What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I remember Pandora very well.
There were some memorable characters there.
I think Gordon was everybody's favorite.
I still hold Dave Richards in high esteem.

Reading this thread made me think back and so many thoughts came to mind, so I signed on and commented.
I remember the two guys at the counter at Schwartz's with their "96" and butcher knives.
I forgot to mention Bill Reeves was in Qual (before Sue Wassermann.)
I remember the night we moved the CF files from the basement of 1810 to 1812, and moved the HCO files to 1810.
And of course there was Louie Beloucci.

I thought of some other names not yet mentioned like Bev Cola, Lorraine Shefferman, Conley and Betty Kelley, John Thomas, Alan Thomas, Boyd Hall. Sheryl Lowe (Liccardi), Bill and Jeanette Miller, Bill and Sylvia Hynes, Roger Harrison, Phyllis Breggin, James Schisler, Kathy Wilhere, Nancy Pierson, David Noe, Adrianna Castle (although I don't think she was on staff), Tim Weir and the blonde girl he married, I think her name was Jeanette. The names just keep coming. Barb Reeves, Duke and Ann Snyder. There was a guy named Tom who was the staff course supervisor. I forget his last name. There was Larry Hoffmann. There was a tall guy that always hung out with Paul Kelley. Ron Diehm, Joan Tourtellotte and Cindy Krucynski (although they weren't on staff).

Sorry if I bore you folks with my reminiscing.
I heard Larry Spinks was in China. Do you know anything about that?

The Anabaptist Jacques

Welcome aboard. Among other things, ESMB is a collective memory outside the razor wire.

Nobody's bored with your reminiscence.
It fills in holes.

Zinj

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember the night we moved the CF files from the basement of 1810 to 1812, and moved the HCO files to 1810.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Well now, between your post to this thread and others I think this just about names 'em all.

Funny that you mentioned Spinks in your closing sentence. I got an email from him this morning. We reconnected a few months ago and I've only heard from him twice since then. I don't know where he is.

It sounds like we probably bumped elbows going up and down the stairs while moving CF. :omg:

Escalus

Patron Meritorious
I remember the two guys at the counter at Schwartz's with their "96" and butcher knives.

From what you're saying I must have come a bit later, but the guy with the clubfoot on the end made the best scrambled egg sandwich with lettuce and mayo in the history of the world. Just don't talk to the little old black waitress, she was MEAN. :coolwink:

Div6

Crusader
Well now, between your post to this thread and others I think this just about names 'em all.

Funny that you mentioned Spinks in your closing sentence. I got an email from him this morning. We reconnected a few months ago and I've only heard from him twice since then. I don't know where he is.

It sounds like we probably bumped elbows going up and down the stairs while moving CF. :omg:

Larry is alternating between the US and Thailand.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
Bill Franks was a punk, just an early version of David Miscavige.

Whatever happened to Gyme DeAngelo, the cramming officer?

Does anybody remember the Empire Room? That was the restaurant that later was replaced by Food for Thought.

Anybody remember Don Cooper's Esto training course. It was in the back room of the top floor in 1812? I think at least one of the posters here was on it (John Henry).
I have heard that Don Cooper recently died.

Also, does anybody know whatever happened to Ned Burgos?
Paul Kelley?
How about John Keilholtz?
C.C. Sherille?
I remember Qual as Gordon Bell, Sue Wasserman, E. James McDonough, and Gyme Deangelo. There were three interns, Greg Shulman, Jim Leon, and Judy Cranford. This was pre-September 1972.

And how about Mr.Shoup!!!

It would be interesting to put the staff list from 1972-1974 together and find out what happened to everyone.

It was a unique place with a wild bunch of characters. It was crazy, stressful, and fun, all at the same time.

After Franks came, it wasn't fun anymore.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Great list of names. Shulman became an auditor; Cranford worked for the GO for a time and has for decades had a real estate brokerage in DC; Jim Leon was a course sup for a while (if I remember correctly)

Folks have commented that Gordon B. is in Arizona. Anyone know what happened to his wife, Marylou - she was was a wonderful soul.

Mr. Shoup - landlord to the poor. I'm imagine his old rundown flats have been spiffed up in recent years.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
I remember Pandora very well.
There were some memorable characters there.
I think Gordon was everybody's favorite.
I still hold Dave Richards in high esteem.

Reading this thread made me think back and so many thoughts came to mind, so I signed on and commented.
I forgot to mention Bill Reeves was in Qual (before Sue Wassermann.)
And of course there was Louie Beloucci.

I thought of some other names not yet mentioned like Bev Cola, Lorraine Shefferman, Conley and Betty Kelley, John Thomas, Alan Thomas, Boyd Hall. Sheryl Lowe (Liccardi), Bill and Jeanette Miller, Bill and Sylvia Hynes, Roger Harrison, Phyllis Breggin, James Schisler, Kathy Wilhere, Nancy Pierson, David Noe, Adrianna Castle (although I don't think she was on staff), Tim Weir and the blonde girl he married, I think her name was Jeanette. The names just keep coming. Barb Reeves, Duke and Ann Snyder. There was a guy named Tom who was the staff course supervisor. I forget his last name. There was Larry Hoffmann. There was a tall guy that always hung out with Paul Kelley. Ron Diehm, Joan Tourtellotte and Cindy Krucynski (although they weren't on staff).

The Anabaptist Jacques

Adrianna Castle married Ben Lewis and ran the Chilrdens org. Ben was the ARC break reg before he moved over and worked at the Childrens Org also.

Guy Castle (adianna's brother) used to work in CF. He was a sad case eventually living on the streets.

Phyllis Breggin - related to Peter Breggin, the anti-psych psych? He was married to someone on staff at one point, but I thought his wife was on staff in LA. Could have that wrong.

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
There are more names to be listed and none to be nulled.

Ok. Rick Miller-Bill and Sylvia Hines, Rex Rhoades, Peggy Barthlelow, Dan Demming, Bob and Penny Wisner, Kevin Shields and his sister, Peter and Andrea Letteresse, Ford Schwartz, Mary Letteresse, Sam Licciarrdi, Jill Press-that's it for now.

GoButtonIsBlowButton

Patron with Honors
More on the Dietz/Nazi connection

My Jeff Deitz story... (ahem)

....[at the infamous PATTON mandatory showing] "As you may know Patton's nemesis in the movie, on the German side, was Erwin Rommel. For the vast majority of the crowd (all staff was there - Jesus there was a lot of us) there was this adoration flow going out to the screen everytime Patton was doing his "I've lived before" routine (mostly because everybody was so surprised to see past-lives in a wog movie cuz, you know, there was no such thing as past lives outside of Scientology :eyeroll: ) but whenever Rommel came on the screen Deitz, a committed Aryan at the time... I guess?... would be the lone guy applauding.

Yeah ok... I guess you had to be there. Was anybody else there?

At FCDC at the time, there were many of the smartest, funniest, and craziest people I ever met. Dietz was close to the top of the list in all three categories. Greg Gloor (brilliant, vicious, hilarious), the furniture maker, for example, liked to short-circuit the obsessive, assertive Nazi-ness of Franks and (Jewish) Stan Dubin by reminding people that in the 40's, he was an insurance salesman. Dietz liked to remind everyone who would listen that he was Hans Guderian, the brilliant German tank commander. It wasn't until sometime later that someone reminded him that Hans had died several years after Jeff was born. Jeff wasn't quite the same for several weeks. Probably all his Dianetics chains chafing a bit.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think fondly of the place. Stockholm syndrome? Who cares. A fantastic experience -- embarrassing to recount to anyone who hasn't been there.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I'm enjoying the stories, and couldn't care less whether you feel embarassed.

Exept to admire your willingness to tell stories despite it

Zinj

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Stanley Dubin was declared SP (briefly) while Executive Director of FCDC, for combining the orgs. Yes, for increased efficiency he combined Day and Foundation orgs. His reasoning made sense (staff get study time and so on) but it runs afoul of a policy that makes it a suppressive act to close an org or mission and management apparently viewed it as the loss of an org.

Notably his wife Maryanne did NOT disconnect during his SP period. Previously I had helped keep those kids together with a Chaplain's Cycle AND made some G.I. for the org.

GoButtonIsBlowButton

Patron with Honors
Another Group Meeting

First, Chip, I love your avatar. In that regard, I'd pay good money to see Dubin and Tim Mantis together again. Those two were like ... can't think of a comedy team as funny. I giggle while recalling their numerous, and usually vaguely out-ethics, playful antics. (And Mantis must have had a big one, because he married two major babes.)

But I digress...... Anyone remember Jon Mervine's "dance"? Jon was FCDC's answer to Nixon/Ford --> Carter path that the wog world was taking at the same time. Nixon was Franks, and Jon was, alas, Carter. Nice guy, very smart, great sense of humor, but WAY over his head. He decided to put together a dance as a "destim" action after the Rape of Wilhelm Francks. It was actually pretty nice. Jon could play wicked guitar and had a great voice, and put together a credible band. But as the evening wore on (alcohol flowed), other entertainment occurred -- there was a "play" [this was all before the suppressive joker-degrader shit started] where some of the group track was acted out. One of the actors, an actor/writer in the real world, wrote the script and did a KILLER imitation of "Michael" Bobby Wisner, PhD, M.D. A.Hole. He got Wisner's smarmy, used-car, 1.1 grin in his voice. There was major key-in amongst the more victimy of the audience, but it was nonetheless hilarious. Many hangovers the next morning, and a line into Qual of "restimmed" staff.

There were so many talented people there. Wasted years? My take looking back is it was far more helpful to me in the real world than college, at a minimum. Also strengthened the backbone.

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
Jeff Deitz and Dave Richards

I am in touch with both Jeffery Deitz and Dave Richards. One of them could care less about the cos and the other is still IN. Both are doing well in life, they both have wonderful and healthy families and both are enjoying financial success.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Go Button?

OK Go button, I can't take it anymore. Do I know you? I feel like I'm playing What's My Line. Remember that TV program? Only if you remember black and white TV.

You don't have to tell me or you could tell me or not via PM. We respect anonymity around here. :whistling:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I got it but prefer to believe that all black-and-white TV memories are false.

Speaking of Merv, once upon a time while he was ED, the HAS became pregnant. She was having a pretty rough time and somehow convinced herself that Jon intended to kill her, and not in a friendly face ripping off sort of way but really kill her. She locked her office door and wouldn't come out, all the while chain smoking these little stogies. Eventually we convinced her to open the door but the paranoia persisted. I think Jon talked her down, but now this colorful memory has stayed with me in a tapestry of recollections that include the Dir Comm in a waking coma, the Qual Sec sleeping in the attic at 2125 "S" Street while doing O/Ws, and a newly hired expeditor prancing around in a black cape, threatening to assassinate Reverend Moon.

Wish that Bob Altman was still here to direct the movie.

And my laughing avatar is me posing in front of a monitor with MySpace on it. Wadda world.

GoButtonIsBlowButton

Patron with Honors
Liability Formula Blues

So how many of the members are either OSA weasels, or are doing a Liability Formula and trolling for SP'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz? Or both!?

Status
Not open for further replies.