What's new

VIDEO LEAK: See Former Scientology Official Marty Rathbun Interrogated Under Oath

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Excellent comments and overviews:

J. Swift • 3 hours ago

Deixler pushing Rathbun to read an internal Liability Formula -- which is ecclesiastical in nature -- is proof that the Church uses privileged ecclesiastical folders against former members. This is inherently Fair Game and an egregious violation of what the David Miscavige, Mark Rathbun, Monique Yingling, and other CSI lawyers told the IRS in order to gain tax exemption.

Diexler proves in this deposition that Fair Game was not cancelled and that the Church uses privileged ecclesiastical folders against former members. Miscavige caused and allowed this privileged ecclesiastical letter between himself and Rathbun to be introduced into a legal hearing, thus proving he runs CSI. I say this because Miscavige would have had to tell Church lawyers about this letter because it was a personal priest-penitent letter to him from Rathbun and would have been located in Rathbun's privileged parishioner folders.

In attempting to establish a foundation, Deixler allows Rathbun to discuss tax exemption thus opening the door to this question: If what Mark Rathbun said in a 1993 letter was untrue, then was what Mark Rathbun told the IRS in pursuit of tax exemption also untrue?

Deixler's attempt to impeach Rathbun goes to impeaching the truthfulness of the Church's tax exemption as well -- and this could become a matter for a Grand Jury or DOJ probe.

Deixler and Miscavige can't have it only one way: Attacking Rathbun is attacking tax exemption is attacking Miscavige.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/23/vi...ion-his-liability-formula/#comment-1813564114

Graham Berry • 5 hours ago

This is a very interesting deposition extract from my perspective. There are some very interesting statements on the 1993 Scientology-IRS secret tax exempt status agreement. For some reason Rathbun, after that event in 1993, had left ("blown") the Sea Organization despite this accomplishment and had been recovered (recaptured).

At 020, Marty testifies that, in essence, per Hubbard policy, "The job of legal is not to make the organization comply with the law. The job of legal is to make the law comply with the organization. This is day to day life in the legal department of Scientology."

At 13:08, Marty testifies that Miscavige said to him, in essence: "The IRS exemption never would have happened absent you. You are the guy that made it happen. And you are a Kha Khan. You can commit murder ten times and you are forgiven."

At 13:57, Marty testifies that "Williams & Connelly" [the DC powerhouse law firm with Gerry Feffer, Esq.] had
screwed the whole thing up. That's what caused Miscavige and me to go in there."

If only Marty would bare his memory, soul and conscience about every aspect and detail of Scientology's "War against the IRS," and the meetings with the IRS Commissioner, then David Miscavige's reign of terror and abuse could be ended.

How did Marty "make it [the IRS exemption] happen?" I believe that an accurate and comprehensive response
would be the church's Waterloo. It would probably lose the status, have to reform, and pay a penalty, before
recovering the status.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/23/vi...ion-his-liability-formula/#comment-1813378858

Betsy Graham Berry • 3 hours ago

In one of Jeffrey Augustine's podcasts (can't remember which, sorry) he goes into some detail about the non-Co$ lawyers who were involved in things like the tax-exemption scam. He actually recited a list of names. I was sorry Marty didn't know about or didn't recall them, because I think the depositioner was trying to make Marty seem like an ignorant messer-upper, as he tried to do in the first part when Marty said that he was head of the legal division and was asked "Were you a lawyer, sir? Did you graduate from college?" Can't quite figure out what the point of this is...maybe to imply that any illegalities or untruths about the tax status are Marty's fault for handling legal problems as an uneducated person? (Obviously a lot of what this is about has NOTHING to do with the Garcia case, but is intended to make Marty look like a liar and jerk so that any testimony he gives about Chorch justice proceedings will be discounted.)

I'm a bit mystified, though, by the venomous quality of this deposition...it's almost as though the lawyer is just a mouthpiece for Miscavige. Anyone out there who knows about these things who might shed some light on this?

I was also puzzled by the lawyer's insistence on getting Marty to say that his claim that DM was a friend was a lie. Many people consider others friends and later change their minds.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/23/vi...ion-his-liability-formula/#comment-1813562473

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
My favourite comment so far: ( my bolding)

TheHoleDoesNotExist • 6 hours ago

I love the fact that the definition of Fair Game goes on record, which Deixler will try to cut out. This depo video reminds me why scientology will throw everything at a case to keep it from trial. Why? Because any lawyer worth his or her salt will have a full lineup of mental health experts, cult experts, brainwashing experts, experts on Geneva Convention rules regarding prisoners, experts on stockholm syndrome, experts on each mental disorder every, yes every, scientologist suffers from by the time they get this deep in, for this long.

