What's new

My bridge to OTVII

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
That mention of a Scientology funeral service brought back memories. I went to a freezone one in 1987 (Leslie Lee's, if anyone remembers him from St Hill) and it was dignified if not actually inspiring. Steve Bisbey did a good job.

Definitely not appropriate for children though I agree.

BTW, just in case there's any doubt I'm also horrified about the way you and your daughter have been treated. Extremely PTS child? These people really don't have a clue.

Feral

Rogue male
Over time and with a lot of therapy our girl did improve and in this endeavor we were given some serious gifts. She was able to do almost any maths instantaneously, she also was a speed reader, digesting a page in about 2 seconds, we learned to communicate with her via a board with the alphabet on it and got her to write a daily diary. It is called "facilitating". I was so proud of her at the age of three she wrote; 'today my tooth came out" within a short period she was writing letters to her friends. Even though she was ahead in these ways, her overall development was not in step with the passing of time; in short we were getting behind, not catching up. The expression of brain injury in a kid is usually developmental delay, as time goes on that delay can create an ever widening gap between the actual age of the kid and their mental age, plus any other specific attendant mental problems they may have. I saw our future as a family in very gloomy terms. Such as my wife and I changing diapers till the day we die, carrying, feeding dressing and managing the tantrums of a frustrated being who would get stronger and heavier while we got weaker with age. It is a situation I could not have imagined while being at the top of the grade chart, "where standard tech can raise you to states where nothing can strike you down". Here we were, it looked like all three of us were bound by this problem for the rest of our lives, and what then ?, after we were gone ? How would I ensure that her future was as good as I would like it to be for her ? We had gone from the illusion of potent, powerful pre OTs to being thrust into a problem where no adequate solution existed. We were trapped, all three of us, we had to help her, but had no adequate tools, many approaches helped up to a point , then dead ended.

One very cool thing that happened was with the Doman program. They require a drill called patterning, (it is just the name of the exercise), from nearly all of the families. It is done 10 times daily, in two brackets each of five 'patterns' lasting five minutes each, with a gap for other therapy in between . This exercise requires volunteers, between two and four depending on the kid, we recruited a team of 30 'patterners', it was the easiest thing we ever did. My wife put an ad in a shop window, we also asked a neighbor who in turn recruited the whole street. Some came every week for five years, and drove up to 15 miles for the privilege. These people made me truly see the best that the human race has to offer, once or twice a scientologist would come and pattern, only one ever came a second time. But these "wogs" had compassion without limit. There was the "call in" which we did weekly to cover empty spots in our weekly patterning schedule, it would take about ten minutes, very different to org or OT committee call in.

Around 2003 the taxation office came after us, they billed us a total of $2.1 million dollars. I had to squint to read all the zeros, I was sure I was counting too many, double vision or something. We were caught in a policy change of the tax office, the retirement funds we had contributed to had beeen disallowed, a total reversal of their previous stance on the matter, there was huge penalties and interest. We were caught with hundreds of other business men and several scientologists, the matter went on for years. There was a parliamentary inquiry on the tax offices stance and laws were changed so they could never again do what they did, but it did not help us, as the changes were not made retro-actively .In our situation we did have an excellent case against them. The tax office did not respond to any of our submissions, we sent explaining that they had no case, they just ignored our representations, but they did send us quarterly statements with the additional interest, at 13% per annum it was mounting much faster than I was earning money, which wasn't fast as I spent my days trying to help my daughter and solo auditing. If we lost the case we were finished, we would lose everything. It felt like a sword was over my head, ready to drop. Also by this time, years of solo and feeling like I was getting nowhere plus the seemingly endlessness of my daughters therapy, the possibility of impending poverty worried me greatly. I had lost my confidence in myself to re-establish ourselves financially.

Eventually the matter went to a hearing, about six of us banded togther to defend it and share costs, the judge called it "the scientology matter" as all the parties had trusts which they used to donate money to the church. The first thing we discovered was the tax office lawyers had no clue about what their case was, they had read nothing. To think I had been in a state of semi-panic for three years, thinking I might be wrong and they might have some killer argument and we'd lose everything ! Over several hearings we won outright though it had cost us a fortune. But the sword was gone.

