What's new

Shooting Stars

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I notice Craig doesn't have any photos up of his days in the group :biggrin:
https://www.facebook.com/craig.ferreira

If I were he I wouldn't either. :lol:

Thanks for the Link...I don't do Facebook.

Craig was one of the very best musicians in the Stars and prior to Scn/Apollo played with Folks like Muddy Waters.

He had a pleasant, placid demeanor and we always got along well and I liked him.

It's been over 30 years since I last saw Craig.

Face:)

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Somewhere else on ESMB somebody is yammering about " quality of posts " on a thread.

In my modest opinion, in this Shooting Stars thread the post by face are of the best quality yet written on the 'net.

Anyone who hasn't read this thread might want to threat themself to it !

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Oh boy! This is a great thread!
Now I have to figure out where I left off...

eta: and cowboy's thread.. That could always be a great bump too!!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Yes, mut be read to be given a precious tour into the reality of who was Ron Hubbard, in the real true life.

A famous ESMB Thread!

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yep a wonderful thread. And I am not sure if I should derail it, but Tony has a very interesting post today and I thought our wonderful author of this thread would enjoy reading it. The quality of the writing does remind me of your great informative works Afaceinthecrowd. I am curious what you Face would think of it. Enjoy

SHANGRI-LA #20

Pipsqueak Prometheus:
Some Remarks on the Writings of L. Ron Hubbard
By William Blackbeard

“De L’audace, de l’audace, et toujours de l’audace!” – Danton.

excerpt

" ....This initial work, brief though it is and hastily written, contains in seedling form nearly every point which I wish to make about Hubbard’s writing, points which later grew to become monstrously evident in most of his major fiction and sent clotting branches into nearly everything else he wrote..."

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/16/sc...lmet-wearing-pipsqueak-prometheus/#more-28625

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yep a wonderful thread. And I am not sure if I should derail it, but Tony has a very interesting post today and I thought our wonderful author of this thread would enjoy reading it. The quality of the writing does remind me of your great informative works Afaceinthecrowd. I am curious what you Face would think of it. Enjoy

SHANGRI-LA #20

Pipsqueak Prometheus:
Some Remarks on the Writings of L. Ron Hubbard
By William Blackbeard

“De L’audace, de l’audace, et toujours de l’audace!” – Danton.

excerpt

" ....This initial work, brief though it is and hastily written, contains in seedling form nearly every point which I wish to make about Hubbard’s writing, points which later grew to become monstrously evident in most of his major fiction and sent clotting branches into nearly everything else he wrote..."

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/16/sc...lmet-wearing-pipsqueak-prometheus/#more-28625

Thanks for the Link, dchoiceisalwaysrs. :yes: Great Stuff...Perceptive, astute and well written. :thumbsup:

Face:)

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Thanks a whole bunch, Gizmo...Means a whole lot to me coming from you. :yes:

Face:blush:

Face, you have filled so many tome slots with the truth & what was really going on out of sight of the troops.

What you have shared has let so many of us look back with the new pieces you supplied & make some half-assed sense out it for ourselves.

Like many, there were things I just scratched my head over as they didn't make sense - you put the facts on the table for us.

My endless thanks to you my friend.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Time to reanimate this thread. Per chance I came across this interesting picture:

attachment.php

So what can we see there:
a ship, a microphone tripod, El Con Hubbard with his typical 1.1-smile sitting in a chair and ..... holding a trumpet in his hand !

Now this picture leads to more questions than answers.

