What's new

The 'Diana' formerly the 'Enchantress'

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
When I was at flag in the early eighties, there was a model of this ship in the lobby of the Fort Harrison.

Do any of you remember this, and would you like to hear a really hair-raising story about it, if you haven't already from my former posts?

BTW, I mean the real boat, not the model.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
It was the early eighties, and I had already left the Sea Org. I won't say blow, they can blow me.

I was seduced back in one more time by (of course) this really sexy woman in a Sea Org uniform.

The deal was, I would be flown to flag to work on 'renos' that would work off my 'freeloaders debt' at ten bucks an hour. Since I still harbored the false belief that the OT levels would really bestow upon me supernatural powers (how could they not, with all the people attesting that they could!) I figured this was a good deal.

This was, of course, a bunch of bullshit. But, that is not this story. What follows, is.

One night I was working out in the makeshift gym that was set up in the Fort Harrison parking garage, when this estates guy approached me and ask if I'd ever sailed a boat before. Well, I sort of had, if you included a small skiff in a harbor. However, I was also a certified diver, and this seemed to close the deal.

I had to submit a CSW to be allowed to leave my current duties, as any former Sea Org member would confirm, even though I wasn't officially 'in'. I had left without permission, and was called back for this mission with no consequences. Tells you something, huh?

Next thing I know, I was flying to North Carolina to rendezvous with the 'Diana'. Understand that this was the 'Enchanter' that was modeled in the Fort Harrison lobby, that was featured in 'Mission Into Time', with a name change. Which, all old time sailors will tell you, is a very bad luck thing to do to a ship, hehehe.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
This is going to be a very long story, oh man.

When I first arrived in Beaufort North Carolina, where the 'Diana' was suppose to be, I got off the bus and noticed that there where no motels or anything around, and that the town front dock didn't have anything that looked like the boat I was suppose to meet up with.

http://www.beaufort-nc.com/img/content/beaufort-nc-10.jpg

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
OK, that picture is misleading, because it was about 9 at night, and the only open place in the early eighties in Beaufort was a 7-11 near the bus drop off.

There was a cop car with a couple of local LEO's getting coffee, or something, so I approached them and told them my situation. I was suppose to meet my boat, but it wasn't here yet. They were sympathetic, and informed me that there were no motels in this town, but they could drive me to a near by town that did have one. So far, so good.

This was the first time it got weird.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
OK, this probably sounds unbelievable these days with the cops we have, but understand this was over thirty years ago in a small North Carolina town.

As these two LEOs drove me to the motel south of Beaufort and questioned me further, I eventually told them I was a hang glider pilot. It turned out they were sky divers, so we were instantly brother air junkies. I kid you not. It actually went so far that they invited me to their weekend sky dive, and promised to pick me up at the dock in Beaufort that morning. I really tried to be there, but whether they changed their mind, or I was late, I don't know.

Think this was the strangest thing that happened on that ride? Oh contraire.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I wish I had this kind of imagination.

On the way there, they got a radio call of 'shots fired' or something back in Beaufort. We were almost to the town and motel south of that when they u-turned and started back at about a hundred miles an hour. No kidding, I was looking at the speedometer from the back seat, and puckering severely, if you know what I mean.

I swear to god, they were saying that if it got serious, I could have the shotgun. I know, this sounds wild, and I think they were just testing me, but they really said that!

And just think, I haven't even found the ship yet!

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
They left me in the car, (without the shotgun, I should mention) for just a few minutes, then drove me again to the motel ten miles or so south. The next day I got a taxi back to the docks.

On my way there, I saw the Diana coming into port, and ran my ass off with my duffel bag trying to get their attention. I thought they were headed to sea without me. Turned out I needn't have, as they were just now getting to the Beaufort docks. My problems are over, right? No, they were just beginning in earnest.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
It turned out that the two Sea Org members who had crewed previously left after sailing through a hurricane. At least I thought that was the reason. Harry Mason might have been the biggest reason.

This guy was a classic egomaniac. He told everyone how he's actually a few feet out and above his body (I wonder how he figured that). He was always going on how great Australia was, and how only nuts came from California, which is my current home state.

He was big into putting other people down. This is something I noticed with more than one high level OT, like the Qual Division Sec I worked for when I was at ASHO day. He would just torture this soft-spoken part Oriental guy who was the staff course room supervisor. He obviously took great delight in making this guy miserable every morning at Qual meetings. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't tell that unbelievable bastard what I thought of him before I left.

Mason was as bad. It seems to be a kind of psychic vampirism or something that gets into these OT sevens. Want some advice? Never get into a house you can't leave (a boat) with one of them.

The cruise down to Charleston wasn't too bad. I had a bunk next to the hull so the roll of the boat was most pronounced. I had to bungee cord myself in to not get tossed out. You don't really sleep, you just kind of pass out between thrashes.

We had the freshest fish I've even eaten; a couple of minutes from being hooked, bludgeoned, cleaned to in the pan.

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been curious about the current status of the Diana formerly the Enchanter. I've never been able to find any photos of it after Scientology's claim to have restored it and use it again for training in 1991:

pg067_1.jpg
pg058_1.jpg
p60_1amm.jpg

p63_1amm.jpg
p63_3amm.jpg
p63_2mm.jpg

Although the Enchanter (rechristened the Diana in 1968) was retired from Ron’s service in the early 1970’s, and passed into other hands, her association with the Sea Organization as the vessel used to train the first members was not forgotten. In this tradition, she was sought and found and acquired again by the Sea Organization.

In 1989 a project to restore the Diana began. The extensive refitting was performed under the direction of Sea Organization veterans, who upgraded her to full professional standards. Using compilations of Ron’s nautical experience and his precise writings on how to sail the Diana, she was returned to service in 1991 as a training vessel for the crew of the new 440-foot Sea Org Motor Vessel, Freewinds[SUP]®[/SUP]. Today, the Diana proudly carries the Sea Organization flag, continuing her tradition as a training ship for able-bodied seamen and new Sea Organization members alike.

And those who sail upon her today, when guiding her bow delicately through ocean swells or hoisting her sails to greet a fresh breeze, do so with the same precision and respect for Old Man Sea that Ron had taught their predecessors.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been curious about the current status of the Diana formerly the Enchanter. I've never been able to find any photos of it after Scientology's claim to have restored it and use it again for training in 1991:

If they haven't regged for it in decades it is sunk.

Looking forward to the next installment of our saga.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
(See the post on page one for the part before this. I edited a previous post.)

Mason had hired this alcoholic older dude to be the skipper. Man, they were drinking beer all the time.

This guy might not have taken into account that this wasn't a fiberglass yacht, but a very large steel hulled boat with many times more the mass. When we were coming into the marina in Charleston, this guys was obviously having a bit of trouble maneuvering and shifted from forward to reverse and slammed the throttle trying to slow, and he wound up breaking the drive shaft. We were stuck in port while Mason had a new one made.

This thing had a shaft that moved inside a tube that was part of the variable pitch blades of the propeller. Apparently, when they made the new one, it was not quite right. On the way out when we finally left a couple of weeks later, the prop wasn't acting right. We had to get the Coast Guard to tow us back.

I had been the ship's diver, and had already cleaned off barnacles and such with rented scuba gear. They had me go inspect what was going on. I know propellers from flying lessons, and I could see that at low pitch, the prop was actually angled backwards, and at high pitch, just barely into it's range. It was like high gear was low gear, and low gear was reverse.

They didn't believe me! I held my ground, though, and informed them that I indeed knew what I was talking about, as I had been through the same ground school that Navy aviators go through when I was in the Navy Flying Club, and knew how propellers worked.

So, we were stuck back in Charleston.

I don't think I mentioned that when I was recruited by the Estates guy from the parking structure, he told me I would be getting 'wog wages', which was alright with me. However, Mason didn't pay me anything at all, just room and board. A couple of days back in port, and I walked into town to explore a little. When I got back, Mason starts telling 'this wasn't a libs day, mate'. WTF? I don't know why I didn't call him on that, but I guess I was still leery of OT's, though the glamor was starting to wear thin.

This guy would razz me all the time about stupid shit. I was broke by then, so I had no option but wait it out.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
After a few days back in Charleston, it was decided to abort for awhile and Mason was going to Flag. He was going to fly and pay for this other Scio who had been there with us. He decided that I could just take a bus back, even though he flew me to the mission. I asked him for some money, as I was broke and it was going to be a three day bus ride. I said he's gotta give me something. His answer; "I don't 'gotta' do nothin' mate."

I said, sure, you don't have to be ethical, but you might want to. This elicited a blank stare, but he did give me a twenty or something, so I didn't have to starve on the way. No doubt he was just worried about getting in trouble with the cult, or I'm sure he would have just told me to make a couple of peanut butter sammies to take with me.

Understand, this guy was a millionaire. He was just being an asshole.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Harry Mason? I think a few years ago on this board someone had said he died.

Last edited:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
A few weeks back at Flag, Mason approached me again, asking if I wanted to come along on another expedition. This time, he was hunting sunken treasure that he located (supposedly) from past live auditing. He needed divers.

Well, let me tell you, there was no way I was ever getting trapped aboard a boat with this asshole ever again, so I declined.

An interesting postscript;

Later, when I read Bent Corydon's book 'LRH, Messiah or Madman?' it mentioned this guy who drowned diving for treasure for some rich Australian. It probably was Harry Mason who this guy was working for.

If I hadn't heeded my reservations and decided to go on this adventure, it could have been me.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
After a few days back in Charleston, it was decided to abort for awhile and Mason was going to Flag. He was going to fly and pay for this other Scio who had been there with us. He decided that I could just take a bus back, even though he flew me back. I asked him for some money, as I was broke and it was going to be a three day bus ride. I said he's gotta give me something. His answer; "I don't 'gotta' do nothin' mate."

I said, sure, you don't have to be ethical, but you might want to. This elicited a blank stare, but he did give me a twenty or something, so I didn't have to starve on the way. No doubt he was just worried about getting in trouble with the cult, or I'm sure he would have just told me to make a couple of peanut butter sammies to take with me.

Understand, this guy was a millionaire. He was just being an asshole.

Does anyone know whatever happened to Harry Mason? I think a few years ago on this board someone had said he died.

I guess this guy:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?26110-HARRY-MASON-R-I-P