What's new

Bill Frank's story about brainwashing (thread merge)

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for posting this Bill and also, welcome to the Board!

I consider this information very valuable, especially for those of us who are trying to decipher this mess.

TP

Daisy

Patron with Honors
Mr Franks,

Why now? What made you decide to speak up about this?

I do welcome any info on how we were brainwashed. The info about O/W's is quite astounding for me. Little by little if we can take all those lies fed to us and replace with the truth can only help us.

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
Hi Bill,

It's amazing and incredible to hear you posting.

This point about ARC Break causing blows, as the most fundamental reason, fits in with my thoughts that the LIC, and L4BR, and Green Form, Green Form 40, the repair lists of Scientology, are simply WAY MORE helpful, than the focus on False Purpose Rundown Auditing for 'evil pruposes' which after 1982-1983 became the focus again.

This is a huge important tech idea you bring up.

Also, the original "Book of Case Remedies," written in 1964 by LRH, ALSO says roughly what you say above Bill.

Pages 21 to 27 speak of the pc being given wins in auditing, and that "blows" occur simply by reason of not having enough wins. And what causes the lack of wins are ARCXs, Problems and Overts, the rudiments.

To me, the LIC and C/S 53, the Green Form 40, it you look at what the Case Crackers at the FSO use to "crack" cases, it is just assessment of the main large correction lists, and they really do (or did) find the right bypassed charge, and handle it. And overts and "evil purposes" (which later in 1982-1983 the whole damn focused False Purpose Rundown campaign, with the "red coat" trainees at Int which happened then) became a serious control thing like in line.

I'd be interested if the people who had to deal with the 1982 vintage LRH traffic at R Tech Comps then under the Senior C/S Int office, how they dealt with that 1982 traffic about the "security checking for false and evil purposes" which has since then DOMINATED how the auditing is done on the RPF. "Security Checking for False and evil purposes" IS the guts of the style of auditing on the RPF. LRH did reiterate that that was to be the style of auditing on the RPF, he wrote, in 1982ish.

And during my 7 years on the RPF, my subjective perception of those around me who "graduated" (I never graduated, I would agree this "ARC Break" LRH admission to you and David Mayo, I'd admit that the "ARC" reason is subjectively "true for me", when I chose and did route out), but the graduates to me looked a bit artificial. They looked like they were putting on a show, as ever so slightly under the surface. Particularly, on the RPF today, the big auditing rundown one does is the "Truth Rundown" and due to the situation, if one's superiors in the Sea Org treated one like shit, and ARC broke the hell out of one, and if one uttered some "black propaganda" about one's "well intentioned superiors" or had one uttered some "black propaganda" about any of the "well intentioned units" in the Sea Org, even IF those superiors and units were indeed acting viciously and irrationally, then you are on the RPF, you get all your uttered "black propaganda" "rolled back" (traced back to when you said it and when you took those black propaganda viewpoints), and the Truth Rundown is the auditing procedure you do as the primary auditing rundown today, and you have to reverse your black propaganda "viewpoints" of those superiors and units, and the "tech" is the finding of your BIG overts that relate to those superiors or units, and tracing it back to the evil purposes and "prior confusions" at the very bottom, down the pasttrack.

So in effect, in the final history of the tech, as LRH refined it in his final years, he tied in the "prior confusion" underneath the evil purpose, underneath the wholetrack chain of overts, on the RPF for the RPFers, relating to the RPFer's black propaganda utterances against superiors and superior units of the Sea Org who ARC broke the HELL out of one!!!!!

And THAT is the Truth Rundown procedure, which to me, arguably, is the final most correct target for brainwashing.

So, subjectively, to me, this revelation of yours is RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

I really hope someone leaks the Truth Rundown issues into the public domain.
They are candidates, including the circumstances of how those issues are being applied, for actual brainwashing. The people who graduate the RPF, are truly "broken" people, in my subjective opinion, today.

Anyways, I think the 1991 edition of the Book of Base Remedies (written by LRH in 1964) is the closest publicly to his admission he wrote to you and David Mayo.