Why is Hubbard holding a trumpet in his hand ?
Is Hubbard dreaming: "my name is not El Con, my true name is Freddie (Hubbard)" ?
Is Hubbard waiting for a job to blow ?
Was this Hubbard's own trumpet, or did he only hold the trumpet from an apollo star musician while he went to the toilet ?
With his rotten teeth, would have Hubbard been able to get a decent tone out of this instrument ?
Can Hubbard be heard on the POS-album playing this trumpet ?
Did Hubbard play the trumpet while people were overboarded ?
Or while children were put into the chain-locker ?
Or did Hubbard use the trumpet every morning to wake up his crew ?
If yes, how painful must this have been, judging from his smile.

questions upon questions, maybe anybody has an answer ? :coolwink:

Attachments

• Hubbard-Trumpet_pg70_1b.jpg
    Hubbard-Trumpet_pg70_1b.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Dawwwww, the ol' drugged-out sociopath was probably just blowing his own horn, dancing to the tunes in his own head.... (no doubt any bleatings he was able to pull from it was no better than his marvelous singing...ugh.)
Seriously, LRon had a 'tin ear' of Marcabian proportions, for the morbidly curious go track down some of the wonderous anecdotes from people who were unfortunate enough to be stuck trying to make music with the demented cur. I especially like the one about how he decided to record everything flat (whot is this 'mixing board' evil thingy-thing?), even the folks who pressed the albums were like, all wtf???
Bagpipes... he had enough windage and hot air, might have done well there. :omg:

:p

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Time to reanimate this thread. Per chance I came across this interesting picture:

attachment.php

So what can we see there:
a ship, a microphone tripod, El Con Hubbard with his typical 1.1-smile sitting in a chair and ..... holding a trumpet in his hand !

Now this picture leads to more questions than answers.

Why is Hubbard holding a trumpet in his hand ?
Is Hubbard dreaming: "my name is not El Con, my true name is Freddie (Hubbard)" ?
Is Hubbard waiting for a job to blow ?
Was this Hubbard's own trumpet, or did he only hold the trumpet from an apollo star musician while he went to the toilet ?
With his rotten teeth, would have Hubbard been able to get a decent tone out of this instrument ?
Can Hubbard be heard on the POS-album playing this trumpet ?
Did Hubbard play the trumpet while people were overboarded ?
Or while children were put into the chain-locker ?
Or did Hubbard use the trumpet every morning to wake up his crew ?
If yes, how painful must this have been, judging from his smile.

questions upon questions, maybe anybody has an answer ? :coolwink:

I find this Pic most surprising. :ohmy: An exceptional find on your part, uncover. :thumbsup:

It's a little known, obscure, carefully hidden fact and minor footnote of El Ron's Legacy that Hisself, secretly, found the sniffing of the mouthpieces, fondling of the tappets and caressing the shafts of just played Apollo Stars brass and reed instruments to be...shall I say..."Uplifting". :whistling:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dawwwww, the ol' drugged-out sociopath was probably just blowing his own horn, dancing to the tunes in his own head.... (no doubt any bleatings he was able to pull from it was no better than his marvelous singing...ugh.)
Seriously, LRon had a 'tin ear' of Marcabian proportions, for the morbidly curious go track down some of the wonderous anecdotes from people who were unfortunate enough to be stuck trying to make music with the demented cur. I especially like the one about how he decided to record everything flat (whot is this 'mixing board' evil thingy-thing?), even the folks who pressed the albums were like, all wtf???
Bagpipes... he had enough windage and hot air, might have done well there. :omg:

:p

:hifive:

In the Sound Recording Biz, recording everything "flat" is termed as "Dumbstick". :hysterical:

Last edited:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
:hifive:

In the Sound Recording Biz, recording everything "flat" is termed as "Dumbstick". :hysterical:
Not really..... depends on if you can afford AND USE a so called "multitrack-recorder". Those machines were available at least since the late 60's and looked like this:

AmpexMM1000.jpg

With such a machine you would "record" every instrument individually and flat and the equalization (and other treatment) would be applied later, during mixdown.

From an technical viewpoint Hubbards POS-"recording equipment" (and method) was laughable (and the blatancy with it was at the border of insanity) considering that - for example - the Rolling Stones had since 1968 the "Rolling Stones Mobile Studio" mounted in a truck where it looked like this inside:

RSMobileStudio21.jpg

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stones_Mobile_Studio

Last edited: