What's new

Hello to All Who Just Watched Going Clear! :wave:

JustSheila

Crusader
4:45 am, lol! You're so endearing when you're tired, happy and rambling, though, Churchill. :biggrin:

Yah, I would have loved to have been there. Thanks, Churchill. Was everyone crying? Jesse Prince said he was on one of the comments. I know Tory would have had tears all over her face and be hugging everyone.

Yeh, the doco was a work of art. Lean, like you said, but it still covered everything. All the voices together bringing up points, yet all sequential. So much detail, yet not too much. Some music, but not too much. How the hell did he do it in 2 hours?? Some of us have spent days or weeks trying to explain Scientology to others. It's no small feat. It wasn't just explained, either - it was exposed. All in two hours. I know just what you mean, Churchill. It was well beyond my highest expectations and artfully done.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm looking forward to having Alex Gibney explain how he did it;
maybe he'll tell it in his Oscar acceptance speech next year.

all I know is that it takes all I can manage to just come up with a semi coherent post.

Gibney is a great storyteller, and look at the story he told. It was the story of all of us, our lives, our youth and its innocence lost. Holy shit, I do run on, don't I?

Purple Rain

Crusader
I thought what this documentary did better than anything I've ever seen was not only to explain concepts that are so foreign to "wogs" and so difficult to translate, but to really set the mood and the "vibe" of everything - he really put you there. I'd have to say nothing in the documentary was new to me, but I did not expect it to be. It was just superbly packaged. I was very impressed. It was hard for me to judge what the reactions of someone never exposed to Scientology would be, but there were so many devices Gibney used that I thought were so clever. I loved the typewriter device, for one thing.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Hi Purple! Look who's up with the roosters!
have you seen the film?

Indeed, I have! I had a marathon watching of Season 2 of Game of Thrones, capped off with the Going Clear documentary. It was a day of dressing gowns, dishes in the sink, and popcorn.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wonderful! I promised myself Game of Thrones the next time I do some binge watching. I haven't seen a single episode, but it looks way cool. I've got what, 5 or 6 seasons to watch?

Meanwhile, there are some hundreds of thousands of people who have and are seeing Going Clear, were shocked by its contents, and are processing what they've learned. This includes housewives, farmers, Senators and judges.

The big question is: Is this the tipping point?
has critical (no pun intended) mass been achieved?

I think it has. But now's not the time to relax.
It'll be interesting to see who makes their way out.
i expect some "Jillian Schlessinger's" to be showing up shortly,
if ya know what I mean.

bromo

Patron with Honors
I got a tear in my eye just now reading your post with your name, Len. I realize how very hard it must be for you to step out there after all the fear of fair gaming and dead agenting has loomed over the head of each of you exes. Just know that you not only have support from your brother and sister exes but also from a whole growing army of never-ins who have the same desire as many of you. We want the light shown on the reality of scientology and something to be done about it, so no one ever again has to fear speaking out. Thank you and all of you for what you have done, do now and will continue to do to bring justice to those who have been harmed by this cult.

Pam

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I just saw this :

Handy Hint: The last thing scientologists escaping scientology's cult-mindset need are lectures about how they ought to think. Just saying. :)

Panda Termint

I cannot disagree MORE . If I had the info that is critical of Hubbard and Scientology I could have straightened my life out decades ago .

The people leaving the cult deserve the truth and I do not tell them how to think - just saying that is a cheap shot .And LIE .
If you want to say " Mockingbird , I do not have identical opinions to yours and would prefer if you did not state yours " then have the courage to come out and admit you want the views that disagree with yours censored . But to pretend they are "lectures about HOW they ought to think ? "

Um , I guess I would suggest thinking with a mind ?:duh:

See , censors always need an angle or excuse to not face that they just want what they dislike silenced . So LYING about what someone does - like how Scientology handles PR - is resorted to , just saying :)

Hey , why don't you consider ME someone escaping the Scientology mindset who does not need your lecture on how I should think ?

Oh , wait for censorship to work people need to be put into categories . You , who knows better than me what I should do and others who you know better than them what they should read . Just saying .:)

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
According to Google Trends....Yesterday, Scientology was the 6th most searched word....and "going clear" related....?

Wrestle Mania...was #1.

http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends#pn=p1

I clicked on that link after you posted it and saw that "Scientology" was #6. :yes: That's funny, now it has changed, been updated, and now I get "Going Clear" for #4, which is even better (no other related terms in the trends, "Scientology" isn't there). Still referring to the results for Sunday 29th in the USA.

Well I made a snapshot now (I just enjoy that #1 search result with that special pic too much :biggrin: ):

attachment.php

Attachments

• Google trends for 2015-03-29, USA ('Going Clear' is Number 4).jpg
    Google trends for 2015-03-29, USA ('Going Clear' is Number 4).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 81

Free Being Me

Crusader
Handy Hint: The last thing scientologists escaping scientology's cult-mindset need are lectures about how they ought to think. Just saying. :)

I just saw this :

Panda Termint

I cannot disagree MORE . If I had the info that is critical of Hubbard and Scientology I could have straightened my life out decades ago .

The people leaving the cult deserve the truth and I do not tell them how to think - just saying that is a cheap shot .And LIE .
If you want to say " Mockingbird , I do not have identical opinions to yours and would prefer if you did not state yours " then have the courage to come out and admit you want the views that disagree with yours censored . But to pretend they are "lectures about HOW they ought to think ? "

Um , I guess I would suggest thinking with a mind ?:duh:

See , censors always need an angle or excuse to not face that they just want what they dislike silenced . So LYING about what someone does - like how Scientology handles PR - is resorted to , just saying :)

Hey , why don't you consider ME someone escaping the Scientology mindset who does not need your lecture on how I should think ?

Oh , wait for censorship to work people need to be put into categories . You , who knows better than me what I should do and others who you know better than them what they should read . Just saying .:)

Speaking of lecturing .... :rubeyes: You read into all that from a very perceptive statement that didn't mention any of what your straw manning? I think you're confusing posting about the toxicity of the cult vs having a meaningful conversation with someone decompressing from the cult. Two subtly different yet parallel directions.

I can post dox on Elcon's education and military career. All fine and good. Talking about it is another thing. It takes patience talking with a person who is trying to make sense of what happened to them in the cult. A nonjudgmental empathetic heart and ear. Sometimes simply listening is the best tonic. As someone who genuinely cares having faith this hypothetical person can work it out for themselves. Seeing a good therapist would be even better but there's so much indoctrination from the cult that's a tough one to overcome.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Your growing "SP" list of Ex's you ignore here says you probably don't but I wanted to try anyway. We are all on the same side so the us vs them mentality seems self-defeatist to me.

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I got a tear in my eye just now reading your post with your name, Len. I realize how very hard it must be for you to step out there after all the fear of fair gaming and dead agenting has loomed over the head of each of you exes. Just know that you not only have support from your brother and sister exes but also from a whole growing army of never-ins who have the same desire as many of you. We want the light shown on the reality of scientology and something to be done about it, so no one ever again has to fear speaking out. Thank you and all of you for what you have done, do now and will continue to do to bring justice to those who have been harmed by this cult.

Pam

Pam,

There is an aphorism by Hillel that I learned as a child, but never really understood.

In 1991, I began to understand it.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?

But if I am only for myself, who am I?

If not now, when?"

​Len

PS. It only took me 25 years to learn to type my name on the internet.
I'm what some might call a slow learner.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Going Clear had 1.7 Million views as of Sunday!
GOING CLEAR HAD 1.7 MILLION VIEWS AS OF SUNDAY!

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I'm glad you came forward, Len. I know you wanted to do it.

Sara is fascinating. I'd love to know everything in that diary.

Lots of different parts of the movie got to me, but I have to watch it again because there was a lot of start-stop action in the streaming and I missed some bits. I'd have to watch it again anyway, though. It's one of those movies that I think any of us would get even more from it the second time through. There were a lot of nuances.

Yeh, Emma went through a lot to keep his Board up and going. For years. The hugs, the smiles, the tears, the dedication. She was mum to thousands. That's huge. And she still is - but now she has a life, so some of us try to greet the Newbs and keep things going as best we can. Many of us have become good friends through this Board, too.

Was Tony Ortega's party open to everyone, or just those who worked on the movie and a few more well-known exes? How many people were there? We haven't heard much about it, with all the talk about the movie itself. I'd love to see some pics. :)

I haven't watched it yet but you guys/gals are getting me uber curious about it. I've read many accounts of members on here who have already watched it more than once.

I know what you mean when you say you have to watch it again because there was a lot of start-stop action, etc. How many times have I been watching a fast paced action sequence and I'm stumped wondering what the hell just occurred? Or later in the movie you find out that an object was surreptitiously slipped into someone's pocket and it went unnoticed. Then you rewind back to the half hour earlier segment to re-watch it in slow motion and you can vaguely notice that indeed - that one actor did sneak something into the other guy's pocket. Another thing is when a sequence of images flashes on the screen at four images/second for 10 seconds and you say "WHOA"! Slow done already. I want to see each image separately and frozen on the screen so I can examine each one". That's when I rewind and watch in slow mo.

Maybe my attention span sucks but I don't want to miss any details!

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
What an incredibly simple, yet profound statement you have made!
Disagreement stimulates thought, sharpens critical thinking and you had all better agree with me!

By the way, my name is Len Zinberg, and, to paraphrase Tom Cruise, "I consider it a privilege to call myself an Ex-Scientologist"

And I love you guys, except for Lone Star, of course.

:thumbsup: Love you, too, Len. I posted a response to your announcement which you posted on this other thread, so as to not derail this one too much :biggrin:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...STOP-BULLYING-MY-FAMILY&p=1022206#post1022206

Free Being Me

Crusader
Going Clear had 1.7 Million views as of Sunday!

Awesome isn't it? The wave of truth keeps rippling out. There are so many threads right now on ESMB about Going Clear I can't keep up. :buzzin:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I haven't watched it yet but you guys/gals are getting me uber curious about it. I've read many accounts of members on here have already watched it more than once.

I know what you mean when you say you have to watch it again because there was a lot of start-stop action, etc. How many times have I been watching a fast paced action sequence and I'm stumped wondering what the hell just occurred? Or later in the movie you find out that an object was surreptitiously slipped into someone's pocket and it went unnoticed. Then you rewind back to the half hour earlier segment to re-watch it in slow motion and you can vaguely notice that indeed - that one actor did sneak something into the other guy's pocket. Another thing is when a sequence of images flashes on the screen at four images second for 10 seconds and you say "WHOA"! Slow done already. I want to see each image separately and frozen on the screen so I can examine each one". That's when I rewind and watch in slow mo.

Maybe my attention span sucks but I don't want to miss any details!

I have found that I enjoy movies SO MUCH MORE with subtitles. I have a pet peeve that the voice sound track is usually mumbled or muffled and the music and other sounds are cranked up ridiculously high, so it is hard to understand what the actors are saying! Solution: Record everything (or have it on DVD) and put on subtitles, then you can understand everything at your own pace and stop and back up if need be.

I know, maybe it's just pending old age--lol. But watching this way really makes ALL the difference in being able to enjoy movies.

AND, I recommend watching GOING CLEAR more than once to really get everything out of it.

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have found that I enjoy movies SO MUCH MORE with subtitles. I have a pet peeve that the voice sound track is usually mumbled or muffled and the music and other sounds are cranked up ridiculously high, so it is hard to understand what the actors are saying! Solution: Record everything (or have it on DVD) and put on subtitles, then you can understand everything at your own pace and stop and back up if need be.

I know, maybe it's just pending old age--lol. But watching this way really makes ALL the difference in being able to enjoy movies.

AND, I recommend watching GOING CLEAR more than once to really get everything out of it.
I'm settling in for view #3! I usually fall asleep to Nature or Nova.. I figure why not try Going Clear!