What's new

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gib

Crusader
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

On Farts & Sonic Booms

Sonic Booms, while most frequently, are man made but arrive on most of us unexpectedly and, therefore, can be most startling when they arrive.

On the other hand, even when we expect the arrival of one it can still cause us to jump!

Farts – or as the more high browed prefer – flatulence can be emitted in a variety of ways – and odors.

Somewhere I think I once read that Ben Franklin pondered doing research into foods or additives that would add pleasant scents to flatulence.

There is no doubt most peoples life experience has shown to them that farts can be anywhere from undetectable to paint curling. Even cats & dogs get in very stinky ones. Some even feel cow farts contribute methane in levels that have a detrimental bearing on our global atmosphere – or is that some vegan oriented rumor ?

One of the greatest fart stories that ever happened I got to witness in a high school science class.

It happened like this : During a quiet time in class a very loud fart was cut in the back center of the class & as heads turned to look back my still lifelong dear friend sitting in the next to last seat turned at looked at the prissy stuck up nose better than thou girl sitting behind him.

He did this in perfect timing with the rest of the class looking back and deftly made it appear she was the source of that sound.

She, to this day, hates his guts. I love him. It was such a masterful blow !

But, as we all know, sometimes when we think we can eek out a silent one then it betrays us and blows the rim off in an explosion of sound. Socially awkward moment of do I try to ignore it or just own it ?

Old people, man farts come when they come & leaning forward in a chair is pretty much a guarantee one is going to be cut. Ever notice how old people just fart away never missing a beat mid-sentence and letting them fly as natural as breathing ? Perhaps no wonder we call ‘em old farts.

An old people, God, their farts are the worst of all farts – even the dog howls & runs. Oh, nobody anymore ever falls for blaming it on the dog.

Kids are pretty good about farts. They’ll just look at you when you do it & say “ I didn’t cut that fart “ from about the time they can talk on.

Teenage boys seem to have the most fun with contests for loudest, longest, worse smell & so on.

Rarely, there is that treasured one who can effectively use farts as a social comment to what was said in a conversation.

Women farting is a quick topic : they don’t. Ask ‘em, they’ll tell you ! Now if you are light sleeper & the lady has been exhausted if you listen carefully & have good hearing you can hear her let a few ease out during the night. But awake ? Nope. Not going to happen unless you been married more than 40 years, then, and only then, might you hear a lady raucously fart.

giz

PS : Note both Farts & Sonic Booms soon pass.

Giz, you crack me up. :roflmao:

I was at Flag in the early 1990's when the New Pro TR's came out, as a OOT, outer org trainee, along with a bunch of other fellow "clear the planet" members. LOL

Anyways, there we were, all on OT O confronting for two hours, we had a row of I think 10-15 chairs, sitting across from each other. It was all serious. We were about an hour into it, and the Supervisor had left the room, and all of the sudden, there it was heard, not a silent but deadly one, but a Sonic Boom, it lasted a good 3 seconds, you know cheeks flapping.

Somebody snickered, and that was it, we all broke out in the most glorious laughter. And only one person didn't laugh, he kept his TR's in. LOL

We all had to start over, except him. LOL

Hatshepsut

Crusader

Congratulations-2.gif

Nickelodeon-Cast-Of-The-Penguins-Of-Madagascar-Skipper-Kowalski-Private-And-Rico.gif
-
madagascar_show.gif

tumblr_nfk4rhNtgp1tcw4lfo1_400.gif
-
you-did-it.jpg

Last edited:

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

So why is no one having fun here? 2M does not mean we can slack!

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader

So why is no one having fun here? 2M does not mean we can slack!

I went out to dinner with my old high school buddy, Joe and then we saw the movie San Andreas about a hypothetical California earthquake. The movie was not a classic by any means but the special effects were incredible and the acting was pretty good too. My newspaper only rated it a C+ but I rate it a B+ to an A-. It's a good movie to see if you are looking for escape from a the routines of life.

BIRD ALERT ON MY PORCH
Last year a Mommy bird, a Dove, made a nest on top of a storage cabinet on my front porch. She then hatched 2 beautiful babies. This year, I went to clean off the top of that cabinet only to find that there was a nest up there with two eggs in it. Thank God that I did not accidently touch the eggs so I quickly put the nest down in its previous position, or as close to that as I could.

A few days ago the babies hatched and again there were two of them. This morning I went outside and the Mama was proudly sitting there with her two new chicks. The Papa bird had just flown from the nest to the grass below. I went pretty close to the chicks, maybe 5 feet away and talked to the Mom and told her what a good mom she was. She trusts me now and does not at all back away but just keeps looking me in the eye. The two chicks are already almost as big as the Mom. My cat Bella, the one in my Avatar picture came out on the grass about 6' from, the Papa bird but didn't chase him. We were all there, one big happy family. just enjoying the sunshine. the clean ocean air and the nice sea breeze. It was a little bit of paradise right outside my front door.
Lakey

Last edited:

DanLocke

Patron with Honors
Re: I spend another year at CCLA and then move to ASHO

Also, in 1975, CCLA was putting on a big outdoor show in a famous amphitheater in Hollywood, maybe the Greek Theater and I showed up with a non Scientogy date who was very charming and attractive. The show was being hosted by Wings Hauser aka Wings Livingrite. At the time, Wings was married to a CCLA staff member named Sandra Locke, a very beautiful young blonde. Wings sang a lot of songs which had humor. There was a song which had sexual innuendos and was about a sex driven dentist who claimed that he could fill ones cavities (especially if they were females) The other performers with CCLA roots also performed there. I saw Yvonne at this event and she greeted me and my date enthusiastically. In an aside, she told me she thought my date was lovely and that I should immediately bring her to an intro lecture at CCLA.

The CCLA staff member you are mentioning here was Nancy Locke. She was married to my brother, David Locke, and they were both staff at one of Carl Barney's SCS missions in the lates sixties before they divorced. Nancy married Wings sometime after, and I have occasionally talked with her over the years. (She has been very much out since the early eighties, as I recall one of her main upsets at the time was the way that orgs treated the gays she would FSM into CC. She was not in the SO for long.)

I wanted to clear this up as there was a Sondra Locke becoming well known at the time, who was Clint Eastwood's cohabitant (lousy word, but they were never married). I just looked up Sondra and Nancy on the net, and, to my eyes, they looked quite a lot alike in the seventies.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Re: Apollo

I'll add a little more to your knowledge of what you are. In Yiddish, you are a Shiksa and that means a non Jewish woman. In your case, I would add a few descriptives, you are a well educated, smart and honest Shiksa who can write pretty well and paint pretty well:wink2:. A non Jewish man is called a shaygetz.
Lakey

Umm, I would recommend you look up the definition and etymology of shiksa and shaygetz before using the terms in common speech.

Yes, they refer to non-Jewish people, but carry worse connotations than calling a black person an "[n-word]".

lkwdblds

Crusader
Re: I spend another year at CCLA and then move to ASHO

The CCLA staff member you are mentioning here was Nancy Locke. She was married to my brother, David Locke, and they were both staff at one of Carl Barney's SCS missions in the lates sixties before they divorced. Nancy married Wings sometime after, and I have occasionally talked with her over the years. (She has been very much out since the early eighties, as I recall one of her main upsets at the time was the way that orgs treated the gays she would FSM into CC. She was not in the SO for long.)

I wanted to clear this up as there was a Sondra Locke becoming well known at the time, who was Clint Eastwood's cohabitant (lousy word, but they were never married). I just looked up Sondra and Nancy on the net, and, to my eyes, they looked quite a lot alike in the seventies.

