What's new

Let's be honest--non CofS Scn'ists different from Cof$ers?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
When I first got on a critical forum, Free Zoners (no one was using the term "Indie" then, though sometimes they did discuss Independent Scn'ists) were regarded, I think, differently than they are now. Most critics were glad to see anyone publicly criticizing CofS. They knew- just as we all know nowadays- that the cult monitored the boards and that criticizing the cult and advocating its destruction and speaking out against OSA were obviously not things done by anyone who would give a free pass to Scn abuse.

At some point, this changed a bit. It did so even before Marty came out and set himself up as a guru of non CofS Scn. More people looked askance at the practice Scn outside CofS and were discussing it. My guess is that this was probably a result of the FZ being publicized more. Not just by Terril, but by Tommy Thompson, Rey Robles and others. Let me make this clear- I think the increased scrutiny and the many many disagreements - and even anger- people started to post were and are quite healthy.

However, healthy as this is, I want to take on some things that have been said a number of times here and elsewhere that, frankly, are in no way true. The main one of those being that they are no different than CofS'ers. Of course they're different! That's quite obvious given the many non CofSers who've been so frank and open here and at pickets.

But first I'll talk about the ways in which they are similar to CofSers. Because it's not my belief that there are no similarities.

Other than all, presumably, being bipedal carbon based lifeforms, :coolwink: both CofS'ers and the heretics (lemme call them that from now on as it's pretty true and way easier to type) believe that Hubbard wrote some great stuff. Auditing and TRs and word clearing and false data stripping and qual and C/S tech all work. Many heretics like most CofSers view it as their religion. A major similarity is that both camps think that advanced spiritual states can be reached by receiving auditing of various types.

That's pretty much it for areas where just about every CofS member is going to be on the same page as just about every heretic.

After that, when looking for commonality, you get a lot more things where CofSers just about always think that but only some heretics do. Like brooking criticism of Scn and Hubbard. Very few CofSers would countenance that, right? And some heretics are greatly turned off and even angered by it. But only some. It no longer is 99%/99% or whatever. Maybe it's more like 99%/48% or hell, I don't know. I made those ratios up anyway. Point is that by this time the two camps/categories are diverging.

So where are they different?

Quite a few heretics picket. You aren't going to see a CofS member doing that. At least not one who isn't truly out in his or her heart, even if the cult didn't make it official with a nice piece of goldenrod on legal size paper.

I've yet to meet any heretic who thought there should be an RPF or any RPFing.

Very few CofSers (I have met some who did it in secret but still, pretty rare. Certainly not a party line kind of thing.) would even consider criticizing Hubbard or Scn itself. Yet I see a lot of heretics doing it.

I don't see any freeloader debts in the heretic's scene.

No enforced or even suggested abortions amongst heretics.

No one goes after minor children or young adults to make them join Heretic Staff.

No isolation watches in Heretic-land. Most heretics I talk to find this to be an appalling practice. They are keenly aware that they aren't doctors and, what's more, do not have the right to restrain anyone or step in as loco parentis for someone incapacitated. I have the distinct impression that this is a lesson that CofS has yet to learn

Heretics don't have a centralized price list (or any centralization) and don't charge high prices or have insane regging events wherein people are pushed to liquidate assets that they probably will never get back.

No Idle Org or Super Power buildings and the endless financial finagling for such by Heretics.

Heretics don't tell people to check this or that with their MAA or EO and whom to block on Facebook with those directives in mind.

The above are primary points of criticism against Scn/CofS. They are the things that make the news. They are the things that inspire pickets. So these are huge differences. So when someone tells me that heretics are the same as CofSers- which I've been hearing for years and years-I really wonder what color the sky is in their world.

Now, if one were to comment on the similarities I stated above- and that has been said- then that would make sense. But overall, as far as what people do that makes them considered immoral, unethical, wrong headed or just plain bad- those differences are huge and they do exist.

There are individual variances amongst CofSers, too, but if a person's really in CofS and isn't secretly out or secretly dissenting, then those differences can be pretty minute. Unlike the above stated ones.

I will end this op with a reiteration of my belief that wishing to examine and disagree with heretical Scn is healthy and we're a whole lot better off doing it than not, for those who are interested in doing so.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good post Claire.

There definitely are differences. One factor is the existence of the Co$, RTC and CST. These entities inhibit the heretic movement to a very great degree.

The question remains for many what the heretics would evolve into given free reign and thus a discussion of their beliefs is certainly germane.

A large majority of the heretics are Hubbardites. So one has to ask things like, "would they keep the SO?". The RPF is Hubbard policy. Just because there is no organization of any size in the heretic zone doesn't mean one will not develop. What policies will be used?

Then on the "tech" side there is the matter of this "Bridge". Clearly it doesn't get anyone where it should. So what is to be done about that? Well that's a matter for them to figure out, I wish them good luck!

When you strip away all the odious bit of the Co$ you are left with criticizing a person's faith. People of course do that all the time. Certainly a Scientologist is free to believe and practice their religion. I don't agree that Scientology is not a religion. No matter the cries of religious cloaking. The belief in spiritual salvation is a part of Scientology and thus, for me, I see no reason to deny any Scientologist the right to their beliefs, no matter that they call them facts. Christians have their "facts" too.

I criticize Hubbard, Miscavige, and those that support what I consider to be the odious, untrue or deceptive in the subject. I also criticize those that attempt to spin what Hubbard's Scientology is and is not.

There really are very few here on ESMB that are heretics. MAB, Leon, Terril. MAB is not a Hubbardite, Leon isn't either. I think the only Hubbarite that posts is Terril.

I don't consider myself to be a heretic. I am interested in what has been labeled "clearing technology". I think that's a superset.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

There was some discussion in another thread about the importance of definitions of terms being used in a discussion. With this in mind, what's a "non COS Scientologist"? Do we have a working definition because, according to L Ron Hubbard, the Indie Dependents and Free Zoners etc are not Scientologists. Has someone come up with a mutually acceptable definition of what constitutes a Scientologist operating outside of the cult? Or perhaps there are as many definitions as there are non COS Scientologists, in which case, the term becomes meaningless. Just asking.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
The joke is on the Scientologists, since Scientologists - by design - don't know what Scientology is, and don't know that they don't know.

To remain a Scientologist, it's essential that one continue not to know that one doesn't know what Scientology is.

Deep deep deep deep deep down, all Scientologists know that they don't know what Scientlogy is (but cannot admit it to themselves), and this makes them uneasy, thus the various uncomfortable reactions to the question, "Are you a Scientologist?"

This is why the expression on the face of a Scientologist being asked, "Are you a Scientologist?," by a non-Scientologist, is similar to that of someone who just sat upon a whoopie cushion.

300_140995.jpg

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Infinite,

I don't think there are easy answers to your question. CofSers - and Hubbard- don't think the other folks are Scn'ists. But you know, DM changes stuff all the time. So did "The Founder"

I myself go by a simple benchmark.

Is the person interested enough in Scn to call him or herself a Scientologist but isn't in CofS?

Then he or she is someone I'd call an Indie or a FZers- a non CofS Scn'ist. Or "heretic". :coolwink:

But inevitably someone will come along and tell the dude or dudette "you're doing it rong"

People get very hung up on names and labels at times. I've been trying to get better about that, but it's probably something I'm working through, too.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Cof$ and non-Cof$ Scientologists disagree about a lot of things, but they also agree about a lot of things.

The problem - if you accept that there is one, partly lies in what they agree about.

It's clear enough that non-Cof$ Scientologists do not carry out the major abuses that the Cof$ does, yet there are many points of agreement.

What that means, is open to debate.*

*Said she, very diplomatically.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
The joke is on the Scientologists, since Scientologists - by design - don't know what Scientology is, and don't know that they don't know.

To remain a Scientologist, it's essential that one continue not to know that one doesn't know what Scientology is.

Deep deep deep deep deep down, all Scientologists know that they don't know what Scientlogy is (but cannot admit it to themselves), and this makes them uneasy, thus the various uncomfortable reactions to the question, "Are you a Scientologist?"

This is why the expression on the face of a Scientologist being asked, "Are you a Scientologist?," by a non-Scientologist, is similar to that of someone who just sat upon a whoopie cushion.

300_140995.jpg

Could you give a succinct definition of Scientology and a Scientologist?

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
A war erupted once between Anti-Indie and Pro-Indie groups at OCMB. I joined the Pro-Indie group because we have the same goal, which is dismantling of CoS.
The Indies do not commit atrocities, so there is no need to bash them. In my estimate, their movement will die quietly, and its death will be non-violent.

shadow

Patron with Honors
I see the difference between indies and Cof$ers is that indies have free access to the world and information and decide for themselves whether to practice scn as an indie, or not; and if they still practice scn, it is on their terms not those dictated by CO$.

Warning, this is a wild guess on my part. I think "indie" is part of the gradient out of the mind trap for some people. Some people skip this part, some may pass through this period quickly because they are free to explore other options, and some may stick with it for a long, long time.

put another way: It must be hard to discard something one has invested so much (emotionally, financially, etc) into all at once, and the disappointment with one's self and fellow man may be eased stepwise for some. Others seem to just shed the whole experience all at once and deal with the resulting issues as a whole.

Veda

Sponsor
Could you give a succinct definition of Scientology and a Scientologist?

Mirages do not have "definition."

Scientology is not an honest subject. It only pretends to have a definition.

When someone realizes that, the person ceases being a Scientologist.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
There is NO such thing as a non CofS Scientologist, you are either a Scientologist or you are not! So which one is it?

If someone is not a member of CofS, they are not a member of CofS. If they happen to practice Scn whilst being expelled or having otherwise left CofS, then they are a Scn'ist who happens to practce Scn whilst ot being expelledor having otherwise left CofS.

Since you might enjoy having a new target for your wrath, let me tell you about someone I know who you will disdain. And because of his association with me, he's bullet proof because no one with any brains would have the moxie to diss him in that case.

My husband John. John hates CofS. He referes to them a "those bastards". When discussing critics and criticism, although he cannot stand fora like this or some of the screeching bitter types, he says "Well, you can only push people so far. No wonder they're pissed."

John truly loves the Scn set of ideas, particularly re auditing, TRs- red on white type stuff. He's very interested in it and thinks Hubbard was a genius. He also thinks Hubbard was appallingly self interested and that he fucked himself and others up big time.

John was expelled and declared by CofS, ostensibly for refusing to stop posting humorous JPGs (the ones that two people here reported to Photobucket and got redacted from it- it seems that somme people never really lose the CofS OSA mindset.) but it was probably really because, at a handling about my internet activities, he made it quite clear that he wouldn't disconnect from me if I got expelled. So they threw him into the mix, too, when I got expelled.

John would rather sever his right arm than ever join CofS again. John hates the cult, questions Hubbard in some ways, and is a dyed in the wool Indie Scientologist.

I trust this example serves you well.

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
NO! You are either a Scientologist or you are not. There are NO degrees of being a Scientologist. You either are or you are NOT!

I AM NOT, NEVER HAVE BEEN, NEVER WILL BE!

And, I refuse to have this conversation anymore.

It's a treadmill and you enjoy it. I DON'T! Period!

See the hand, talk to it!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Sorry, cupcake. I was only answering your post - which you posted after reading my thread op and the title of this thread, started by yours truly.

Of course you don't have to continue in the discussion you initiated. It's a free country.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Mirages do not have "definition."

Scientology is not an honest subject. It only pretends to have a definition.

When someone realizes that, the person ceases being a Scientologist.

Ideology can be rather ephemeral and how it seems to you may not be how it seems to the other guy.

SpecialFrog

I've yet to meet any heretic who thought there should be an RPF or any RPFing.

If you read Marty's book he says that the RPF under Hubbard was a good thing, with the implication being that it was a compassionate way to handle SPs.

While I don't think he's planning on implementing an RPF, he clearly feels that it can be the right thing to do under certain circumstances.

Gadfly

Crusader
If you read Marty's book he says that the RPF under Hubbard was a good thing, with the implication being that it was a compassionate way to handle SPs.

While I don't think he's planning on implementing an RPF, he clearly feels that it can be the right thing to do under certain circumstances.

I suppose that fair game, disconnection, and noisy investigations were also "good things" under Hubbard. :duh:

SpecialFrog

I suppose that fair game, disconnection, and noisy investigations were also "good things" under Hubbard. :duh:

He justifies a lot of Hubbard's excesses as "war measures" that may have gone a bit too far but were legitimate in the face of the attacks against Hubbard by SMERSH (though of course Marty doesn't use the term SMERSH).

I think he also states that disconnection as an imposed condition was always bad, though I've never worked out how he squares this with his enthusiastic support for PTS/SP doctrine .