What's new

Sea Org not only place in 1st world young people are worked to death!

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
The big, big difference here...I'm willing to wager that the 3 all-nighters were self-imposed...not so in Scientology...you know...that place where you're "self-determined" and not stimulus-response and not subject to "group-think".

Oh fess up. You did too agree. lol.

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious

OhMG

Patron Meritorious
When I started in the work force there was no such thing as an internship. You interviewed, you got hired, you started work, and you got paid. The idea of working for free was laughable.

Oh how far society has sunk.

Helena

Look to the people destroying the free market. That's why it is sinking fast.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
When I started in the work force there was no such thing as an internship. You interviewed, you got hired, you started work, and you got paid. The idea of working for free was laughable.

Helena

"Internship" does not necessarily mean "unpaid". My oldest has worked internships while in college, and was well paid.

An internship is a way for a company to "test drive" a person, and see if they would be interested in hiring that person later.

In an environment where it's hard to fire without risking "discrimination" and "unlawful termination" lawsuits, internships become a necessity.

kate8024

-deleted-
"Internship" does not necessarily mean "unpaid". My oldest has worked internships while in college, and was well paid.

An internship is a way for a company to "test drive" a person, and see if they would be interested in hiring that person later.

In an environment where it's hard to fire without risking "discrimination" and "unlawful termination" lawsuits, internships become a necessity.

The company I work for does paid internships. They are always students or people who just graduated and they get paid less than the normal employees but since they are usually still students they also have more flexibility in schedule and such. Most of our interns end up getting hired as normal employees either after they graduate if they are a student or after a few months if they are a recent graduate.

kate8024

-deleted-

Helena

I'm pretty sure internship has existed more or less since then invention of getting paid for doing work, though they are used more often in some fields than in others. You could probably even find some historical instances of people having to pay in order to have an internship (in addition to the current companies that will find people unpaid internships for a fee).

CO2

Patron Meritorious
I'm pretty sure internship has existed more or less since then invention of getting paid for doing work, though they are used more often in some fields than in others. You could probably even find some historical instances of people having to pay in order to have an internship (in addition to the current companies that will find people unpaid internships for a fee).

This is the great intern hall of fame:

http://www.woodardweb.com/intern-hall-of-fame/

[h=2]1) Benjamin Franklin[/h]
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
At the age of 12 he took an internship (ok, he called it an apprenticeship…but same idea) with his brother James to learn the trade of printing. As a young apprentice printer he took his first foray into politics when he secretly started publishing letters under various pseudonyms like “Silence Dogood.” After five years with his brother, Ben set out on his own and eventually helped found a nation. Not bad Ben, not bad.

[h=2]8 ) Oprah[/h]

Oprah got an internship at the CBS affiliate in Nashville, TN – they hired her full time in 1973, and she took off from there!

[h=2]11) Anne Boleyn[/h]
Anne Bolyeyn (1501-1536)
Anne served as a Lady-in-Waiting (aka “Renaissance internship for girls”) to Catherine of Aragon, first wife of King Henry VIII. The King loved Anne so much that he broke England away from the Catholic Church so he could marry her. With time, things started to turn out badly for Anne, eventually – really badly. Although, before it was all said and done she gave birth to Elizabeth, who would become one of England’s greatest monarchs.
[h=2]12) d’Artagnan[/h]
All For One
As an apprentice Fourth Musketeer, d’Artagnan manages to save King Louis XIV from the evil Cardinal Richelieu’s assassination plot. For his good deeds (and I suspect also because he has such a cool name) he gets hired as a full fledged Musketeer.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

In the past, young people did apprenticeships, where they helped out and learned the trade, and generally did not get more than room and board. Look at the medical profession, where the graduated doctor has to work a period as an intern, working long hours for a salary which (figured on an hourly basis) is not that much more than a burger flipper makes.

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
At the age of 12 he took an internship (ok, he called it an apprenticeship…but same idea) with his brother James to learn the trade of printing. As a young apprentice printer he took his first foray into politics when he secretly started publishing letters under various pseudonyms like “Silence Dogood.” After five years with his brother, Ben set out on his own and eventually helped found a nation. Not bad Ben, not bad.

[

Benny was something else.