What's new

Any good in scientology?

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Inside the Church, one goes with the other, sadly, and the dangers greatly outweigh the benefits.

Outside the Church, caveat emptor. There is NO quality control. There is NO evidence. There is almost no reliable anecdote, even.

I would say that your best bet to get those benefits outside the Church is to look into modern trauma psychology. Again, though, a lot of therapists are straight up bullshitters, in my experience, so you're still on your own, though you could probably at least get reliable referrals.

namaste

Silver Meritorious Patron
Scientology is a work in progress.
The "Church" of scientology is forbidden by it's moronic founder to dare make any further progress on his half-assed, unfinished, technology that he claims to be unfailable. So, I would rule that out as a place to give it a try for that reason, let alone the exorbitant prices.

If you care to try out some of the beginning/intermediate levels to see if they would work for you, I would recommed the Free Zone. All of the "good" scientology practioners have left the "church" and are there now and charge much less money for better service.

Most of all, follow your own "higher self" and let it guide you to where you need/want to go whether it be by way of scientology or another way or both.
The fact that you are even seeking and asking indicates that you are on the right path and off to a good start. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-NLlwzfOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXTZ6y1cefc

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
would it be correct to say that though dangerous, the technology has some benefits and would it be possible to just get the benefits or one does not go without the other?

Certainly not within the cult structure. The "feral" Scientologists may be able give you some benefit but its a bit like milking an adder - the venom is beneficial but the process has inherent dangers best avoided. Also, there's nothing unique about the supposed benefits of Scientology, they can all be found elsewhere. Why play with snakes when you don't have to?

Sindy

Crusader
That sort of result would be equated in scientology terms with a "floating needle". I don't think it's a placebo. It is, IMO, a very temporary result, typically between hours and a few days, with some people reporting weeks on the outside. I have experienced such a result that lasted just short of a week. While that FEELING was temporary, the insights I gained into my own character and my sensitivity towards others was radically changed.

Most people I knew in college, and in my own family, said that Scientology humanized ME, though I know that is not common perception of Scientologists. Of course, I also was a proselytizing asshole for a while, which is deeply embarrassing, but there is no doubt in my mind that I benefited greatly from my processing, though the organization damaged my life in a way that is non-recoverable.

This is a very well articulated answer. I have the exact same experience but would not have been able to express it as succinctly or descriptively. :thumbsup:

Sindy

Crusader
Thanks, I've been at this a few years. :)

Yes, I see. I have gained a lot by reading your replies. I don't want to sound too gushy but I am SO grateful this board and this group exists. This is quite an experience from which to unravel.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Me too. When I first got out, nothing like this existed. There were FreeZone boards/groups, and there was alt.religion.scientology, but trust me, the gloves were really off, there, and there was no moderation to make it nice-nice. Why We Protest has nothing on it. More like 4Chan, but with a lot of Church operatives doing anything they could to ruin it as a information channel.

The closest thing to it was alt.clearing.technology, but there was a definite scientology bias, there, as well.

I think modern escapees have a great resource, here!

Sindy

Crusader
Me too. When I first got out, nothing like this existed. There were FreeZone boards/groups, and there was alt.religion.scientology, but trust me, the gloves were really off, there, and there was no moderation to make it nice-nice. Why We Protest has nothing on it. More like 4Chan, but with a lot of Church operatives doing anything they could to ruin it as a information channel.

The closest thing to it was alt.clearing.technology, but there was a definite scientology bias, there, as well.

I guess I escaped at the best time :happydance: Thanks. I look forward to getting to know you. BTW, did you ever recount your story? If so, can you provide a link? If you want to of course. :)

Last edited:

LongTimeGone

Yes ars was bombarded by the Co$ with gibberish.
The DDOSing by the cult was like the infinite monkey theorem.

D.

namaste

Yes ars was bombarded by the Co$ with gibberish.
The DDOSing by the cult was like the infinite monkey theorem.

D.
And now they are having a hissy fit about being DDOSed a couple of years ago.
:eyeroll:

It's always been a double standard with these creeps.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I guess I escaped at the best time :happydance: Thanks. I look forward to getting to know you. BTW, did you ever recount your story? If so, can you provide a link? If you want to of course. :)

It's scattered around the board.