And that's why Deixler keeps trying to twist this tortuous and illegal subterfuge and manipulation as just a little worn out or a little under pressure. It is Nothing like that.

It's impossible to understand fully what happens to your critical thinking and reasoning capacity, or even your ability to coordinate hand movements, or to understand what is happening as it is happening. Just a few months of sleep deprivation makes anyone hallucinate and suffer the long list of symptoms from this mechanism. Yes, anyone and everyone. Once you've had the full workup, it is a very deep, dark and stone cold break from anything approaching reality. You are prodded and poked and screamed at and deprived until you are desperate for the slightest warmth of human comfort and compassion.

And That is when they have you.
Either the ethics wolves or some other person will be tagged and come in just as that moment to "help" you see your way out of the cave. In Marty's case, this tag was Miscavige himself. No court of law should ever be allowed to use a person's words or actions while in this state to be considered their normal thoughts or feelings or behavior. It is an insidious and intentional effort to break a person down into a pool of defeat. And scientology will do anything to keep this from going on the record.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/23/vi...ion-his-liability-formula/#comment-1813251229

. . .
What a horrible way to spend one's latter years . . . endless lawyers, depositions, court cases.
I guess Marty got in with the wrong crowd. That's all I can say. And now he's payin' for it. :shrug:

better than being bored and jaded with a suburban mortgage, a semi alcoholic old lady and 2.3 kids...

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
I think maybe Marty has an ace up his sleeve, that he is holding. Or maybe not. I just don't think he's told everything he knows about what happened with the IRS. I'm sure there's some dirt he could spill, but maybe not without implicating himself.

We may never know.

Yeah, I could not figure out ANY reason the IRS would cave in to some dork Scientologists, just because they launched a bunch of lawsuits. Unless the COS (Crimewave of Scn) had dirt or leverage on them.

The IRS (at that time) could not have cared less about some stupid-ass litigation from a bunch of cult members. The IRS, recall, was all-powerful at the time and could easily have run over & flattened the church any time it wanted to.

If what Terril reports (that Marty volunteered the unsolicited statement that "no blackmail" was involved in the IRS about-face), I simply do not believe that.

Why would mega-agency with the power of the federal government crumble just because some loudmouthed cult members didn't like being taxed? They would not.

I am waiting for the day the real story comes out about how the tax ruling was gained. It is the same story as why the IRS has allowed the COS to violate its "confidential" settlement agreement for decades without any enforcement.

Federal agencies don't do things like that.

Corrupt and/or blackmailed Federal agencies do.

CONCLUSION: If Scientology is involved in "making something go right", it's a safe bet to assume it's both IMMORAL AND ILLEGAL.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
Yeah, I could not figure out ANY reason the IRS would cave in to some dork Scientologists, just because they launched a bunch of lawsuits. Unless the COS (Crimewave of Scn) had dirt or leverage on them.

The IRS (at that time) could not have cared less about some stupid-ass litigation from a bunch of cult members. The IRS, recall, was all-powerful at the time and could easily have run over & flattened the church any time it wanted to.

If what Terril reports (that Marty volunteered the unsolicited statement that "no blackmail" was involved in the IRS about-face), I simply do not believe that.

Why would mega-agency with the power of the federal government crumble just because some loudmouthed cult members didn't like being taxed? They would not.

I am waiting for the day the real story comes out about how the tax ruling was gained. It is the same story as why the IRS has allowed the COS to violate its "confidential" settlement agreement for decades without any enforcement.

CONCLUSION: If Scientology is involved in "making something go right", it's a safe bet to assume it's both IMMORAL AND ILLEGAL.

number 10

http://www.lermanet.com/cos/8steps.html

It would be really nice if Pat Broeker stepped up to the plate. :yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Perhaps you forgot about what was happening that lead up to the settlement. The allegations against IRS officials by the church... the 200 ongoing lawsuits against the IRS, coupled with lawsuits against the IRS and multiple federal government agencies by Scientology and over 2,000 'parishioners'? Consider the costs, the effect on tax payer monies for cases that would continue to go one and on...

Consider this

IRS v. Church of Scientology Revelations: Operating Thetan Paul Caron Reports
Peter Pappas June 23, 2009 The Tax Lawyer's Blog
Here are some of the interesting revelations of fact leading up to the IRS settlement:

The IRS revoked The Church of Scientology’s tax exemption on the grounds that Scientology was not a religion.
Scientology stood to lose millions of dollars of contributions as a result of the revocation and, therefore, decided to fight back.