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
It was a paradoxical situation to be in; here we supposedly had the tech of life, any one who has heard the OT Doctorate lectures gets a pretty big and clear idea of what scientology promises and yet we were struggling to help our child in any meaningful way and under that strain the rest of life was not the great adventure that I had expected either, in fact it was a slog. The tech was not able to remedy the main problem. We were told to "just tell her to exteriorize and fix the body"..and that "LRH said the spasticity was just the stop button being out". Someone also told me we just had to run out the engram. Yeah, right and the brain damage will just heal up ! I was even seen as weird for 'believing' in the brain, a lot of scientologists don't believe in 'the brain', they think it is some kind of psych trick. A class 8 auditor told me that doctors and science had it all wrong according to Ron. He felt that he controlled his body directly, bypassing the neurology. Implying but not saying; "why work on the brain injury ?"

I think at that time the congresses or something was coming out and there were stories of the blind seeing and the crippled walking from the '50s being told at flag graduations by the Captain Debbie Cook, along with other miracles. These stories were about all I could take, it just did not wash with us. How come then, after 50 years of tech development in scientology we could not find a solution in the tech for our kid if the results were so great back then ?

The expectation from some began to be, "well if you can't fix her get on with the game of clearing the planet", (the true crusade, compared to which the needs of a child don't compare). Another person on solo nots said to me,"what about your dynamics?". I even received a KR that I was using her as an excuse to not go into the local org.

I had in the past been an active Field Staff Member, or FSM for scientology, and had helped many people get onto OTVII, but I would have been a hopeless reg. I could only get people onto the bridge if I was convinced they would win, that was based on whether I felt I had been winning, a very subjective test, and terribly flawed reasoning. See; if I was struggling and unhappy, losing too many of the battles of life I blamed myself; my ethics, technical competence, wisdom, intelligence, etc. But if I was winning and feeling good, well that was the marvelous tech that Ron had given us, so in that circumstance I would promote OTVII, and other scientology services. Scientologists call it being "revitalised".

Over the years we got many friends and family members on to the bridge, as well as helping scientologists to take their next step. So, right at this point we were not winning, oddly enough we got many clues that flag did not want to pay FSMs, ...that's right it was a paying gig, 10% of the publics donation was given as commission. But now flag had cut the payment of commission on six month C/Sing, next they took some wacky interpretation of Hubbards forbodance of married couples "cross selecting" each other. It was interpreted as no commissions paid on spouses. Then they stopped paying commissions on the sec checks, which were the majority of the service, so a person on OT VII could not fund their own solo nots working full time as an FSM. I worked out roughly that the amount of "selections" of people onto solo nots to fund ones own solo nots went from 25 to 100. I had helped several people on the level that were still on it.... from before when I was able to rationalise that it was a worthwhile thing to do. Now my income dried up from it, seemingly on someones whim. But the demands from flag to put people on the level did not, I could not understand, if flag wanted people to go onto OT VII, as they said they did, why kick their FSMs livelihood out from under them? About every month the public on solo nots would be ordered to get a new person onto the level after that. Why pay commissions when you can just order someone to do it...and imply it was a point of vital participation to ensure that you yourself could continue on your route to total freedom?. You know..."do it or else your eternity may be in question".

Several times during my scientology career I was introduced to the hard sell data. Hard selling, according to Hubbard, is caring enough about the person in front of you that you insist that they buy. It is also applied to the IAS, super power and other "money for nothing" regging that is done, although it might take a bit of a stretch of the imagination. Now the doctrine of hard selling brings out an intensity and fervent dedication in staff members that borders on the manic at times. It engages the best and most earnest efforts of the staff.....to make money for the church. So the staffs most sincere intentions to see that a person is salvaged are profitably engaged by Hubbard to add to the coffers of scientology. It also permeates the culture, to the exclusion of all other activities. It is backed by KSW no. 1, though in an indirect way. When one is meant to be hammering out of existence incorrect technology and the future of every man woman and child depends on what we do, it goes without saying that you should not be at the football, or building a new house.