Thanks for clearing this up, yes Nancy Locke was the CCLA staff member who was hanging around with Wings. Since Sandra Locke was famous in 1975 as Clint Eastwood's cohabitant I guess I got the names switched. I'm glad to hear that Nancy Locke got out in the early eighties. Do you know anything about Wing's status, did he get out too at that time? Wing's was a very unique guy, he was a a very extroverted and outgoing individual and he did have talent in both singing and acting. I followed his acting career through the 80's and 90's and would go to watch all those "B" type tough guy movies which he starred in. On one "Walker, Texas Range" TV show, starring Chuck Norris, Wings starred as the villain. Chuck Norris is another really outstanding person IMHO! Really, IMO, Wings had a heart of gold, he was an extremely nice guy and a kind person. At CCLA in 1973 he was in the Hatting college along with me and many other staff and took a liking to our Course Supervisor, Carol F. Wings befriended her and dated her for a couple of weeks.

When I was still friends with my brother in the 80's, he went to visit Wings. By then, I don't think that Wings was active anymore but I believe that he was still in good standing. If he ever got totally out, he probably routed out on a routing form and just reverted from S.O. back to public and eventually lost interest. I am just guessing, based only on what my brother told me 30 years ago.

Dan. are you by any chance related to a guy named C. Douglas Locke, who went by the name of Doug Locke? I was good friends with him at IBM in the late 60's. He was a tall thin guy with blonde hair; he was married and his Dad was a Baptist Preacher. Doug turned me on to Edgar Cayce, "the sleeping giant". That was my first venture into the occult, reading Edgar Cayce's books. He was a healer who would go into a trance in a room with a sick person and diagnose their illness and recommend herbal remedies. Later on, he found he could do his readings over the telephone, this was in the 1920's and 30's when he was doing phone readings. He was a devout Christian and for awhile had issues reconciling his healing techniques with his Christian beliefs but eventually he was able to reconcile them.
Lakey

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader

Umm, I would recommend you look up the definition and etymology of shiksa and shaygetz before using the terms in common speech.

Yes, they refer to non-Jewish people, but carry worse connotations than calling a black person an "[n-word]".
I don't have to look it up because I lived it. In the family circle that I lived in "shiksa" and "shaygetz" were used just the way I used them.

I remember my cousin B., the guy who has lived in the same apartment in Palo Alto since 1961, came down to Fullerton to visit us around 1961. My brother and I took him to meet one of his mother's Yenta friends. My cousin is tall and thin, with blonde hair and blue eyes like so many people on my Mom's side of the family. That whole batch of relatives almost all had blonde hair or red hair and were tall and all had blue eyes. The one tell that they might be Jewish is that they pretty much all had Jewish noses.

Anyway, we introduced my cousin to this Jewish Yenta and while he goes to the restroom, she says, who is this guy, why are you hanging out with him and bringing him here. We say, he is our first cousin, Aunt Naomi's son. The lady said to us, "Really, I would have taken him for a shaygetz, he sure doesn't look Jewish".

Then there were these songs, we learned from our Jewish cousins in Dayton, Ohio, "Oy, yoy. yoy, zeta beta toy, what have you done to my little boy, sent him to college to learn to read and write and now he's dating Shiksas on Yom Kippur night. Then there were other Jewish jokes about college such as, "Hey, did you hear about the new Jewish Fraternity for older Jewish students, its called, Zaide laid a Shiksa. Zaide was Yiddish for Grandpa and Shiksa was a Jewish girl.

In 1975, I was dating a Catholic girl in Long Beach. We were adding a bedroom and bath to her parents home. She was 23 and was going to Long Beach City college, a 2 year community college, learning to be an X ray technician. She wanted to get married and I agreed to it. My Grandma started in on me, I don't want you to marry a Shiksa, over and over every time I mentioned her. I would have married that girl and we agreed to announce our engagement as soon as the room addition was completed but I was just getting ready to do OT III and she insisted that I quit CoS, saying that it was a church of the Devil. I really wanted to find out what OT III was all about about and I told that Shiksa that I supported her in her Catholcism and I demanded that she support me in my Scientology religion. She said that she was okay with me being Jewish but not a Scientologists. Eventually, we agreed to break up.

Another incident took place. My parents had Jewish friends named Berman. Their Son Sandy, married outside the Jewish faith. These people came over to visit my parents one day when I was about 9 and my brother was 6. They were completely distressed and in a tremendous tither. What was the problem? Their Son Sandy had become engaged to a Shiksa. Being Jewish and belonging to the local Temple was the most important thing in their lives and their son was planning on marrying a Shiksa. They threatened to disown him if he went ahead with that marriage. My parents tried to talk them into being more accepting of Sandy's fiance. They stressed that these were modern times, then around 1949 or 1950, and that people were now more tolerant.

The Bermans wouldn't listen. Sandy did marry the woman and the Berman's disowned him even though he was their only Son. They came over several times, completely distraught. Previously, they were always bragging about him and what a great guy he was. He was getting straight A's at USC, etc, etc. One day they came over looking like death. Sandy had actually married the Shiksa and they said they were forced to cut all ties with their only child. My parents gave them solace and tried to get them to accept the new wife into their family but they would have no part of it and they wrote Sandy out of their will. A year or so later, those two sad sacks came over again, Sandy's wife had given birth to a grandchild. My parents tried to give encouragement and congratulated them and suggested that the new baby might bring the family back together. Both Bermans were resolute, they had completely disowned their son. his wife and their grandchild. They kept saying that Sandy had betrayed them by marrying a Shiksa. They went to their graves in that state of mind, broken and unhappy people.

In my circle of friends and family, from the 1940's through the 60's when all of my family and about half my friends were Jewish, the words Shiksa and Shaygetz were used simply to mean a non Jewish female or male. Maybe in Europe or Israel or in ancient Poland. Latvia or Russia it meant something else but in Jewish society of the mid 20th century in the USA every Jew I knew used it just as I used it in my post.
Lakey

lkwdblds

Crusader

I wrote the above post to be entertaining but it is a bit wordy. Here is the crux of what I should have said. I don't have to read up on the subject because I lived it. All I know was that in the USA, in informal Jewish circles, the two words Shiksa and Shaygetz were used commonly to refer to none Jewish females and males respectively. This was in the USA of the 1940's through 1960's. Dozens and dozens of Jewish family members and friends used those words over and over and they even appeared in a lot of Jewish Jokes.

In the Jewish circles which I moved in, I only heard the word used that way. Maybe in Poland, Russia, Lativia, Lithuania, Palestine at some other times, the word had very negative connotations. Even so, I have little to no interest in hearing about that. Almost all Jews of the mid 20th century who knew any Yiddish expressions used those words frequently in a non judgmental and non demeaning way. Living with those expression for decades, in various locations inside the USA from L.A. to Ohio to New York City to Florida is good enough for me. To me, those words are entertaining descriptives, no more and no less. I am sure that what you cite, Enthetan, is true and I may look at the references but my personal experiences over many decades rank higher to me than do historical notes.
Lakey

Last edited:

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Re: LISA SPARKS has what claim to fame ?

She likes to put sparklers up people's butts? (lots of petroleum jelly helps)

Bright answer !

Close, but was that , uh, some kind of a sort of kinky back door answer?

. Lisa Sparks has another, uh, side . . . . and she claimed a record that will mostly likely endure.

Leland

Crusader

I wrote the above post to be entertaining but it is a bit wordy. Here is the crux of what I should have said. I don't have to read up on the subject because I lived it. All I know was that in the USA, in informal Jewish circles, the two words Shiksa and Shaygetz were used commonly to refer to none Jewish females and males respectively. This was in the USA of the 1940's through 1960's. Dozens and dozens of Jewish family members and friends used those words over and over and they even appeared in a lot of Jewish Jokes.