Scientology sued the IRS for reinstatement of its tax exemption and, in the Discovery process, obtained thousands of documents that it used to accuse the IRS of discrimination and misconduct.
Over 2,000 contributors to the church also sued the IRS in individual lawsuits demanding that their contributions be considered tax deductible

A Judge had ruled that Scientology was indeed a religion under the Tax Code’s definition and minutes of a meeting were discovered in which twenty IRS officials, in response to the Judge’s ruling, decided to change the definition to exclude Scientology.

Scientology published in its magazine, Freedom, several stories about these minutes and other alleged misconduct of IRS officials and put copies of the magazine on the front steps of IRS headquarters in Washington D.C.

It is clear that The Church of Scientology intentionally embarked on a course of action that would, in their own words, “overwhelm the IRS. Force mistakes.”

And it is equally clear that the strategy worked [..]

[..]

Many believe that Scientology successfully blackmailed the IRS into reinstating it’s tax exemption.

Here’s Scientology executive Marty Rathbun’s response to that charge:

[C]ontrary to rumor, no bribes were paid, no extortion used. It was round-the-clock preparation and persistence — plus thousands of lawsuits, hard-hitting magazine articles and full-page ads in USA Today criticizing the IRS.

That was enough. You didn’t need blackmail.

Um, Mr. Rathbun, does that mean if you needed blackmail, you would have used it?

In any event, the upshot is Scientology was audited and is now in the clear.

(Okay, I lied.)

Final thought: Scientology must have a lot of money to be able to crush the IRS. The Vatican itself would have been hardpressed to raise the funds needed for such a scorched earth campaign. I guess getting to “clear” isn’t cheap.
http://www.pappastax.com/irs-v-church-of-scientology-operating-thetan-paul-caron-reports/

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Over 2,000 contributors to the church also sued the IRS in individual lawsuits .....
Just wondering, how many of that 2000 are now out AND regretting what they have done...... Anyone of them lurking here on ESMB ?

Veda

Sponsor
It's not unreasonable for the IRS to change a definition - in the direction of tightening a definition - if it realizes that a nefarious group has found a loophole in that definition.

Can anyone confirm just how the minutes of that meeting were obtained? Freedom of Information act? Electronic bugging? ???

______________​

Author Lawrence Wright, from an interview, a few years ago:

In 1993, the "Church" owed a billion dollars in back taxes. They had decided not to pay taxes, and desperately needed a tax exemption or they would go out of business. We would not be talking about the "Church of Scientology" if they had not gotten an IRS tax exemption.

David Miscavige [had] launched 2,300 lawsuits against the IRS, and individual agents, hired private investigators to follow individual agents around, and part of the deal, whatever the merits of the case, was that the IRS would give the "Church" tax exemption, forgive the billion dollars, and the "Church" would call off the private investigators, and drop the lawsuits...

When the IRS made that determination, then the protections of the first amendment, freedom of religion clause, came into play, and those are vast protections, and it's because of those protections that the "Church" is able to operate today...

One of those followed around by private investigators was the IRS Commissioner.

__________​

Message to U.S. taxpayers:

[video=youtube;ewQ8bgMMqnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQ8bgMMqnQ[/video]

kh-hero.jpg

On April 26, 2001, Keith Hensen had been convicted for "interfering with a religion," by picketing outside Scientology's heavily armed, razor wire enclosed, base, at Hemet, California.

Several years ago Keith Henson made a rare appearance and asked Marty Rathbun about the IRS deal on Rathbun's Blog, 26 September, 2011:

Marty... as I recall, you were there. If not part of the original project that corrupted the IRS in 1991. IIRC, you and DM marched past a startled secretary and into Fred Goldberg's office.

Wikipedia used to say:

'Allegedly, Church officials, including David Miscavige, paid private investigators to acquire some unspecified compromising information on Goldberg during his time as commissioner, and then strode into his office without an appointment one day to demand terms. The meeting was not listed on Goldberg's appointment calendar, which was obtained by the New York Times through the Freedom of Information Act.'

Leading up to that meeting was two years of work by PIs Michael L. Shomers and Thomas J. Krywucki.

Wonder what you could fill in on what they did?"

And Rathbun blew him off by responding:

Keith, yeah, I am all powerful...

_______​

In 1993, after more than 20 years of harassment and possible blackmail, the IRS, almost overnight, reversed itself.

One difficulty with an investigation is that the IRS may have its own dirty laundry to cover up, as its "settlement" with Scientology was improper and it knows it.

Some doctrinal background:

Excerpt from 1960 HCOPL 'Department of Government Affairs':

If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization always find or manufacture enough threat against them to get them to sue for peace....

The goal of the Department [of Special Affairs] is to bring the government and hostile philosophies or societies into a state of complete compliance... This is done by high level ability to control and in its absence by low level ability to overwhelm. Introvert such agencies. Control such agencies.

michael-douglas3.jpg

He didn't know.

By accident, I came across this, from two years and one month ago. It's a reminder of Mike Rinder's views (and, although he's absent from the quotes, also Marty Rathbun's views) a relatively short time ago.

mrinder December 17, 2012 at 1:11 am

Not sure where you get your information from that LRH approved operations against Paulette Cooper or Gabe Cazares? Or are you asserting this based on the logic of “it was his organization so therefore he knew”?

mrinder December 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Clearly you didnt know Mary Sue Hubbard. If you had you would understand how silly this is. He is the LAST person on earth she would tell about illegal actions. Your assumptions are just that, and certainly not based on anything other than “Most dogs are brown. He has a dog. Therefore his dog is brown.” The outpoint in your conclusion is “assume similarities are not similar.”

mrinder December 17, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Yeah, that’s Tonja Burden. Who filed a civil case trying to collect money. There was TONS of shredding done in the paranoia to eradicate anything that gave ANY connection between LRH and the GO. It was nuts and unreal. But I do not believe ANY documents ever indicated any connection between LRH and an “operative” doing some illegal act.

But this is a debate that is pointless continuing. It’s unprovable either way. And no matter what I say, it won’t satisfy those who wish to believe otherwise.​

Contrast this with Mike Rinder 15 months later:

mrinder on March 11, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Just for starters, DM most certainly was Action Chief CMO Int. For MANY years. It was where he gained the trust of LRH and LRH started calling him “Misc” and addressing despatches to him that way. One of the few people that LRH addressed on despatches with cc’s to their nickname. Miscavige was NOT Mission IC of “Special Project”, Terri Gamboa was. Miscavige was “Special Pjt Ops” (as in Mission Operator).

Ron absolutely abolished the GO. The Exec Strata was formed and the issues written about it before the formation of OSA. I had personal conversations with LRH about the disbandment of the GO and his desire to see it eradicated entirely as it had become a liability. You do not think that the GO was disbanded without his knowledge and Guardian PL canceled etc etc etc. Where are the docs? They don’t exist, remember, LRH was trying to avoid being connected in any way to the actions of the GO or Mary Sue, he was an unindicted co-conspirator.

Nothing was in writing. And though he had expressed a LOT of disgust about the GO during the “Confront of Evil” period and the formation of the Office of Evaluation and Execution, where it came up routinely that GO staff were employing org staff in their personal business, the reason for disbanding the GO was that they were not protecting him from criminal and civil liability. He considered they had betrayed him (inclusive of Mary Sue).

The idea that he knew nothing about Snow White and the illegal acts that were ongoing is tantamount to saying L. Ron Hubbard was blind, unaware and incapable of spotting an outpoint. That was NOT the case. He was briefed by Mary Sue every single day at lunch during the heyday of the GO Ops — in detail. If she didnt tell him “Joe Blow infiltrated the IRS and got documents” she told him what they knew (if you don’t believe he expected to be briefed about everything the GO was doing, then you also give him less credit than he deserved, he was not one not to be curious) and he would have figured it out. Believe me, the programs and actions written to implement Snow White WERE know[n] and authorized all the way to the top.

LRH directed exactly what was to be done at the Mission Holders Conference in SFO following the one in Clearwater. The whole thing was recorded so it could be sent to him. He listened to it, sent Miscavige and the others commendations and ordered that the entire transcript be published...

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...king-derringer&p=967138&viewfull=1#post967138

Wow. Just to put these two views side by side:

mrinder December 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Clearly you didnt know Mary Sue Hubbard. If you had you would understand how silly this is. He is the LAST person on earth she would tell about illegal actions. Your assumptions are just that, and certainly not based on anything other than “Most dogs are brown. He has a dog. Therefore his dog is brown.” The outpoint in your conclusion is “assume similarities are not similar.”

michaeljrinder
on March 11, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

The idea that he knew nothing about Snow White and the illegal acts that were ongoing is tantamount to saying L. Ron Hubbard was blind, unaware and incapable of spotting an outpoint. That was NOT the case. He was briefed by Mary Sue every single day at lunch during the heyday of the GO Ops — in detail. If she didnt tell him “Joe Blow infiltrated the IRS and got documents” she told him what they knew (if you don’t believe he expected to be briefed about everything the GO was doing, then you also give him less credit than he deserved, he was not one not to be curious) and he would have figured it out. Believe me, the programs and actions written to implement Snow White WERE know[n] and authorized all the way to the top.

It's fair to say that Marty Rathbun (and Mike Rinder) are still changing, de-compressing, or whatever one wishes to call it.

Who knows what will come out about the IRS deal.... tomorrow? or the next day?

Chess

Patron with Honors
[QUOTE

Is doing even more to bring down DM. I don't see that as sordid.[/QUOTE]

Hi Terrill,

Not unless you're one of the "people" that Marty put $cn's version of ethics/justice in on.
I have very little time for the exec's who floated around the top of $cn management prancing their stuff while completely ignoring the squirreling of the tech and the massive off-policy actions they accepted and were party too.
I don't know about you, I was staff and either wrong or right I had put my faith in what I found out later were double standards (betrayal) flowing back down the lines. Manipulate and enhance the money making ability of the mother church at all costs and to hell with anything or anybody else and particularly the policy of Hubbard - but let the minions gobble up that stuff!
I have just as much right to be treated as fairly as they are, probably more so as I'm not near as criminal as they are/have been but they lived off my (our) effort & $, not the other way around. Maybe there will never be an adequate sense of justice played out about the effect of corporate $cn but rest assured I'm a very real person and am 'at large' out here in the real world. I don't forgive easily - they stole over a decade of my life & God knows how much $ and this Rathbun guy was in charge of RTC Ethics and church legalese during their heyday. At bare minimum he should bring down miscavige and then beg for forgiveness from each and every person ever affected by RTC. He doesn't get to decide when he's done - he's even reversed the liability formula, and exactly who are his friends anyway? It's sure not standard Scientologists, never has been, read his blog/books & at minimum he thinks they're brain washed. Rathbun is the last person in the world that should be considered an expert on the subject of the human mind, he lives in amongst and practices the most remarkable hypocritical justifications I've ever seen. My opinion is that they are indeed a sordid lot until PROVEN otherwise - the Cof$ & RTC are still there and are still hurting people.

Last edited:

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron
Just wondering, how many of that 2000 are now out AND regretting what they have done...... Anyone of them lurking here on ESMB ?

thank you.... very good question.

I wish there is someone brave enough to answer.

About Marty's comment Re- the obsequious response to the ethics actions, and the frame of mind which they are designed to produce, when I was on OT 7, I always tried to avoid to commit any overts that would lead to my being truly embarrassed putting them on a liability formula. One of the most degrading liability formulas I ever signed at Flag AO was one where the person had committed masturbation overts. I truly was appalled that was the reason for his formula, and that the MAA ever allowed him to head out for signatures.

Scum. I'd like to see Deixlers's frame of mind after he was put through a similar wringer of sec checking and lowers. He'd sing a different tune, the arrogant bastard.

Mimsey

Caroline

Patron Meritorious

Gerry concluded some time ago that the key to the IRS decision and its cancellation is the “public policy” issue, or actually public policy violations issue. This explains why neither Rathbun nor Rinder have told the truth about their fair gaming of Gerry, Mike Flynn, etc., and have not told the truth about false statements to and dealings with the IRS. From the Introduction to the Armstrong Operation:

Gerry Armstrong said:
Finding these transcripts led me back to Rathbun’s 2009 Tampa Bay Times video interview about the IRS. He says that before Miscavige and he visited IRS Commissioner Fred Goldberg in 1991, the Scientologists had “a lot of expensive attorneys from D.C. and Washington” who had been “attempting at different levels to start negotiations.” Rathbun says that his surprise visit with Miscavige to Goldberg “opened the door [ ] to get negotiations going.” In this context, “negotiate” means to confer to reach an agreement or to arrange or settle by discussion and mutual agreement.

Rathbun says that after the surprise visit or door opening, the negotiation “went on for at least two years.” He says that he and primarily Miscavige “were literally commuting to Washington D.C. almost every week.” Rathbun says they would “see the IRS, present the answers to [the IRS’s] set of questions, get another set of questions, go back to L.A., get the information together [ ] Boom! Next Sunday, back on a plane, back to D.C., another meeting [ ] That went on for two years.”

Rathbun says that Goldberg opened up the door for the Scientologists to make a case for tax exemption. Rathbun says Goldberg opened that door by creating “a team that didn’t really have a long track record on this.” “This” here has to be understanding and standing up to the Scientologists’ lies and other antisocial or criminal behavior against citizens and even against the US Government. Rathbun says that Goldberg brought in IRS personnel to deal with the Scientologists who were “fresh, who [ ] knew exempt organizations but didn’t have a long history with Scientology.”

Rathbun black PRs the IRS personnel who had a track record and a long history with the Scientologists as “some real haters, some real Scientology haters within.” He says they “had an attitude of, no matter what you said, they were going to [ ] deny the exemption.” Rathbun is lying, and his reason for lying is obvious. The IRS personnel with track records and a knowledge of history, and, I suppose, consciences, hated the Scientologists’ lies and other antisocial or criminal behavior against citizens and Government. These knowledgeable IRS personnel might have especially hated, just as many knowledgeable non-IRS people hate, lies and other antisocial or criminal behavior being directed and justified by “religion.”

With knowledgeable, incorrupt track record IRS personnel, the Scientologists would have had to tell the truth in their submissions to “make a case for exemption.” And, of course, if they told the truth, the Scientologists could never obtain an exemption. Goldberg, according to Rathbun, got rid of the knowledgeable, track record personnel, and replaced them with a team of agents, supposedly selected for their ignorance, but definitely selected for their corruptness, who would then allow, and in fact require, that the Scientologists continue to lie to make the case for exemption. The Scientologists had to provide statements, facts and answers to the Goldberg team’s questions that were acceptable to the Goldberg team. The Scientologists and the Government conspirators reached an agreement on what would be acceptable by negotiations over two years. By law, what the Scientologists submitted had to be true. The Government conspirators had to have required that in vital areas what the Scientologists submitted be false. Even though Rathbun only admits to the “Goldberg team,” the term “Government conspirators” is proper because the various decisions, from the first door opening, involved other US Government departments and personnel beyond the IRS.

Rathbun says in his Tampa Bay Times interview that Goldberg’s getting rid of the team with the track record and bringing in a team without a long history with Scientology was “so positive and unique.” This is because it let the Scientologists get away with lying, indeed required them to lie. From the Scientologists’ viewpoint, that is as positive as it gets. Before then, having to deal with the track record IRS team, for years the Scientologists had not been able to get away with lying for their exemption; so finally being able to get away with their lying was unique. When Goldberg got rid of the incorrupt track record team, the Scientologists had to lie to give the Government conspirators both the basis for the exemption and the justification for actions the Government conspirators took to make it possible for the Scientologists to lie and have their lies accepted and work. The Scientologists’ submissions to the IRS that resulted in the exemption contain black PR about the knowledgeable IRS personnel that Goldberg took off the Scientology case or cases.

In the Times interview, Rathbun provides what he says were the Scientologists’ purposes for all their efforts to obtain IRS tax exemption: to facilitate getting away with the torts and crimes their victims were alleging in legal proceedings; and to keep, and keep making, money.

Rathbun said:
t was always perceived that the IRS was the most important thing to handle because if you have tax exemption you have [ ] religious recognition, you’re treated differently in courts, you know, there’s [ ] some level of almost immunity, First Amendment immunity, to a lot of the type of allegations that were being made.

So, the IRS was the big thing to handle. [W]hen I was involved in that in the late ’80s, we had calculated that they, the IRS, considered that the churches had upward of a billion dollars in liability.

And the total reserves of the church were [ ] a fraction of that. Maybe in the 200 million range. So, literally, they could have wiped Scientology out five times through.

So [ ] between having got rid of a lot of the civil suits in the mid ’80’s and ’93, when we ultimately got exemption, I mean the number one mission was to obtain [ ] tax exemption from the IRS and [ ] that was the bulk of what my attention was on and what I worked on.

The Scientologists considered their attitude, intention and actions against the IRS personnel who opposed their tax exemption demands over many years, war. The Scientologists even organized a monstrous “The War Is Over” celebration when the IRS granted the exemption in 1993. The Scientologists also considered they were at war with the Suppressive Person class, who were not IRS or Government agents from other departments, but citizens in many walks of life. These are people, the Scientologists declare, who impede or threaten them in their push to have their lies accepted and to get away with other antisocial or criminal behavior. The way ordinary citizens impede or threaten the Scientologists, naturally, is telling the truth about their lies and other antisocial or criminal behavior. In his scripture, Hubbard called the Scientologists’ “battle tactics,” how they were to treat or handle the SPs who they think threaten or impede them, “Fair Game,” or War.

In the Times interview, Rathbun only provides a couple of generalities about his actions and battle tactics against the IRS personnel who knew the Scientologists’ history of lies and other antisocial and criminal activities and impeded them in their seizure of tax exemption.

Rathbun said:
n the late [ ] ’80s [ ] and going into the early ’90s [ ] I was tasked with [ ] implementing [ ] strategies to try to overwhelm the IRS like they were attempting to overwhelm us. And it was sort of like a “fight fire with fire” situation.

[W]e brought [ ] Freedom of Information Act lawsuits, um, in numerous different jurisdictions. We had [ ] litigation strategies to [ ] counteract their strategies to deny certain churches exemption and that sort of thing. But [ ] it was a huge battlefield. It was nation-wide. It was literally twenty-seven hundred suits at one point.

And I was very much involved in coordinating and coming up with strategies and then executing a lot of that between the late ’80s and the early ’90s.

In a March 9, 1997 New York Times article, writer Douglas Frantz reported some more detail about the Scientologists’ war with the IRS, the “negotiations” with Goldberg’s new IRS team, and the war’s settlement conditions.[13]

The “type of allegations that were being made” against the Scientologists, for which they sought and obtained the “First Amendment immunity” that came with IRS tax exemption, were the type of allegations made by the class of people who sued the Scientology entities, and whose cases the Scientologists identify in their submissions to the IRS. These types of allegations were what the Goldberg IRS team had to have asked about in relation to the issue of the Scientologists’ violations of public policy in the service of their Scientology seniors.

Obviously the IRS accepted the negotiated statements that justify its grant of tax exemption. Obviously too, the IRS would not have granted the tax exemption without the negotiated statements. There are many pages I’ve now found of black PR on Flynn and me that the IRS solicited, and knew to be false. The IRS did not contact me at any time to verify, refute, clarify or contextualize the Scientologists’ claims about me. Hubbard’s death took care of the inurement problem the Scientologists had with the IRS. But a criminal conspiracy does not take care of their public policy problem. It confirms that the tax exemption is unmerited and unlawful.

----
[13] See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/nytimes.html

From Introduction to the Armstrong Operation

Yeah, Marty had his hand in plenty of Fair Game "moves" against the innumerable "enemies" of Hubbard and Miscavige. But he has quite extraordinarily recovered himself fully now. I think of these absurdly immoral court actions that he is entangled with (this case and his wife's) to be a free PARTING GIFT from the cult. Kind of their way of saying, "We so enjoyed coercing & torturing you all those years, have a little more before you go."

All things considered, Marty is doing a good job of keeping his cool while the cult's lawyer sits in front of him smirking and needling him with Fair Game litigation---while interrogating him about Fair Game. Even for Scientology, that's damn evil irony. Like I say: "Scientology: Where the rapist is your ethics officer."

I thought it was a parting gift thing too, but was reminded somewhere that there most likely is no such thing as parting; that Marty will be hounded till the day he dies, unless he can stop it. Marty's way of pointing at the IRS stuff and having to take swipes at DM, will, especially if he scores a few hits, only make DM more provoked. It all goes to perpetuate Marty as a permanent SP who will never get off the fair game list, as long as DM is not disabled.

Terril park

Sponsor

Possibly ambiguous above, but thats what he did. Axiom 142 was there
and may also recall this, though maybe not, the pub was fairly noisy.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser

Were the many many lawsuits against the IRS by scn & scn'gists ?

scn owed more than a billion in back taxes.

So, it would seem weathering the lawsuits would have been still very profitable.

Gets down to did OSA have some serious dirt on major IRS players ?

It sure fits a pretty well known & long established pattern of behavior of OSA to gather dirt on oppopnents - & threaten to use it "unless".

On the other hand, how often does a hard core heartless IRS just fold their tent & run from a fight ?

NO, I can't prove but I damn sure believe it.

Terril park

Sponsor
[QUOTE

Is doing even more to bring down DM. I don't see that as sordid.

Hi Terrill,

Not unless you're one of the "people" that Marty put $cn's version of ethics/justice in on.
I have very little time for the exec's who floated around the top of $cn management prancing their stuff while completely ignoring the squirreling of the tech and the massive off-policy actions they accepted and were party too.
I don't know about you, I was staff and either wrong or right I had put my faith in what I found out later were double standards (betrayal) flowing back down the lines. Manipulate and enhance the money making ability of the mother church at all costs and to hell with anything or anybody else and particularly the policy of Hubbard - but let the minions gobble up that stuff!
I have just as much right to be treated as fairly as they are, probably more so as I'm not near as criminal as they are/have been but they lived off my (our) effort & $, not the other way around. Maybe there will never be an adequate sense of justice played out about the effect of corporate $cn but rest assured I'm a very real person and am 'at large' out here in the real world. I don't forgive easily - they stole over a decade of my life & God knows how much $ and this Rathbun guy was in charge of RTC Ethics and church legalese during their heyday. At bare minimum he should bring down miscavige and then beg for forgiveness from each and every person ever affected by RTC. He doesn't get to decide when he's done - he's even reversed the liability formula, and exactly who are his friends anyway? It's sure not standard Scientologists, never has been, read his blog/books & at minimum he thinks they're brain washed. Rathbun is the last person in the world that should be considered an expert on the subject of the human mind, he lives in amongst and practices the most remarkable hypocritical justifications I've ever seen. My opinion is that they are indeed a sordid lot until PROVEN otherwise - the Cof$ & RTC are still there and are still hurting people.[/QUOTE]

It loolks like you suffered personally at the hands of Marty? His very first internet post which I believe was here, he asked anyone who had issueswith him to communicate with him.

You say :- ". He doesn't get to decide when he's done -" I'd say thats not true. However he per his own actions is not done yet. Further he has put a lot of effort into suggesting people leave the subject of Scn.

You say:- "Maybe there will never be an adequate sense of justice played out about the effect of corporate $cn "

My view is that's what Marty is trying to bring about. He didn't have to have his wife start her lawsuit, he didn't have to volunteer to testify in the
Garcia lawsuit, he didn't have to put himself up as DM enemy No 1 with his blog, or to later alienate former allies by distancing himself from Scn and
pointing out flaws.

He seemed happy that the FZ would be targeted less because he would become the main target.

As I mentioned in passing when we met, our philosophy contains the concept of redemption. IMO thats a path he's on.

phenomanon

Canyon
And the "OT" is only allowed to see his solo folders, not the review folders.

When I was in, my "hidden standard" for OT (obviously above the CofS OT8 level) was no longer having to have a stack of auditing folders that needed FESing etc. Little did I dream how unnecessary they all were!

Paul

LOL.

While I was on the Flagship, in 1971, some fool sent my folders to my home where my (then) Husband had full freedom to read them.

In 1984, the D of P at ASHO reade portions of my disconnected Daughter's sessions ( that pertained to me) to me on the telephone.

An SHSBC Student can read any PC folder that they care to by simply going to Course Admin and getting it. No problem. If one is auditing at any level, the folders of PCs are easily available. Tech, Ethics, Admin, it makes no difference. The folders are available.
I read all my present Husband's folders before I married him. I also read his prior Girlfriend's folders to find out if there was any good reason that I should not marry him.

I read my own folders, and vetted them.

I took my Ethics folders from Course Admin and still have them. ( Pages and pages of Commendations at the time. I'm sure that they have accumulated more damning reports since I resigned).

Fuck you, COS!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Perhaps you forgot about what was happening that lead up to the settlement. The allegations against IRS officials by the church... the 200 ongoing lawsuits against the IRS, coupled with lawsuits against the IRS and multiple federal government agencies by Scientology and over 2,000 'parishioners'? Consider the costs, the effect on tax payer monies for cases that would continue to go one and on...

Thanks.

Actually I didn't forget about the 200+ lawsuits.

I just have never seen a mega-federal agency cave in just because of annoying litigation. There are lawyers on both sides and traditionally lawyers NEVER back down and typically enjoy the jousting and heated courtroom battles. Why would they abandon a billion dollar tax liability just because Scientologists file a bunch of cookie cutter complaints?

I just haven't seen that in dealing with state and federal agencies. They are f*cking aggressive as hell, hell, hell and ESPECIALLY against any party that owes them money.

I think on this one, I'll just wait it out and see what information develops (hopefully) that explains how that scam was perpetrated.

If Scientology legally obtained that ruling, I will be utterly amazed. It's not the way Scientology works either. lol

phenomanon

Canyon
Saying he was being obsequious and in propitiation when he wrote that is tantamount to saying he was under duress.

[video=youtube;HcjX4X4l9xY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcjX4X4l9xY[/video]

Mind control is also mentioned, which, despite wrangling by cult apologists and others who don't want the idea of mind control recognized an existing condition, when added to the "in propitiation/being obsequious" explanation, make it clear that the written statement is tainted by Miscavige's and Scientology's influence.

Oh my. Marty, you give good words. I had good cognition about "obsequious and in propitiation" as description of mind control.

Then his saying that DM spoke of Marty being *upstat* because he handled the IRS deal.

Thanks for posting the vid, Veda.