I'll lay the basics down quick-like.

I was on staff in Boston Day org 1989-1990. My new wife got pregnant, and I freaked because of staff pay. I left to go make an income, and gave her an ultimatum to come with me or lose me. She came. I was declared SP.

I joined the Army. I was deployed. While I was away, things changed at home, and when I came back, she was no longer my partner. She informed me she was going back to the Church to complete her contract and would talk to me again when I finished my A-E steps.

I worked on the A-E steps. I completed them three different times, and sent the paperwork uplines. Each time, they had a reason I had to do it again. Over a year passed. Finally, it seemed like everything was go. I was living with her in Boston, with the HCO Area Secretary. I was called in to ethics, and they said my appeal was denied because I was in contact with Scientologists while I did those steps. The Scientologists were my wife and children. I broke down. I left, again, and gave the ultimatum, again. This time she said no.

That was October, 1995.

I was an Independent/FreeZoner for several years, until 2000, and Caroline Letkeman's essay "The Soul Hackers". At that point, I ceased identifying as a Scientologist. I was declared. I hadn't seen my kids in years. I dilly-dallied around as a cab driver, trying to get it together.

In 2005, I finished my college degree. Changed my life. Recently, I've been reunited with my son, and it's the best thing that has happened in my life since the ex left with him and his sister. She still won't talk to me, because she feels allegiance to her mother, and considers me a deadbeat.

It's hard to take that. There's a degree of truth to it. I left them with their mother because I was Declared, and I believed for a long time that the Church was right about me. I thought I was suppressive. I thought my children were better off without me. As I got over that, I still ceased to want to interfere in their lives, because the kids were doing so well. Then, in 2008, I was critically ill. A lot of extreme measures were taken, and I survived, and against the odds, retained my consciousness and eventually regained my memory. I had horrible dreams that I was going to die without making contact with my children.

Now, I'm doing my best to be near to them and available to them. The time can never be made up. Irreparable damage may have been done.

That is my story.

LongTimeGone

It's scattered around the board.

I left them with their mother because I was Declared, and I believed for a long time that the Church was right about me. I thought I was suppressive. I thought my children were better off without me. As I got over that, I still ceased to want to interfere in their lives, because the kids were doing so well. Then, in 2008, I was critically ill. A lot of extreme measures were taken, and I survived, and against the odds, retained my consciousness and eventually regained my memory. I had horrible dreams that I was going to die without making contact with my children.

Now, I'm doing my best to be near to them and available to them. The time can never be made up. Irreparable damage may have been done.

That is my story.

Thanks for bringing we newbies up to date.
Nobody needs this sort of mess in their lives.
I smiled at the point where you thought you were suppressive.
The first thing that jumped out at me was "suppressives never think they are suppressives". :yes:
If you haven't already, I can tell you that when you meet one you will know it and they don't fool anyone who observes them for a while.
You sound like a good bloke to me.
Believe it or not, good things DO happen to good people.
D.

Atalantan

Patron with Honors
Hello everyone,

I have been interested in scientology for a little while, did some research read some books and corresponded with ex church-scientologists
There is one question (amongst many) which I believe is an important one and which I would like to share:
From an anti-scientology point of view, for example someone who has tried scientology and think that it is simply no good, is there after all something about the technology which is new or different and which really works, really embetters the person without taking anything in return, I mean improving the individual for his/her own benefit strictly without necessarily adopting a way of life or an ideal?

Thank you for helping me find an answer,
sincerely

Just get yourself the Self-Analysis book and try the exercises for yourself. You can get the book cheap on Ebay, that would be your only cost. Do the exercises daily 20-30 minutes a day for two or 3 weeks, and see if you feel better in any way or not

Warning - do not go to Church of Scientology, they are a ruthless scam looking to get your money.

Just read/study it yourself. If you know someone else who is interested, the two of you can work together reading the Self-Analysis lists to each other.

You don't need to spend any money for scientology if you do it this way.