In the Jewish circles which I moved in, I only heard the word used that way. Maybe in Poland, Russia, Lativia, Lithuania, Palestine at some other times, the word had very negative connotations. Even so, I have interest in hearing about that. Almost all Jews of the mid 20th century who knew any Yiddish expressions used those words frequently in a non judgmental and non demeaning way. Living with those expression for decades, in various locations inside the USA from L.A. to Ohio to New York City to Florida is good enough for me. To me, those words are entertaining descriptives, no more and no less. I am sure that what you cite, Enthetan, is true and I may look at the references but my personal experiences over many decades rank higher to me than do historical notes.
Lakey

This kinda reminds me of those College kids recently that made a vid that leaked out..... with the Confederate Flag....and using the N word.....

I'm sure they grew up with that also....and it was just "natural" for them also....

LOL....Just joking with you lkwdblds.......:biggrin:

Enthetan....there is the Talmud....and there are those that are considered "unclean"......:p That's just the way it is...

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

In the Jewish circles which I moved in, I only heard the word used that way. Maybe in Poland, Russia, Lativia, Lithuania, Palestine at some other times, the word had very negative connotations. Even so, I have little to no interest in hearing about that. Almost all Jews of the mid 20th century who knew any Yiddish expressions used those words frequently in a non judgmental and non demeaning way. Living with those expression for decades, in various locations inside the USA from L.A. to Ohio to New York City to Florida is good enough for me. To me, those words are entertaining descriptives, no more and no less. I am sure that what you cite, Enthetan, is true and I may look at the references but my personal experiences over many decades rank higher to me than do historical notes.
Lakey

Yes, in the circles you grew up in, the words were likely casually tossed around to refer to non-Jews, just like in 1950's Alabama people used certain words to refer to black people without thinking about it.

My point was, that shaygets comes from the word for "house rodents or lizards", i.e. vermin. However your family used it in your childhood, it may not be a good idea to call somebody that word, who may know the etymology of it.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Lakey, I am sure you were quite innocent in calling me whatever you did. I don't seem to connect with labels so I didn't take it one way or the other. I thought you were trying to have FUN. And fun is of course against the law! (A subversive activity.) Such fighting about beliefs makes my head spin. Dear me.

A few hundred years ago the tequila side went to Mexico and engrossed themselves in all things agave (no I don't know any of them personally). A few hundred years ago also Europe was undergoing its emotional breakdown via inquisition. The truth always needs to purge out its adversaries. I suppose every age has to have freak shows and tragicomedies, just something to feel/impose guilt over. Animals of course are too smart to waste their time on such pursuits. Cats for example are way too relaxed to bother with it.

Actually, and I've not done a DNA test so this is pure speculation, there may have been a few, or at least one, Jewish ancestor in my family way back then, but the impression is that they converted quickly upon encountering those witty carnival barkers cum inquisitors. No point in dying over a piece of paper saying "Jewish" or "Catholic" when for all intents and purposes signing the wrong way was going to add a bit of strain to daily existence, basically end any possibility of having a life. Such as, if you don't abide by x tenets then certainly you are guilty and are damned for all eternity! The thought police put a lot of weight on the fine print....

[video=youtube;FgxEJOi6GtA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxEJOi6GtA[/video]

The Smiths, Bigmouth Strikes Again

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to
Smash every tooth in your head

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her Roman nose
And her Walkman started to melt

Bigmouth, bigmouth
Bigmouth strikes again
And I've got no right to take my place
With the human race

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know of Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her Roman nose
And her hearing aid started to melt

Bigmouth, bigmouth
Bigmouth strikes again
And I've got no right to take my place
With the human race
-The Smiths

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Just here tweaking the serious versus light levels to find the optimal setting.....

Sigh. Like this nice little grey Gretch bass here.... looks just swell but I fumble for those levels there too... :biggrin:

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader

Perhaps using "The South" as an example was not appropriate....

But I don't see much difference in the Brahman Class Hindu.....and what names they might have for the Out Cast....class...."untouchables..."

Or even...Cult of Hubbard members......second generation growing up calling everyone else...Wogs....

But I do understand it is a "protection" mechanism.....for that group's longevity...or cohesion....perhaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.