Thanks so much Bill.

I would very much like to interview you about your hindsight views of the executive style of Sea Org officers, and if that style is positive or negative, and if you think there is any possibility that Scientology administratively is redeemable.

It's truly amazing to see you posting Bill!

Thankyou so much.

Chuck Beatty
one of the old Int Training Org staff, when you were ED ITO, and I remember the LRH traffic even then, to you, as CO ITO, from CO ITO you rose then to ED Int. The history in your head deserves a book!
[email protected]
412-260-1170 Pittsburgh

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
While it is MORE sane to say people blow from ARC-Xs than to say they blow because of O/W's......that is not really the total picture either.

NAZI ALERT!

What if someone escaped a concentration camp?

Was it because they were ARC-Xen?

I don't think so.

That is a very odd, culty way to look at things.

They escaped because they were being tortured, terrorized and killed.

What's wrong with English?

So why did Scientologists "blow"?

The first part of the answer is THEY DID NOT BLOW.

They escaped.

And they didn't escape because of their "case" (ArcX, O/W, etc...)

They escaped because they became smart enough or strong enough to escape.

Or thru sheer desperate self-preservation.

That ain't no ArcX.

That's sanity.

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Good question. Why now, Bill?

I can't speak for Bill, but my answer is: "Why not now"?

I have posted tons of stuff and maybe Bill has too, but often it seems nobody reads it or remembers it. Plus some of us have been villified and black PRed by "OSA" :omg:

Just because some people have 10's of thousands of posts does not make them "experts". Just because some supposed "experts" call real ex-SO damaged goods doesn't mean we shouldn't be listened to. Funny how it is mostly ex Sea Org who get called loons. I am sure there is some truth to that, but there are very few of us still standing and willing to speak out. Many of the EX-Sea Org I know are too afraid and too devastated to speak out.

It is always a good idea to consider the source of the information before you believe any thing. Scientology and L.Ron Hubbard would be a case for that point.

[Extract from "Information Disease: Have Cults created a New Mental
Illness?" by Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman. Science Digest January 1982
pp86-92]

"A very effective thought control technique could also be worked out from
Scientology, which could be used to make individuals into willing slaves."
-L Ron Hubbard

[description of the authors' research into the long term effects of
involvement with various cults]

Two groups in particular showed signs of inflicting the most
severe physical, mental and emotional harm on their members: the Hare
Krishna and the Church of Scientology. Among all groups, Krishna and
Scientology tied with the Unification Church in reports of physical
deprivation. Their members reported getting the least sleep per night and
having the most deficient daily diet.
The rituals of the Church of Scientology bear little resemblance
to those of any other cult. With its extensive program of "training
regimens" and expensive "auditing" counseling, Scientology operates
successfully as both religion and mass-marketed therapy. According to
those who responded to our survey, however, Scientology's may be the most
debilitating set of rituals of any cult in America. Onetime Scientologists
who answered our questionnaire reported that it took them, on the average,
more than two years (26 months) before they felt fully rehabilitated- more
than *twice* the time of those from other major cults [Hare Krishna: 11.1
months, Divine Light Mission: 12.3 months].

Moreover, former Scientologists surpassed all others in reported
incidents of physical punishment while in the group (35 percent) and, upon
departure, they claimed the highest rates of sexual dysfunction (22
percent), violent outbursts (28 percent) [average is 14 percent],
hallucinations and delusions (28 percent) [average is also 14 percent] and
suicidal or self-destructive tendencies (44 percent) [average is 21%]. On
average, former Scientologists surveyed reported more than *twice* the
combined negative effects of all the other cult groups.

Ironically, although claiming the most severe long-term effects,
former Scientologists surveyed reported the *lowest* total of hours
per week spent in ritual and indoctrination. This apparent discrepancy
seems to support opinions we have expressed earlier that, in combination,
Scientology's training regimens and "auditing" counseling sessions
(conducted on an E-meter, a kind of crude lie detector) may have an
intensifying and compounding effect on the nervous system that goes beyond
that of simpler cult rituals. And that, *hour for hour, Scientology's
techniques may be more than twice as damaging as those of any other major
cult in America!* In our view, this could be a vital direction for further
research by scientists working in the field of neurophysiology.

"The overall impact? Devastating!" wrote one ex-member. "I still
tend to view the world in Scientological terms: 'Truth is only an
illusion.' 'People are robots.' 'People are basically insane and dangerous.'"
Another was even more bitter: "The only thing I got out of this scam was
deep suicidal depression coinciding with the fear of death within five
years after separation. We were told that ninety percent of all 'refund
cases' eventually commit suicide."

HelluvaHoax!

And it is ludicrous to believe that Scientology either:

1) Knows the reason people blow.

2) Could do anything about it even if they did know the reason.​

EXAMPLE (true one): Before I left the Sea Org I got a review and it ended up with the Green Form.

'Continuously Committing Present Time Overts' is what read--and was taken up with the L & N "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PREVENT?"

My LFBD F/N item was: "Restimulation from Scientology".

Now what, technophiles?

Whadyagonnadonow?

------everything above this is true------

------everything below this is an Ideal Hoax-----

AUDITOR
I'd like to indicate that your item is
"Restimulation from Scientology"

HOAX
Wow, yeah! That's it alright.

AUDITOR
Well, I'll just turn this into the C/S and
get the next standard Scientology handling for that.

HOAX
Uhhhh, did you f*cking understand
what I just said?!

Big hugs to thread posters!

Thanks everybody! This is all good useful information and valid viewpoints. I know that this discussion is going to help a lot of people to understand and heal more...

Keep it up! :happydance:

Sindy

Crusader
Oh my goodness. It's just so basic.

Bottom line is that people don't like paying an organization to treat them like crap, mishandle them, degrade and invalidate them or treat them like second class citizens. They didn't become part of a religion to be lorded over.

In the real world, that's why they have "Customer Care Reps" and "Suggestion Boxes" and "How are we Doing? Surveys" and "Client Retention Programs" and, and, and.....:duh:

When I tried to leave aol (7 years ago), they actually made it impossible. I still use aol. They gave it to me for free! They begged me and gave me the red carpet to stay.

If aol had used the church model they would have blamed me for their shitty service and made me pay for an upgrade that didn't do anything while they had covert agents call all the other Internet service providers to tell them what a deadbeat I am.

The C of S has horrible "customer care" built right into the tech. It is a joke. Forget about O/Ws and ARCX...It's just common f--king sense.

Div6

Crusader
And it is ludicrous to believe that Scientology either:

1) Knows the reason people blow.

2) Could do anything about it even if they did know the reason.​

EXAMPLE (true one): Before I left the Sea Org I got a review and it ended up with the Green Form.

'Continuously Committing Present Time Overts' is what read--and was taken up with the L & N "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PREVENT?"

My LFBD F/N item was: "Restimulation from Scientology".

Now what, technophiles?

Whadyagonnadonow?

------everything above this is true------

Well, the instructions on the XGF show something like this:
First, L/N - What are you trying to prevent? and R3R the item out. Second, 2wc committing continuous overts to EP.

We might have to do a "who or what would represent Restimulation from Scientology" to get the item to erase.​

lkwdblds

Crusader
Nice summary of the basics!

Bottom line is that people don't like paying an organization to treat them like crap, mishandle them, degrade and invalidate them or treat them like second class citizens. They didn't become part of a religion to be lorded over.

In the real world, that's why they have "Customer Care Reps" and "Suggestion Boxes" and "How are we Doing? Surveys" and "Client Retention Programs" and, and, and.....:duh:

When I tried to leave aol (7 years ago), they actually made it impossible. I still use aol. They gave it to me for free! They begged me and gave me the red carpet to stay.

If aol had used the church model they would have blamed me for their shitty service and made me pay for an upgrade that didn't do anything while they had covert agents call all the other Internet service providers to tell them what a deadbeat I am.

The C of S has horrible "customer care" built right into the tech. It is a joke. Forget about O/Ws and ARCX...It's just common f--king sense.

Synthia, very nice summary of the theme of this thread. It cuts right to the heart of the topic of why people leave an organization!

Nevertheless, in the case of C of S, there are so many interesting and incredible side issues present and it is full of anecdotes involving LRH, Franks, Mayo, DM and others.

To me understanding these anecdotes is interesting and entertaining but most of all it is informative and yields understanding. For those of us who were taken in by C of S and invested huge amounts of our time, energy and money to their cause, it is very helpful to really understand what scheme was used upon us to illicit so much of our support.

C of S seems to be imploding now and as the dust settles, the more we can understand the phenomena of what took place, the better off everyone will be, both the perpetrators, the victims and just observers who mainly want to understand what this furor is all about.
Lakey aka Gary

Ulf K. Maier

Patron Meritorious
The real Why

I agree, but I'll go ya one more basic:

People who are upset (ARCXen) with Scientology ALL have something in common:

THEY WERE PROMISED SOMETHING WHICH WAS NEVER DELIVERED.

I'll go even further and point out that:

THERE WAS NEVER NEVER ANY INTENTION TO DELIVER WHAT WAS PROMISED, AS IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO SO.

Why?

THE "TECH" OF MAKING HOMO SAPIENS INTO HOMO NOVIS IS A CALCULATED SCAM, WHICH CANNOT LIVE UP TO ITS HYPE.
IT IS, HOWEVER, EFFECTIVE AT MAKING WILLING SLAVES OF PEOPLE, WHICH WAS ALWAYS ITS GOAL, AS PER HUBBARD'S ADMISSIONS.

"What a lot of people don't realize is that Scientology is black magic that is just spread out over a long time period. To perform black magic generally takes a few hours or, at most, a few weeks. But in Scientology it's stretched out over a lifetime, and so you don't see it. Black magic is the inner core of Scientology --and it is probably the only part of Scientology that really works." Ron DeWolf, AKA L. Ron Hubbard Jr.

I have yet to see or hear of someone disproving what Nibs said.

So, Mr Franks, are you still intent on salvaging the parts of the "tech" that work?
If so, you will meet with unmitigated opposition.

HelluvaHoax!

First, L/N - What are you trying to prevent? and R3R the item out. Second, 2wc committing continuous overts to EP.

We might have to do a "who or what would represent Restimulation from Scientology" to get the item to erase.

Okay, I have plenty of hours on account.

Let's do the standard tech handling you have C/Sed me for:

1. R3R the item out. After dozens of hours of R3R no basic was found and nothing blew. The auditor then asked me "DID IT ERASE ALREADY?" I said: "How is restim from Scn going to erase moron when you are still giving me Scn commands?"

2. 2wc committing continuous overts to EP. Dozens more hours were spent 2-Way-COMing about how it is an overt to be part of Scientology or to allow someone to handle my mind with Scientology. That didn't go so well either.

3. L & N: "Who or what would represent Restimulation from Scientology?" We listed that too.

L & N

WHO OR WHAT WOULD REPRESENT
RESTIMULATION FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

You, my auditor LF

These commands you keep giving me LF

Your senior Ron Hubbard LF

The tech that doesn't work LF

The half million dollars I lost on this con game LF

The fact that you have threatened and terrorized me telling me I would die
and suffer endless eternal anguish if I didn't buy more hours and keep up
this torture until I felt good about the fact that Scientology is making me insane.

LFBD F/N ---Item Indicated.​

Oh well, I guess it's back to the C/S to come up with the next standard action that will totally handle all this restim from the previous actions?

well_that_sucked

Patron with Honors

We might have to do a "who or what would represent Restimulation from Scientology" to get the item to erase.

that's funny as hell

If retards had an official language it would be scilon

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hello Bill,
You've had many gracious welcomes here and now mine is among them.

Your original post is really counter to the lynchpin of what is holding, I'd say, most of the active or semi-active scientologists in the church and making them pay the big bucks. With any luck it will cause many more blows!

It would be of much value to link the continuity of the diminutive one's behavior stemming from 30 years ago to present. More about your imprisonment at Int, violations of human rights and if there were, specifically, any physical attacks to yourself or others may help to do this.

There are lots of subjects to address and hopefully you will start other threads as well.

This thread has well over 7000 hits so far. That should tell you something! There are many lurkers out there as well as members. This board is an amazing wealth of information, history, insights and stories of the church and its operations. Your posts will add to that wealth. I hope you will benefit from its healing as well as from contributing to it.

And even if it was the O/Ws and ARCX,

so what?

It was never anything more than a con game to begin with. I can't think of a simple aspect of Scientology that was not implemented strictly to make the cult look like something it's not, not a single one.

It's all about building an illusion and brainwashing it's members into devoting their lives to continuing the illusion.

The majority of people left in the cult do not want to understand what Scientology really is, or know what it is but are so messed up they would rather live in Hubbard's delusional role playing game than deal with reality. Those are the OT nerds who are still pretending they are something more than suckers.

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
I think this post is not by Bill Franks and that the last think Bill Franks would want is to be involved in anything scientology. The OP posted this on 3 separate threads with 3 variations in the title. Looks like spam to me.

Pls read the below:

Bill Franks to Dresher (from Lisa case)
Subject: Bill Franks to Dresher (from Lisa case)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:14:09 -0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Dresher & Dreshery P.C.

23679 Calabasas Road
PMB 338
Calabasas, California 91302 - IS02

I

Dear Mr. Dresher, 23 May 02

Thank you for your letter, I appreciate the opportunity to correct some of the assumptions that you have made.

Firstly, you have thrown me into the category of anti-scientologist. I am not and have never been. I believe that Gerry Armstrong and others have made 2 life's career out of being an ex-scientologist. That does not apply to me and ample time has passed to prove my point. Since being asked to leave the church in late December of 1519 1 have made it a point., with an exception in the Christofferson case in Oregon in 85, to get on with things.

Since receiving the subpoena, I have done a little research as to who my predecessors were and find the names of Hana Eltringham Whitfield and Jesse Prince. Both these two have made a living at being ex scientologists. I have tried to stay away from anything that smells of such a "jihad".

Secondly, you are right in that I was served a subpoena, but you are wrong in saying that there was any "subterfuge" in this event. I was entrapped you might say and did not play any game so indicated. Factually, over the years, I have found myself coming to the Tampa/Clearwater area on business many many times- Your employers no doubt can vouch for this as about four years ago they chased me out of a public park opposite the Sand castle in Clearwater while sitting on the park bench making business calls.. Furthermore, when I received this subpoena, I was not a little pissed off and immediately drove to Dandees office to demand an explanation. As far as Greenway goes, I was discussing some real estate, or that is why I went to the restaurant I met her through Peter Alexander who I know you guys have a thing for, but believe me; It had no connection to whatever he is into.

Mr. Drescher, when Scientology and I parted ways twenty some odd years ago, a decision was made by me to go in a decidedly opposite direction. Consequently, I have limited my associations to people of non-scientology backgrounds. I do not have an ax to grind and do not want to be around those who do.

Finally, the subpoena was a surprise and indeed, I felt that I had been entrapped.

Suggestions that I am a party to this hearing that you mention or the Liebreich case- are far from the truth.

Ten years or so ago, I was subpoenaed in another one of these wacky suits.

I believe it was against the church and also Miscavage personally. Bent Corydon had me subpoenaed and I was advised that there was no legal remedy other than showing up. So I did indeed show at the depositions, however, my behavior and actions at the sessions, adequately displayed what I thought of the suits and the chicanery that got me into that situation of forcibly having to testify. So, Mr. Drescher, in twenty-one years I have avoided this kind of activity, with the above noted exception, why would I want to get into this now. You guys have proved the point that it is a loser to go against you in court or otherwise. Plus, I have no personal interest in it-absolutely none.

Thus I was not pulling your chain in my April note. Evidently, Dandar was telegraphing what he had in mind and had yet actually done- Furthermore., I have been so out of the church activities I do not know why I have been ordered to participate in this and I can't imagine what I could bring to the party.

When I received this subpoena I eventually got some legal advice other than ken Dandaft. I have been advised that I am now under court order. Since I have been doing business in Florida and have for some time I come down there with some frequency.

Do you have any suggestions? My indifference to this kind of movement against the church has been expressed dramatically over the years with my silence. I do not want to be involved.

This threat of yours just gives me another problem on top of the other one that Dandar has presented me with. I know you won't do it, but why don't you just throw some money at this thing and make it go away so that we can get back to better things. I am sorry for this young woman's fate, but there is no way that the church killed her or participated in her death. I don't know much about this case but I wonder why someone would try to pull me into such a case when I know that standard church procedure, as I knew it, would not have allowed this to happen. And that is all that I would have to say pertinent to this matter.

Bill Franks

P.S. I hope that the address label on your envelope to me is not indicative that I have made it to your mailing list.

www.lisamcpherson.org
http://www.holysmoke.org/lm/lm249.htm

ps: One can confirm with Bill Franks by contacting him through Facebook. He and his wife have Rinder as a friend. I may be wrong about him not wanting contact with anything scientology, now that I have seen facebook, but I still doubt he wrote this post and the 2 other identical ones with varying titles. He would just post it at Marty's blog if it really happened.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Bill-Franks/100001929720618

The situation predicament is Scientology would absolutely WISH for all former senior people, particularly people with uncomplimentary firsthand accounts of LRH, Scientology wants senior ex members to NOT go public about the history they experienced around Hubbard or around any of the leaders of Scientology.

Bill Franks, like any citizen, is free, at least here in America, unless he signed a legal gag and was paid and doesn't wish to face the legal problems that breaking that agreement might bring, Bill is FREE to tell his history.

Bill Franks was the first Executive Director International. Approved by LRH.

Bill Franks has a long Sea Org officer history. He had his ups and downs, mainly ups, the downs related to his subordinates living under some intense pressure due to Bills style of executiving at times.

Bill has a mathematician methodical type of thinking, one time during one of his lecture/threat moments with me, he told me of his mathematics professor in university. Bill was/is extremely methodical. He really knew how to live as an "executive on LRH's lines." Bill was, I believe a junior officer (Lieutenant) in the US Army or Marines. He could be really tough sometimes, I had two incidents,which I posted about, but overall he was very meticulous in following administrative policy, and very adept at playing Sea Org management politics, getting things done for his area he was over. Bill was CO ITO when I was the OEC Course Sup.

Bill knew how to get things done, despite all the internal Sea Org politics.

I looked upon Bill is sort of the middle brother, to the three tough guy Sea Org officer trio, Alex Sibersky being the oldest brother, Bill the next brother, and Kerry Gleason being the youngest brother.

There's a whole context and bonding of those 3 in Sea Org history.

Bill was meticulous, he knew how to use LRH administrative orders to get things done for the position he held as a Sea Org officer, he knew how to use LRH's orders.

He was part of the famous or infamous Boston Command Team, that LRH praises in one of the LRH ED's about 5.4Xing org production. That was Alex, him, Kerry, and David Light. My first wife now ex wife, Ann Halblom Beatty (Ann was the FBO Flag for years, later Commodore's Staff Aide Div 3, and she was Sea Org Reserves under Bill's first Exec Strata setup, a temporary Exec Strata setup that existed at the FLB in 1979, Ann bombed and was RPFed, Ann had been under Bill at Boston Org, Nancy Many was there at Boston Org also, and Ann I don't think Bill wanted Ann as Treasury Exec Int, but Ann held some Treasury or Reserves position while the CS-Aides were transitioning into oblivion and the new Exec Strata was forming, there in 1979-1981ish).

Bill Franks was successul at LAD as CO.

Bill had been a successful CO DC org for years, when DC org was one of the top 3 or 4 producing Class 4/5 Orgs on the planet in the 1970s. Jeannie Danilovich (Hare, Franks, Bogvad) Sonnenfeld was very pivotal to DC's success (as she was later to ITO's growth and success).

When he was CO Int Training Org, after a stint in the RPF, the CO ITO went from 8-10 staff up to 60-70 staff. He and his wife Jeannie (now Sonnenfeld, she's the ED Cinncy today) really knew how to build the ITO, Jeannie and Craig Ferrera did recruiting, the ITO traffic from LRH, Bill ran with that traffic, Bill picking up from where Greg Wilhere the 1st CO ITO left off, with Paul Koval as temp CO ITO inbetween, Paul not doing really anything but treading water until Bill came and with Jeannie then boomed ITO.

Bill was a dynamic Sea Org officer who embodied the OEC FEBC materials, in all those materials BAD and PLUSES. He and Jeannie DID build ITO, some say Jeannie did most, but I'd say Bill knows and knew Sea Org internal push and shove politics, and used the LRH traffic to ITO to get the all important approvals and not being blocked from "just doing it."

Bill got things done, to say the least.

Lots of people praise him for doing things, I know lots, including myself, had some rough moments under Bill.

To me, he was MORE real deal Sea Org officer than say Kerry Gleason, who was also a pretty sharp exec, but Bill yelled and screamed a lot less than Kerry screamed and ranted. Bill was more quiet and brooding, and frankly more scary, he had a threatening presence to back up his ethics presence, frankly, and I tried hard to do my job perfectly and by the book, so as NOT to give Bill reason to get mad at me. I don't agree with LRH's "Ethics Presence" policy letter, but Bill was good at applying the "Ethics Presence" policy. He did have it. I thought Bill ought to have had more ARC and light touch, but I got along mostly almost fine with Bill, and he backed me up tremendously in the OEC department, in fact if not for him, I'd not have had students to supervise, since Bill knew the politics in the management ranks HOW to get cooperation agreement in the Flag Bureaux, and Kerry Gleason was then CO FB, to get the OEC trainees sent to Flag. There was an LRH program called the "Oscar" program, and Bill pushed that program, thus ITO had people to train.

When Bill was promoted from CO ITO to the ED International position, we in ITO at various times, read over the ITO LRH traffic.

The LRH traffic to Bill, I thought was highly complementary, and some parts of that LRH traffic still sticks in my head today. LRH praised Bill for Bill's old tough Sea Org officer style. That was significant to me.

I so wish we had ALL of LRH's traffic in the public domain, to today reflect on how LRH was playing the whole big "piano" of the Sea Org management people.

Despite all of LRH's grievous faults, LRH did expend a massive amount of attention in his final years to SO MANY Sea Org officers who were doing myriad jobs in all echelons of the movement.

LRH was like a Mussolini on steriods in terms of micromanaging, one might critically say.

And were us observers of the Scientology movement, those interested in the details, to have a convention of ALL of the whole entourage of Sea Org members that LRH was in daily weekly communication with, by the old telex traffic / advices, we'd see just how extensive and intense LRH's full breadth of attention played out.

LRH had a LOT of things going, LOT of orders, lot of directions he was urging action.

IN all of this maelstrom of "change" of the late 1970s, LRH DID approve of Bill Franks, and did promote Bill to the first Executive Director International position.

My opinion is Bill needed more allies, because when he rose to the lofty ED Int position, then it was not Bill pushing and getting his superiors to align with Bill's position as a lower down Sea Org officer trying to follow LRH's individual orders to his smaller zone, but NOW, as ED Int, Bill had a huge vacuum of people to help him do the ED Int position. To me he floundered at that point due to a few more things I'll go into later.

I really want to have some discussions with Bill, longer range, on the Executive STrata.

LRH in 1982, comes out strongly with much more about the Executive Strata, and Bill was driven out of the Sea Org, mainly I'll bet by Miscavige, so Bill did NOT have the luxury of seeing the LRH traffic to Bill's predecessor, Guilliaume Leserve.

I have a decent memory of the LRH traffic on Exec Strata, most of it came out WHEN Bill was still ED Int and over Exec Strata, but there was ONE very crucial piece of Exec Strata LRH traffic that came out to Guilliaume, and I so wish we had it here in the public domain to chew over.

I myself, still have the unreal hope that Scientology administratively will heal itself, fix itself.

My experience, and I fear Bill will confirm it, is that almost one for one, the senior execs who defect or get pressured OUT of the Sea Org, think the administrative setup is unredeemable.

I have always hoped the Exec Strata staff WOULD attain the "think tank" role that LRH wrote for them in LRH ED 339R Int.

To build a real think tank, of top execs over their zones of Scientology, to me it is something that the "old" tough guy Sea Org executive style is inevitably going to clash with.

In my opinion it takes a good decade to make some Exec Strata think tank experts that can actually strategically think with our current culture, and make the changes and reforms to knock out the "cult" out of the Scientology movement. (I'd send the Exec Strata members out to college, as part of their training lineup, frankly.)

Building top Scientology administrative leadership, it's a personnel problem of perpetual underestimated magnitude, and with current Scientology leadership (the one man extremely ignorant brutish dictator David Miscavige) who is NOT building up Watchdog Committee nor the Exec Strata, I personally think the cult atmosphere Scientology displays is gonna go on for a decade until new leadership and when parishioner ranked Scientologists finally get fed up and revolt, sort of like the 1981 or 1982 Mission Holders revolt, which I believe Bill was on the Mission Holders' side of that turmoil.

The authoritarian "tough guy" Sea Org style transferred, I believe, by osmosis, my opinion, from the Bill Franks, Alex Sibersky, Kerry Gleason, leadership years, and it transferred to David Miscavige, Steve Marlowe,

During the late 1970s, like 1977-1979, there was still quite a bit of LRH weekly traffic, to the CO's of the various Flag (remember this was the period when at the Flag Land Base, all of management was there, the Commodore's Staff Aides were still in existence and failing, the Flag Bureaux was the day to day, week to week management of the conts and orgs

There is SO MUCH history Bill Franks has been a part of.

If I had 50 Gs, I'd like to take 3 years off, and write Sea Org history.

Bill was a really a HUGE player in Sea Org history.

I hope to meet and interview Bill for Sea Org and LRH history.

Bill Franks lived during the transformation from the old Commodore's Staff Aides and Flag Bu management setup, to the Watchdog Committee and Int Exec Strata setup that exists today.

And Bill was a productive org executive, knew how to get his LRH orders complied with, and he had a good relationship with LRH, and LRH respected Bill as a Sea Org officer.

What I think would be incredibly amazing, is for Bill Franks, Alex Sibersky, and Kerry Gleason to interview each other about their Sea Org careers, and history!

The 3 were and might still be friends, I believe, and co lived a lot.

Bill Franks posting, is very very historical.

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
Synthia, very nice summary of the theme of this thread. It cuts right to the heart of the topic of why people leave an organization!

Nevertheless, in the case of C of S, there are so many interesting and incredible side issues present and it is full of anecdotes involving LRH, Franks, Mayo, DM and others.

To me understanding these anecdotes is interesting and entertaining but most of all it is informative and yields understanding. For those of us who were taken in by C of S and invested huge amounts of our time, energy and money to their cause, it is very helpful to really understand what scheme was used upon us to illicit so much of our support.

C of S seems to be imploding now and as the dust settles, the more we can understand the phenomena of what took place, the better off everyone will be, both the perpetrators, the victims and just observers who mainly want to understand what this furor is all about.
Lakey aka Gary

Hey, I'm with ya! If you read through this entire thread, you will see just how much I was pushing for Bill to come on to the board. I'm all about what you're saying. It's just sometimes, when people start talkin' this list and that list, and this tech reason or that tech reason, it all starts to sound surreal and over significant.

It's like someone giving me painstakingly detailed directions somewhere when I could use Mapquest or my GPS. That's probably not the best analogy but I'll let it suffice.

Note: I'm not bashing Chuck's post here, it's an overall view. I liked his post.