• Doing worse in most aspects of life

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Doing about the same

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Doing better financially but not emotionally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doing better emotionally but still have many financial problems

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • None of the above applies to my situation- Fluffy- you left some choices out!

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
According to Hubbard and to current CofS management, outspoken ex members are, at best, PTS and MU ridden and at worst, SPs whose overts are sure to catch up with them. Disconnection from "Source" and from "Mother Church" (They actually have referred to themselves as such in the IRS/CofS agreement) will, they say, surely do a person in and drive them down the tone scale.

However, most people I've talked to (including myself and my husband) - whether the person is a tech lover and/or Freezoner or Indie Scientologist or has ditched the subject/ideology as well as the cult- has said that they find they're doing BETTER after leaving Cof$. Better financially. Better emotionally. Better all the way around. I do recollect seeing a few threads and posts by people who'd just left and weren't doing well. I've talked to a couple who've not gotten their lives back, quite some time later, as well. I theorize that they are in the minority, overall.

But I would like to hear from you. I would like to know if my impressions are correct. I also think it might be fun to discuss this.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I'm forced to the last, since I was never in, however, since I begain publicly opposing Scientology and the 'Clearing of the Planet' I have:

Far improved my situation in life and my circle of friends.

Thank You Ron!

Zinj

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I'm forced to the last, since I was never in, however, since I begain publicly opposing Scientology and the 'Clearing of the Planet' I have:

Far improved my situation in life and my circle of friends.

Thank You Ron!

Zinj

Me, too!! I've made a LOT of friends since I started posting on that oh so strange and exciting day on a.r.s.

I don't like the poll. I have done a lot better out of the cult than in, but people have all sorts of "rough patches" they go through, in or out. Anyone who is not currently doing well is left focusing on the fact they they are not doing well. If someone is not doing well I can't imagine they'd want to do the poll, they would hardly conclude that perhaps they should go back in and things might get better.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, one thing I always do with my polls is to make it so that I cannot see the names/nicks of the voters. So hopefully that would address it.

I just get tired of church members- some of whom have posted here inveighing against ex members and other critics.- making the same dreary claim about how bad we all are and how we'll come to no good end. I used to hear stuff like that all the time in CofS.

freethinker

Sponsor
I'm doing much better for the entire period since out.

Not being focused on your eternity, clearing the planet, SP's and making more money to give to the church is incredibly freeing.

I feel much freer and more spiritually advanced since I left.

AnonSunshine

Patron with Honors
The first month after having left voluntarily from Scientology, I was in deep depression, :bigcry: perhaps, because I felt that I have been betrayed. I imersed myself in work and College, and never stopped. One year later, I joined the board at xenu.net, then other critical sites.
To read all the stories was very therapeutical to me. I found answers to many questions that I had been searching in my mind for years.
They tried to recover me stating that I had MUs, but I was sure that I had none. Life outside the frame of Scientology is great. :happydance: They pushed for the dangerous environment all the time, :nervous: but the truth is Scientology "Church" IS THE the dangerous environment. :omg:
Today, I am happy to dedicate part of my life to educate people about the personal dangers of joining Scientology Cult.
:thewinner: anyone, who is not in Scientology Church. :yes:

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
The only area I have a propblem with now is the 2D and I don;t really have a problem with it as long as I stay away from it.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Peachy!

I've been out of the SO for around 25 years and out of Scn for around 20 years and I'm doing just PEACHY!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the poll, Fluffy!

PeterMan

Patron with Honors
Credit

7 years after I left, my credit score cleared up enough to enable me to purchase my first home.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
This all is confirming what I thought BUT I will also say that Degraded Being kind of has a point, too, IMO.

So with that in mind, I want to say that if anyone here who has left is feeling really low, that please know that you have a support system here and people here who care.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
This all is confirming what I thought BUT I will also say that Degraded Being kind of has a point, too, IMO.

So with that in mind, I want to say that if anyone here who has left is feeling really low, that please know that you have a support system here and people here who care.

I went thru a "low" period after leaving. It's like a death or a lost relationship. I figured it was expected/acceptable response to leaving something that you'd put your whole heart into for X years.

And life can always be better, but I'm very happy with were I'm currently at - in life, in health, financially, etc.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
It did take time, I still believed I was evil when I left, I knew that the wog world was a dangerous place full of psyches trying to pull your brain through your nose if you said to anyone that you were unhappy. I knew that people who blew and were critical would die and worse still never find freedom in their future track.

Now I'm happy enough, feel fulfilled in many ways but I'm a lot older than I was when I was wasting my life in the SO, so I just can't do all the things I want to and now have the freedom to do. that's partly due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome too. But despite that I managed to get an Honours Degree in Fine Art. I have a pleasant home. I have freedom. I can paint if I want to, write stories if I feel like it, no one tells me I'm frying other fish. I can have a relationship without writing a CSW.

I can be the person I was before I went through the personality changing machinery.

Best of all I can say publicly that Scientology's crap without fear of erupting in boils, or being swallowed up by a crack in the pavement.

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
My first year out wasnt the best, I was very upset about the fact that I had just left my husband, friends and career as an auditor. It was a huge loss, and took a while to get over.

I spent a couple of months getting myself together, went back to uni and got a part time job. Since completing my degree I have worked all over the world, bought a house (thinking of buying another), represented my state in sport championships 5 times, have a wonderful relationship and thinking of a family, and I really make the most of everything. There are plenty of times I have thought "oh my god, Im in a tent in the freaking desert getting eaten by bugs, what in the world am I doing this for..." but for the most part I have been incredibly lucky and had wonderful lovely experiences.

There is no way in this universe that I would have ever been this successful, this happy and this content with all my dynamics (for lack of a better word) if I currently had ANYTHING to do with the church. There is nothing positive they can offer me that doesnt come with a coating of negative consequences.

Did being a Scio make me so successful? I dont think so. Sure, it taught me how to live on $20 a week, how to have a rediculous sense of responisbility etc. but in general the characterisitcs I have that have helped me I think I possessed all along. I always had a decent work ethic once I got into a routine, and I had good manners drummed into me from a young age, I was always eager to learn. It has taken me a long time to realise this - I still hung onto the idea til recently that I would have been a horrid, ordinary "wog" that wouldnt have really gotten anywhere without the time I spent in Scioland.

It aint true. I simply would have learned through other experiences instead.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Hi Fluffy,
We weren't doing badly whilst "in" but since disconnecting from the CofS (2 years ago) we're doing MUCH better in all aspects of life!
Thanks for asking! :)

Mystic

Crusader
I'd have to go None of the Above as I completed dumping all influences of tulpa-Hubbard spew 19 years ago.

But thanks for this thread.

free1996

Patron with Honors
Had no outside experience, no high school diplomia or GED nor enough education to try to pass, no outside social skills or friendships, no social security, no driver licence or id, no money or car, no jobs lined up. But I think I would have prefered to be a bum than to ever go back in.

I was a minor when I ran away and it had taken a long time to build up outside experience to work, had to learn how to drive and have had a few cars since I've been out. A sea org member falsefied my school transcripts so I could go to high school and finish.The hardest is finishing college as every class I've taken has been new. I'm struggling in math in college as I never took these.

I've had to take low grade jobs as the others require a BA or MA or years of experience that I lack causing my income to be horrible.

I've always had love and passion and learned how to create a family and show them everything I was denied.

I have friends that have nothing to do with Scientology and live where they have not cursed

I'm always amazed at how well people have made it once they got out and wonder often if it was prior college or experience or just pure luck.

free1996

Patron with Honors
Had no outside experience, no high school diplomia or GED nor enough education to try to pass, no outside social skills or friendships, no social security, no driver licence or id, no money or car, no jobs lined up. But I think I would have prefered to be a bum than to ever go back in.

I was a minor when I ran away and it had taken a long time to build up outside experience to work, had to learn how to drive and have had a few cars since I've been out. A sea org member falsefied my school transcripts so I could go to high school and finish.The hardest is finishing college as every class I've taken has been new. I'm struggling in math in college as I never took these.

I've had to take low grade jobs as the others require a BA or MA or years of experience that I lack causing my income to be horrible.

I've always had love and passion and learned how to create a family and show them everything I was denied.

I have friends that have nothing to do with Scientology and live where they have not cursed

I'm always amazed at how well people have made it once they got out and wonder often if it was prior college or experience or just pure luck.

But most of all, I'm not scared anymore!!! I feel in control of myself and no longer feel someone has to tell me who to be or what to do as I have my own mind now. To not be effected by my mom or words, no more matipulation. That I would be able to tell a Scientologist to go straight to hell!

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Well done, Free! I had some prior college and a family that cared and was never in. Your road was harder to hoe!