What's new

Time to say goodbye

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
I tried. I really tried to convince myself I could keep doing this, but I can't. ESMB will be closed

Thank you so much for all your help, kindness and support. We are still around if you ever need support from us. You’ve certainly given it your all. A heartfelt thank you!! Hugs and love and go well. Xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
What can I say?

I popped into here after the weekend to find this. Wow.

This place was the first step I took to truly get out of the kult. I lived here for the first 6 months of freedom from pursuing the illusion of Total Freedom. Literally. I’d come home from work and get onto the Board and read.

Somehow our marriage survived.

I’ve not been here for a while and forgotten how addictive it is to banter and argue with the only people in the world who knew what the 30 years lost were like. And the good (and bad) times we shared.

Someday I’ll get around to finishing Scooterstory/Thirty Years in the Fourth Reich. Or maybe not. But if I do, then the peeps here will figure prominently.

Especially you, Emms. You did an amazing job navigating the mine field that was ESMB. My eternal thanks for all the time, energy, compassion and patience you put into this. Enjoy your retirement and we’ll stay in touch no doubt. As I guess a lot of us will.

ESMB created a community.

The kult could never compete with that achievement.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Step away from the keyboard and focus on getting your kid married and grandbabies created.
I'm not sure, as a mother, I want to "focus" on my daughter's reproductive urges. I'd rather not think about it! Just present me a baby. STAT!
If I have friends who might want to search the archive in future years,
will they need to have a current member password to access
all threads and "members only" areas of the proposed archive?

Should I ask them to register and become members now, while
that option is available? Or no need for this as the entire archive
-- all threads -- will be open to any and all visitors?

I know a lot of people "look in" nowadays, but don't have a member
password.
Tell them to create one. It takes 2 minutes. Member threads will only be visible to members.
Create a new membership (call it guest001 or somesuch), save the password. After the site goes read-only, since no user will be able to post new stuff, it won't matter if you give the same user ID and password to all your friends.
Or do that.
First of all, I love you like a sister. Your existence has helped me in so many ways.

Next, I want to apologize for not being proactive in your life but I've been experiencing depression my self and it's hard to help others when you are so fucking miserable.

I am so very happy for you for ending this message board. It will be a wonderful and valuable archive of all things Scientology!

You are the fucking best.

Love,

Patty
I love you too. You will be ok. We will be ok. :rose:

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
I can say with no doubt it was ESMB wot fixed me.
A handful of people untangled my quagmire of a story and clearly pointed out the gaslighting that occurred in my situation.
Something I could not see at all even after decades of pondering it.
I didn’t even give all the facts, really just a broad overview. It’s as if they knew the underpinnings so well, they weren’t really needed.
And damned if the truth actually did set me free.

I’ve grown to love so many people on this board from reading their stories. Too many to name.

I will never ever ever forget talking to David Mayo, especially considering how much time I spent in ethics defending him, even though I had no earthly idea what was happening behind the scenes.

And Alan who knew just a little bit about Dean Stokes, ha understatement there. Since, I’d had my battles with him also, again with complete blinders on.

And Scooter, you’d be surprised how often I think of you and how deeply your story touched me. My god the stories. They’re pure gold.
I never had the courage to tell mine. I had to admit I just didn’t have it in me. I am so grateful to those who did.

What a relief in the end to realize my story HAD been told, many times... with just different characters and locations.

Emma what you’ve done here is a work of art on a grand scale. I will never forget it.

This is shocking news first thing in the morning, but I’m glad you’re moving on.
I’ve withdrawn from the internet considerably (it just ain’t what it used to be) and sensibly retreated back into art and books.
I also have a 3 year old grandson now and I am newly inspired by him. After all, he is one of the best ones ever made;)

Perhaps he has some dark Scientology legacy in his family history, ultimately its meaningless. They can’t touch that.
And you’re high on the list of people who created the medium to clear this old granny’s head of god only knows what nonsense I may have taught him.

I’m indebted and very thankful.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Tell them to create one. It takes 2 minutes. Member threads will only be visible to members.
When ESMB goes read-only, have you considered having the members-only threads become visible to the world, so Google and such can index them too?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
When ESMB goes read-only, have you considered having the members-only threads become visible to the world, so Google and such can index them too?
I've considered it, but members always knew that member area posts were NOT going to be able to be read by the general public. I would hate to violate that trust now.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I've considered it, but members always knew that member area posts were NOT going to be able to be read by the general public. I would hate to violate that trust now.
Enthetan's earlier suggestion of having a "guest1" login (or similar) will, I assume, take place anyway by others. In the future, I figure anyone who wants one will be able to get an ESMB member's logon -- i.e. 500 people globally might be using the same logon. It's not obvious to me whether this would be good or bad.

Paul

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I think you might overestimate the amount of interest :)

I don't mind people reading those posts if they've gone to the effort of logging in. That's one thing. But to have google index them, and have people be able to link to them is another.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Is there going to be a prize for the member who makes the very last post ever on ESMB? I'm asking for a friend.
You can use E-bay sniper to post up to the last millisecond. That should guarantee winning. Assuming all the SPs are using atomic clocks to set their workstation time.

tesseract

Patron with Horrors
Thank you so much for all your help, kindness and support. We are still around if you ever need support booze money from us. You’ve certainly given it your all. A heartfelt thank you!! Hugs and love and go well. Xxx

I'm not too sure I'm so good at this... ;)
(Also, FIFY. :D )

tough.jpg

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
You can use E-bay sniper to post up to the last millisecond. That should guarantee winning. Assuming all the SPs are using atomic clocks to set their workstation time.
You think the shutdown occurs by atomic time? I expect it's just Emma going,"Shit, I shouldn't have had that last martini, I'm ten minutes late."

Besides, it's her honour to have the final post.

Paul

Last edited:

xela3991

Patron
As a never-in, this forum has provided me a glimpse inside Scientology and the world L Ron Hubbard created greater than any one perspective, interview, book, or documentary ever could. Within this forum are gems to be treasured greater than any discovery LRH made. Here is the record of hundreds of people finding their own freedom from the Co$, speaking their truth to an overwhelming power, and reclaiming their past friends and memories for their own.

I probably have read nearly a thousand posts, and each of them are more illuminating and inspiring for the human spirit than whatever LRH word-saladed into a dictaphone. Your stories are the true “gains” of Scientology. Some of them are viciously hard-fought battles that stretch the limits of human endurance, but survivors still rise above the abuse, torture, sexual violence, and family destruction, to spread a gospel of Truth prevailing over lies. Thank you all for sharing your part of the Truth.

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
I can say with no doubt it was ESMB wot fixed me.
I’m indebted and very thankful.
I guess I couldn't find the words . . . .

Victoria just put words to how I feel.

I've been lurking here since early 2007 and a posting member since 2010.
ESMB is an online destination I checked in on every day since I learned
about it. I know without it, I probably wouldn't have resolved my life to a
better place like I eventually did over time.

It took a lot of reading and getting into phone contact on the back channel
with a couple of various posts' authors. I just couldn't believe some of what
I was reading. Now, I'm a believer.

I met some of the best people I've ever known when I was in scientology.
Strangely, some of the bestest people I've ever known landed on ESMB. :coolwink:
Funny how life worked out.
That's a really lovely photo of you @Emma on The Bunker.
Strikingly beautiful! :wow: