What's new

Results of the Senate Inquiry into Public Benefits Test

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Jump on me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be some misunderstanding about the UK consequences of this as regards COSRECI.

My understanding is that CoS(UK) genuinely thought that COSRECI had been registered as a religious charity in South Australia. Well, ahem, so did all of us! However whilst CoS(Aussie) had postulated this they never actually did it. That error has now been rectified with COSRECI registered as a non-profit and its formal address relocated to the Adelaide Org, according to the small print on the latest CoS(UK) leaflet:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scientology-discussion/cosreci-new-london-flyers-71518/

CoS(UK) was therefore claiming tax relief - but they were not actually getting it, according to the last document I've seen. They were paying the tax but hoping to claim it back. Naturally the UK Taxman will not be amused at this, but no one is going to get arrested for fraud or similar.

Plus, this does NOT mean that COSRECI is a charity, a non-profit, or anything similar in the UK. The arrangement is that the UK and South Australia recognise each other's charities for tax purposes, which is not to the UK's advantage as the South Australian registration is a formality and bears no resemblance to the UK system.

As I understand it the proposed legislation will sweep away charity regulations in States and replace them with a single Federal law and a body to administer it.

I think it has been registered as a non-profit association for a long time.
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?state_number=A5172&juris=5&hdtext=&srchsrc=1

It has never been a registered charity in Australia. It does nothing there. It does not submit any paperwork either. If it were an Australian charity proper then it would have an ABN and it does not have.
http://www.abr.business.gov.au/(lib....aspx?SearchText=Scientology&StartSearch=True

You will see other Scientology entities listed and some do have charitable status if you click on the link.

There never had been a mutual acceptance of each others charities from the UK end after the Henry and Dreyfus Foundation vs. CIR case. The UK is reluctantly doing so now but only for other EU countries.

There may well be arrests for fraud in the UK in claiming mandatory rates relief on their Churches there. It was done through misrepresentation.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
The bits I can tell you are that there will be a report soonish from the Fair Work Ombudsman who has been investigating the cult's workplace shenanigans - that should cripple them further here in Oz when they start having to abide by the laws of the land regarding pay, conditions etc. etc..:happydance:

There are ongoing police investigations into their crimes - OSA knows all about these and are pretty powerless to do anything so they're trying Ostrich Tech on them.:D

And there will be more media - oh so delicious media - coming up very soon on still more footbullets by scilons.:hysterical:

Wow! You aussies have been working hard!! Thanks for the efforts and the tip!

Mary

RogerB

Crusader
I think it has been registered as a non-profit association for a long time.
http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?state_number=A5172&juris=5&hdtext=&srchsrc=1

It has never been a registered charity in Australia. It does nothing there. It does not submit any paperwork either. If it were an Australian charity proper then it would have an ABN and it does not have.
http://www.abr.business.gov.au/(lib....aspx?SearchText=Scientology&StartSearch=True

You will see other Scientology entities listed and some do have charitable status if you click on the link.

There never had been a mutual acceptance of each others charities from the UK end after the Henry and Dreyfus Foundation vs. CIR case. The UK is reluctantly doing so now but only for other EU countries.

There may well be arrests for fraud in the UK in claiming mandatory rates relief on their Churches there. It was done through misrepresentation.

The reason for the anomaly here is that COSRECI was registered a long time ago before the national business registry was set up. It is registered in the old system based on a state basis, in South Australia.

I have posted the two COSRECI charters (the original and the amended versions) here on ESMB when we were first unraveling this monster.

It's in this thread:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=15489

R

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I think I'll use this moment to borrow shamelessly from Winston Churchill's VE Day speech....

"We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing; but let us not forget for a moment the toil and efforts that lie ahead. The Church of Scientology in the USA, with all its treachery and greed, remains unsubdued. The injury it has inflicted on Great Britain, the United States, and other countries, and its detestable cruelties, call for justice and retribution. We must now devote all our strength and resources to the completion of our task, both at home and abroad. Advance, free citizens! Long live the cause of freedom! God save the Queen!"

(Thank you for showing us the way, Australia.)

Feral

Rogue male
I think I'll use this moment to borrow shamelessly from Winston Churchill's VE Day speech....

"We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing; but let us not forget for a moment the toil and efforts that lie ahead. The Church of Scientology in the USA, with all its treachery and greed, remains unsubdued. The injury it has inflicted on Great Britain, the United States, and other countries, and its detestable cruelties, call for justice and retribution. We must now devote all our strength and resources to the completion of our task, both at home and abroad. Advance, free citizens! Long live the cause of freedom! God save the Queen!"

(Thank you for showing us the way, Australia.)

:lol:

That is funny!

Now, the CofS could learn something from that handy piece of positioning!

hartley

Patron with Honors
OK, I'm getting there I think. Am I right then in supposing this would be attempted fraud, if a court agrees that CoS(UK) were claiming that they were entitled to tax relief when they knew that they were not? Rather than actual fraud in that they got the tax relief?

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
OK, I'm getting there I think. Am I right then in supposing this would be attempted fraud, if a court agrees that CoS(UK) were claiming that they were entitled to tax relief when they knew that they were not? Rather than actual fraud in that they got the tax relief?

They did get the tax relief in the form of a mandatory business rates reduction on three properties. It's all explained in the document in my sig.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
Just had a skim through the document, very nice recommendations indeed.
I am so glad that there are outspoken, active exes out there doing good stuff.