By this stage we were not participating in the expansion of scientology, as was expected of us. We were helping the parents of brain injured kids find non mainstream solutions, things that they could do to help their kids. Some families took it in their stride when they had a kid that was hurt, I admired that greatly, but could not emulate it. Some were wrecks, and often on psych medication. I found a lot of these guys tough to help as they had been overwhelmed by the problem. So they took the drugs which numbed them to the situation, they just sort of accepted it, in a "oh well" kind of way. On one occasion when we got a family going on a therapy the mum stopped taking the drugs on her own. But many families broke up over the trauma. One or the other parent could not go the distance. For me it was often too close to home, helping them with their kids, but it needed to be done, I could not endure seeing families go through what we did, without doing anything. At that stage, I felt it was far more helpful than working in the field for the church, even if it never paid a cent, which is exactly what it paid.

Div6

Crusader
You sir, are the closest I have seen to an "OT".....its funny how once you get some distance, how causative and able you really can be without the "cult" overlay.

Mary

Patron with Honors
I just read through your story - uhm, lost for words to tell you how much it touched my heart.

See; if I was struggling and unhappy, losing too many of the battles of life I blamed myself; my ethics, technical competence, wisdom, intelligence, etc. But if I was winning and feeling good, well that was the marvelous tech that Ron had given us, so in that circumstance I would promote OTVII, and other scientology services. Scientologists call it being "revitalised".

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Feral

You have us all totally enthralled with your "autobiography".
It is one of life's "real " deal story. The gamut of emotions-the victories and defeats are all there. It's an honor to hear such a tale.
How to you feel now?

Terril park

Sponsor
Your efforts and care are phenomenal, and serve as a
wonderful example to just about anyone. Its truly the stuff that heroes are made of.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Good God! - This is almost too tough to even read about...

Like Div6 observed.. You are a freakin' OT Feral! - But I don't see Scientology deserving any credit for it..

Your little girl is known to me now.. I will think of her! Hopes for all the best.. And love...

:hattip:

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
Her name-please

It's possible that I missed it, but speaking for your reading audience we would love to have her[daughter's]name. A nick name will do-we just want to personalize her.

Feral

Rogue male
Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I am very touched. You fellers are terrific.

We didn't and don't feel like OTs or heroes, I was wondering if I had not shown the events in the true light when I saw those comments for a little while. We really felt out-pointy and downstat.

A funny story, at our expense, to show how intent we were. One time when we were at flag on one of those GAT "refreshers" we had gone via the Doman institute and they had fired us up on getting our girl moving, you know crawling on her belly. They targeted us to build it up to 400 meters per day. It was explained to us as her best chance at recovery.

Now we were supposed to do their program all day every day, and here we were waiting at flag for a week to start our next round of FPRD!. We had to get her therapy done. So my wife and I had her crawling up and down the long hall way between the restaurant and the AO lobby. We were cheering her on and putting her picture books down on the floor a few meters in front of her to keep her coming. I did the same at the Sandcastle reception area.

She was getting filthy, and I got a lot of strange looks.:screwy: people had to step around us but I was practically oblivious and almost totally indifferent to any ones opinion :hand: LOL

Feral

Rogue male
We took her to a zoo one day when she was about five, I sat her on the railing of the monkey cage. She was wriggling, trying to get closer to the monkeys. I told her to be careful, 'cos if she fell in she might get mixed her up with the monkeys and I could take a monkey home by mistake. She really laughed, it was the first time she ever got a joke. She even mentioned it in her diary the next day.

At home I call her 'Little Monkey', I tell her that we need to go back to the zoo to see if I got it wrong and my daughter is in the cage with the primates.

Her real name is Courtney.

It's possible that I missed it, but speaking for your reading audience we would love to have her[daughter's]name. A nick name will do-we just want to personalize her.

Last edited:

Feral

Rogue male
After eight years of therapy and fourteen of solo nots our marriage nearly split. It was about two years ago, and I was not able to see any future with the family that I could endure. There also was another woman I am ashamed to say, it was not a fling, I was looking for a way out and she had 'fallen in love' with me. I was called to flag, I was a year or two late for my "refresher" which I had been studiously avoiding. I got some basic scientology auditing finally which shifted some upset about my kid, a prep check and PTS handling. Then I got two more intensives of FPRD, tailor made which brought the total to 13 ints while on OT VII, along with the regular sec checks that took me to 17 ints give or take, ( my wife used 11 ints and then 6 on her last trip, which included the EP check). I also got rebuked in ethics by an MAA that was yet to lose her virginity let alone ride out 22 years of marriage with it's ups and downs. So I got LOTS of ethics and plenty of make wrong on the subject. But after this auditing I was able to create the family again and we planned another kid. We were together and at ease with each other, and now I cringe at the thought of leaving my wife to raise our daughter alone, too horrible, too hard. My problem was never that I did not like them, actually the opposite, I just couldn't face where it was going for any of us. Solo nots was not helping with that, in fact it was making it worse, as it would keep dredging up the upset in session without adequately discharging it. Solo nots kept us fairly introverted, always looking in when auditing it, always pressing us up against painful internal turmoil and I could not count the times I flew ruds over it, but finally the basic tech did create relief, it was my first review on OT VII and it did help, even if it was too little too late.

After a lot of work re-creating our marriage we planned to have another kid. It was a serious effort to reclaim the wholeness of our family.While we were expecting our new baby my wife went to flag, after twelve years on the level she felt she was done. I stayed home and juggled work and my daughters care, I even managed to do a little therapy....not much though. It took five weeks for my partner to do the "EP" check and it used a total of six intensives including the sec check. When she got through she was five months pregnant and very uncomfortable physically. It was decided that she would skip OT VIII and come home.

We were excited to get her back, of course and picked her up at the regional airport. When she got off the plane I was shocked she had swollen ankles from the flight they looked as though they might burst, she was very swollen in general and was very distressed, she tried to cover up saying that she felt good, but she was grimacing, sort of wincing. After having had a disaster with our first kid I was very anxious. Panic was rising in me I had a knot in my gut. I took her straight to the hospital, we were there for a couple of hours and had several tests. It looked OK and we went home, after a few days the swelling went down. My wife got much more comfortable but needed a lot of care to the end of the pregnancy.

We had a little boy ,at the time of this writing he is seven months old and perfect in every way. He is the happiest baby I have ever seen, which has been a big "leveler" at a time when being a scientologist was becoming a questionable endeavor. Having another kid was something I was unwilling to do for the last eight years, while battling through life with my little girl's problems. But after the basic auditing and nearly wrecking our marriage, then coming back from the brink my willingness was restored.

He is the joy in our lives and his sister loves him even though she says that he is too little to play with.

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I am very touched. You fellers are terrific.

We didn't and don't feel like OTs or heroes, I was wondering if I had not shown the events in the true light when I saw those comments for a little while. We really felt out-pointy and downstat.

The thing is, dear Feral, that many readers here have a very good idea of the mountains of emotions that lie behind your words, and can appreciate the courage you both have. It is courage, it is integrity and it is the type of behaviour that "Oteees" are supposedly aiming to achieve. You however did it despite the efforts to make you give up care of your daughter, or follow the efforts to make you buckle and become a robotic pawn. You kept on trying, believing that the answers were still there...maybe over the next hill. Those of us who have experienced similar paths appreciate your wonderful writing of how it happened to you.

I watched another very dear friend of mine and her husband and child struggle on the OT VII treadmill for many, many years. It caused such extreme distress to the family unit and their business. They are probably still doing it, I don't know, and can only hope they realise one day that your future is what you make it each and every day, not some utopia that is realised when you have spent enough money.

I have come to understand how life brings you exactly the events and people you need in order to learn lessons that are specific for each of us. Having experienced how scientology treats those who do not 'measure up' for myself, and being forced to find alternative ways of coping, as you did, I am now grateful that my experiences woke me up enough to find my way out. I think your daughter also brought you this gift, no matter how difficult it has been, and the end result is a loving family. And that is one thing scientology does not have a good track record of!

Bless you and yours! You are in my thoughts. :happydance: