What's new

Going Clear Nominated for Writers Guild Award

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks to Churchill for this great news! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alex Gibney's Going Clear has just been nominated for the WGA (Writers Guild Award)

2016 Writers Guild Awards Nominees

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Being Canadian, Written by Robert Cohen; Candy Factory Films
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, Written by Brett Morgen; HBO Documentary Films
Prophet’s Prey, Written by Amy J. Berg; Showtime Documentary Films

http://awards.wga.org/wga-awards/nominees-winners

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks to Churchill for this great news! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alex Gibney's Going Clear has just been nominated for the WGA (Writers Guild Award)

2016 Writers Guild Awards Nominees

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Being Canadian, Written by Robert Cohen; Candy Factory Films
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, Written by Brett Morgen; HBO Documentary Films
Prophet’s Prey, Written by Amy J. Berg; Showtime Documentary Films

http://awards.wga.org/wga-awards/nominees-winners

Hey, don't thank me.

Actually, it was For Lease who predicted it on the other thread, and Jump who first posted it.

You can, however thank me for my skillful use of emoticons when re-posting it! :biggrin:

(The words critically acclaimed should always precede any mention of Going Clear.
Winner of 3 Emmys including Best Documentary
Winner of the 2016 DuPont Columbia Journalism Award
Nominated for 2016 Writers Guild of America Award for Best Documentary
On the short list for Academy Award consideration) Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Thank you, Jump and ForLease. Spot on Prediction!

(and thanks for your great use of Emoticons, Churchill :coolwink:)

Jump and ForLease are in tune and keeping up with current events.

Did I mention my never-in sister-in-law watched 'Going Clear' on her own and then insisted the entire 'Never In' family watch it together?

Oh yeh, I did. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Going Clear changes lives. I hope the momentum builds up to a feverish pitch that never ends until COS is GONE.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
It's just barely possible I may have read the entertainment news before making my prediction. :omg:

PS. No matter what happens with Oscar nominations, Going Clear will likely have had an audience greater than the other short-list docs COMBINED.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
And wins. :happydance:

Alex Gibney accepting: "L. Ron Hubbard set the Guinness World Record for most published books. He made the desire for making money and avoiding taxes into a religion."

"This is for those people willing to speak up against human rights abuses."

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Alex Gibney Talks Cyber-Espionage of 'Zero Days' and "Thuggish Intimidation" After Scientology Doc (Q&A)

The Hollywood Reporter: Alex Gibney Talks Cyber-Espionage of 'Zero Days' and "Thuggish Intimidation" After Scientology Doc (Q&A)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alex-gibney-talks-cyber-espionage-864979?utm_source=twitter

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Were you surprised that Going Clear wasn’t nominated for an Oscar after the Church of Scientology actively campaigned against it?

I don't want to comment on the record about that. There definitely was a campaign against [the film], but I have no evidence that was responsible for influencing Academy voters. They didn’t vote for it and that’s that ... I’ve been inundated with litigious letters [from the Church of Scientology] threatening lawsuits as has every venue where we exhibited this film, in this country and abroad. They haven’t sued, but they threatened a lot.

There’s been a high cost to releasing the film. I get accosted from time to time — you can see a few exchanges on YouTube — but the people who really took it on the chin are the people who spoke to me for the movie. They’ve been shadowed by private investigators and in ways that are intended to intimidate — woman have been threatened, people have had their lives destroyed economically, their houses taken away. It’s been thuggish intimidation. The church has lived up to its reputation.

Has there been any professional repercussions for you, working in Hollywood?

Not really. I can’t say there’s been any impact there. But in terms of the Hollywood element, I found it somewhat disturbing that Tom Cruise continues to manage to elude any responsibility for the ongoing human-rights abuses that are basically conducted in his name. He is the most visible and most vocal proponent of the religion. This isn’t about the creed of the church, it’s about the deed. By not investigating human-rights abuses in the church, he’s tacitly giving his approval to them.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
https://twitter.com/MiaFarrow/status/698899370658439169

attachment.php

Attachments

• MiaFarrowGoingClear.PNG
    MiaFarrowGoingClear.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 62

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Documentary

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/wga-awards-winners-writers-guild-america-1201705269/
In Los Angeles, host Patton Oswalt kicked off the ceremonies by saying he would not make jokes about the death of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, then said, “Scalia was born in 1936 and has been there ever since.”
rexfeatures_5586621cr.jpg
Elaine May accepts her lifetime achievement honor at Saturday’s Writers Guild Awards (Photo by Rob Latour/Variety/REX/Shutterstock)
Alex Gibney’s “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief” won the documentary award. In New York, he dedicated the award to “the people willing to speak up against human rights abuses” including WGA member (and former Scientologist) Paul Haggis.

The film won over “Being Canadian,” “Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck” and Amy Berg’s “Prophet’s Prey.”