What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dave Tidman and Mark McGrath were supes, I think Mark still might be supervising. Dave became the top HGC auditor - he was a really great auditor. I remember Mike Oakes (and his wife Lynn - not on staff), yes, he was a good looking guy. We were friends.

Sally & Ron Baker - Ron was the EO in the early 80's. Very sane man.

Chuck & Karen - yes, but their last name escapes me. Karen was very pretty wasn't she?

Stan Dubin

I think Jeannie Bogvad and her husband were there in the late 70's

Carol (HAS) & Rick Green (OES maybe?)

Bill Whitter

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Then you probably know me. I was there training and getting auditing off an on during the mid 70's. These are some of the people I knew:

Bill Franks (I liked him a lot)
Jeannie Franks (I liked her a lot too)

Did you ever see Bill dress up in Nazi gear and ride a motorcycle? Just wondering if that was witnessed by public or just a staff legend ...

Chuck and Karen? Chuck ended up in New York, joined S.O. and married Carla Bazin or Bazan, went out 2d on mission and never came back. Karen was living in Clearwater working as a full time FSM at the base in the 90's.

That would be the Richardsons.

Michael Oakes (Made me swoon. I loved to go to ethics.)

Mike was a pretty straight shooter. Frogman. No really, a diver in real life. His wife Lynne is active in the artist community in Maryland.

I loved fcdc back then. I lived at that hotel down the street run by that "colorful" couple. Hubbard had lived there at some time in the early days.

There was a guy "Joe" who ran a music shop down on Connecticut Ave., had a dance studio upstairs. Said LRH told him that all Italians are naturally clear. Bless my Italian blood; I attested to Natural Clear during the great clear rush of 1979.

DC Org did have a nice vibe off and on. It looked a bit different after pulling a few all-nighters and not having enough pay to eat regularly.

Chip

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
more names

I was on staff FCDC from c. 74-82

Names I remember:

Dave Richards - ED
Bobby Wisner
Greg Gloor
Stan Dubin

This was the executive team. Richards came from Canada I think. I missed whatever happened in 70-73, but I understand the org was quite a mess when he arrived.

Peter Letteresse
Andrea Letteresse
Glen Smoak

These were the Div 2 regges. (later Peter and Andrea left, Glen moved to Div 6). Glen was the only with any integrity as I recall. Peter was the classic sales person with no concerns about the consequences of his sales cycle. Of course, it was hard to work in Div 2 if you really cared about the consequences of your sales activities.

Jeff Kronin
Jeff Dietz
Abby Bregman (was on staff at FLAG 15 years ago)
Some blond girl

This was the Div 6 line up as I remember it. There were probably others. Abby and the blond girl were book one sellers - going out to malls and shopping centers to sell the book on the street. Heard some stories about some of the sales tactics!

Pat Purdue
Debbie Matson (later Masters)

These folks were in qual. I think Larry Masters was also in qual at one point. Hard to recall exactly.

There were a LOT of auditors in those days.

Gordon Bell (yes I remember him and his lovely wife)
Larry Masters
Carol Cappello
Bill Nichols (he was also a course supervisor at one point)
And many many others whose names I do not recall.

Rick Kimmel
Rick Bannerman
Greg Layton
Jay Armstrong

Were in Div 3. Bannerman blew. The others ended up in the GO.

Linda Purdue
Jon Mervine
Tom Clapp
Bill and Jeannie (of course)
Julie Mervine
The whole GO crew, which expanded greatly after the raid in 77
Bruce Ullman
Rick Moxon and his wife
Judy Cranford
Mike and Patsy Meisner (infamous names)

I guess this could go on and on. I kind of wish I'd been there a couple years earlier - those sounded like wild-west years based on the stories I've heard.

Best to you all.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
Does anyone recall Lee Terbush and his wife? They started a school in Northern Virginia. Lee and his wife and I started the Dianetics Life Improvement Center in the Landmark Center. It lasted only a few months.

Div6

Crusader
Does anyone recall Lee Terbush and his wife? They started a school in Northern Virginia. Lee and his wife and I started the Dianetics Life Improvement Center in the Landmark Center. It lasted only a few months.

Lee is one of the longest running Scngsts in the area....his 2 sons John and Tom...John was OSA (mebbe still is) a nasty little worm...kind of like a mini-DM.

I think Tom was HCO for a while and then went off into the Wog world....haven't heard what happened to him.

But Lee was a good guy, overall. Deluded, as we all (were, are). But at least when I was around, his heart was in the right place.....

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I was on staff FCDC from c. 74-82

Names I remember:

Dave Richards - ED
Bobby Wisner
Greg Gloor
Stan Dubin

This was the executive team. Richards came from Canada I think. I missed whatever happened in 70-73, but I understand the org was quite a mess when he arrived.

Peter Letteresse
Andrea Letteresse
Glen Smoak

These were the Div 2 regges. (later Peter and Andrea left, Glen moved to Div 6). Glen was the only with any integrity as I recall. Peter was the classic sales person with no concerns about the consequences of his sales cycle. Of course, it was hard to work in Div 2 if you really cared about the consequences of your sales activities.

Jeff Kronin
Jeff Dietz
Abby Bregman (was on staff at FLAG 15 years ago)
Some blond girl

This was the Div 6 line up as I remember it. There were probably others. Abby and the blond girl were book one sellers - going out to malls and shopping centers to sell the book on the street. Heard some stories about some of the sales tactics!

Pat Purdue
Debbie Matson (later Masters)

These folks were in qual. I think Larry Masters was also in qual at one point. Hard to recall exactly.

There were a LOT of auditors in those days.

Gordon Bell (yes I remember him and his lovely wife)
Larry Masters
Carol Cappello
Bill Nichols (he was also a course supervisor at one point)
And many many others whose names I do not recall.

Rick Kimmel
Rick Bannerman
Greg Layton
Jay Armstrong

Were in Div 3. Bannerman blew. The others ended up in the GO.

Linda Purdue
Jon Mervine
Tom Clapp
Bill and Jeannie (of course)
Julie Mervine
The whole GO crew, which expanded greatly after the raid in 77
Bruce Ullman
Rick Moxon and his wife
Judy Cranford
Mike and Patsy Meisner (infamous names)

I guess this could go on and on. I kind of wish I'd been there a couple years earlier - those sounded like wild-west years based on the stories I've heard.

Best to you all.

This is great. I wish people would add stuff like this to the appropriate page for the org in Scienowiki. :)

Paul

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
More names, extended

After I put down my pen (keyboard) after the last list I had a wave of more remembrences. If any one has any update on the whereabouts or wherefore or just any plain remembrances it would be great to hear them:

Steve Groton - Div 6 I think
Marty and Susan Sprung - Bookstore
Susan Olsen - Letter Reg
(geez, do you remember the letter regges -- all day long hand-writing letters to names in CF)
Guy Castle - CF
Billy Jones - HCO - comm dept
Joanne Ash (later married Tim Mantis, divorced and then married someone else) - receptionist
Tina Ready - auditor - married Craig Sharp
Ray Korn - auditor
Kay Elstner - CS
Mark Elstner - Sr. CS
Penny Wisner - CS - later divorced Bobby Wisner and married Herb Zerden
Herb Zerden - CS.
Patty Wisner - Bobby's sister
Maryanne _______- Div 6 - later married Stan Dubin
Jeff Drumm - HCO ? - he was recently in the front row at the Basics release. I think anyway - looked like him
Jane Condon - finance - married Greg Layton
Kathy Wiltsey - GO
Joe Alesi - GO
Jim Pearson - maybe a public. not sure if he was on staff
Judy Cranford - Div 6, GO
Tim Mantis
Bobby ______ - was a body router along with Tom Clapp
Tom Clapp has his picture in the current IMPACT magazine, BTW
Gordon ________- HCO, Comm Dept. Ran the mimeograph machine and did telexes. Former policeman - he had a big dent and scar on his forehead, the result of being hit by an ax by someone in his policeman days
Rick Miller - Div 6
Mike Baum - supervisor - became an attorney. unindicted co-conspiracer
Skip Murgatroyd - supervisor - also attorney. Works with Baum I think
Mitch Pilchuk - HCO
Bill Witter
Susan Prieur - probably not spelled correctly
Barclay Bean - auditor (I think)
I think DM's father was on lines as a public at one point
Eugene Kallman
Suzie Kallman - staff/public? -dont remember
David _______ - red hair, auditor
Ivana Burc - GO
Vanna Bonta - auditor. Has written a book and appeared in a few movies.
Bill Green - auditor. Had a band. Used to play at org events back before they were all scripted.
Carol Green - his wife. HCO
Jeb Goldberg - auditor.
Greg Doehring - tech. div.
Molly Missonis - auditor
Paul Missonis - auditor. Molly's husband. Used to see their names in the FLAG and IAS magazines.
Ty and Tina Dillard. Used to run the Arlington mission. Divorced. Ty is an FSM in LA. No word on Tina. Great couple. Always liked it when they were around the org.

I guess thats it for now. I think my lists are out, so I'll probably have to repeat later in a useless attempt to flatten them.

As an aside, does anyone remember eating at that little cafe that was in the basement of the Friends Meeting house across the street? Or is that a figment of my imagination?

Colleen K. Peltomaa

As an aside, does anyone remember eating at that little cafe that was in the basement of the Friends Meeting house across the street? Or is that a figment of my imagination?

No, but I used to go to the little french bistro and order a good hamburger tartare before going on course. There is a Starbucks that we frequented too. Steve was the Div 6 course supervisor, don't recall his last name at this moment.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Lee is one of the longest running Scngsts in the area....his 2 sons John and Tom...John was OSA (mebbe still is) a nasty little worm...kind of like a mini-DM.

I think Tom was HCO for a while and then went off into the Wog world....haven't heard what happened to him.

But Lee was a good guy, overall. Deluded, as we all (were, are). But at least when I was around, his heart was in the right place.....

I thought his wife, Joanne, was very theta. I loved the scientologists that I associated with in LA. They were less conservative than the scientology public in FCDC.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
The starbucks was not there when I was. That space was a drugstore/diner called Schwartz's. A real throwback to the 50's, but then it was only the 70's so it wasn't that far to throw back. There were a lot of hippy types still around wandering the streets but no French Bistro that I recall or could have afforded at $30 weekly stipend. (or whatever the amount was - it was very small)

Div6

Crusader
I don't recall eating in the Friends House, but the People Pickle was a hang out "back in the day". The French Bistro is where "Food for Thought" used to be. It was ordered "off limits" during the Bill Franks era.

Bill Austin - estates
Steve Groton - moved to LA
Helen Lane - (of Dianetics in Limbo fame) used to be there quite a bit.

Tina closed her Mission before the 2nd MH conference debacle and moved with her kids and dogs to Clearwater. I think I recall seeing her as an VIII comp at some point.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
After I put down my pen (keyboard) after the last list I had a wave of more remembrences. If any one has any update on the whereabouts or wherefore or just any plain remembrances it would be great to hear them:

Steve Groton - Div 6 I think
Marty and Susan Sprung - Bookstore
Susan Olsen - Letter Reg
(geez, do you remember the letter regges -- all day long hand-writing letters to names in CF)
Guy Castle - CF
Billy Jones - HCO - comm dept
Joanne Ash (later married Tim Mantis, divorced and then married someone else) - receptionist
Tina Ready - auditor - married Craig Sharp
Ray Korn - auditor
Kay Elstner - CS
Mark Elstner - Sr. CS
Penny Wisner - CS - later divorced Bobby Wisner and married Herb Zerden
Herb Zerden - CS.
Patty Wisner - Bobby's sister
Maryanne _______- Div 6 - later married Stan Dubin
Jeff Drumm - HCO ? - he was recently in the front row at the Basics release. I think anyway - looked like him
Jane Condon - finance - married Greg Layton
Kathy Wiltsey - GO
Joe Alesi - GO
Jim Pearson - maybe a public. not sure if he was on staff
Judy Cranford - Div 6, GO
Tim Mantis
Bobby ______ - was a body router along with Tom Clapp
Tom Clapp has his picture in the current IMPACT magazine, BTW
Gordon ________- HCO, Comm Dept. Ran the mimeograph machine and did telexes. Former policeman - he had a big dent and scar on his forehead, the result of being hit by an ax by someone in his policeman days
Rick Miller - Div 6
Mike Baum - supervisor - became an attorney. unindicted co-conspiracer
Skip Murgatroyd - supervisor - also attorney. Works with Baum I think
Mitch Pilchuk - HCO
Bill Witter
Susan Prieur - probably not spelled correctly
Barclay Bean - auditor (I think)
I think DM's father was on lines as a public at one point
Eugene Kallman
Suzie Kallman - staff/public? -dont remember
David _______ - red hair, auditor
Ivana Burc - GO
Vanna Bonta - auditor. Has written a book and appeared in a few movies.
Bill Green - auditor. Had a band. Used to play at org events back before they were all scripted.
Carol Green - his wife. HCO
Jeb Goldberg - auditor.
Greg Doehring - tech. div.
Molly Missonis - auditor
Paul Missonis - auditor. Molly's husband. Used to see their names in the FLAG and IAS magazines.
Ty and Tina Dillard. Used to run the Arlington mission. Divorced. Ty is an FSM in LA. No word on Tina. Great couple. Always liked it when they were around the org.

I guess thats it for now. I think my lists are out, so I'll probably have to repeat later in a useless attempt to flatten them.

Here is what I can add as updates...
Guy Castle - He may still be hiding behind a filing cabinet, just kidding.
Penny Wisner - CS - Don't know what she's doing, but still with Herb in Clearwater. See and search http://www.lermanet.com/ for an update on what Herb has been up to.
Bobby Wisner - Changed his name to Michael Wisner. I wonder why? He had a son with Penny..nice kid from what I remember. He had the unfortunate luck of being born into a Scientology family. I witnessed a bit of his childhood and it wasn't pretty, nor was his end (http://www.whyaretheydead.net/gbw/gregory.html). Bobby, I mean Michael is still hooked up to the Scientology machine. Fancies himself a scientist I hear.
Patty Wisner - Bobby's sister - In Penna. happy to be out, married to Richard Romejko and I'm sure she and he don't want to be found by the machine.
Bobby Jacobs - was a body router - Last I knew he was in Reading, Pa. but that was a long time ago. Unfortunately I was partially responsible for getting him in.
Dave Richards - In Arizona I think.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
Update

Thanks for the update.

I had no idea that Patty married Richard Romejko. Good for them. Patty always seemed lika a good person. Did not know Romejko very well.

Makes sense that Jacobs is in Reading I guess. Tim Mantis and Joanne Ash were from there also if I recall correctly.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
Yeah, I forgot about Greg Shulman and Larry Masters, I think his wife's name was Vickie.

Vickie was married to Greg Shulman. Later divorced (late 70's) and married Jimmy Pearson. It looks to me, though I dont know for sure, that she later divorced Jimmy and married Rick Moxon. I believe that Brandon Pearson was Jimmy and Vickies son. Brandon was Stacey Moxons step-brother at the time of her death. If anyone has better info on the Moxon-Pearson connection please correct me.

Long Gone

Patron with Honors
I don't recall eating in the Friends House, but the People Pickle was a hang out "back in the day". The French Bistro is where "Food for Thought" used to be. It was ordered "off limits" during the Bill Franks era.

Bill Austin - estates
Steve Groton - moved to LA
Helen Lane - (of Dianetics in Limbo fame) used to be there quite a bit.

Tina closed her Mission before the 2nd MH conference debacle and moved with her kids and dogs to Clearwater. I think I recall seeing her as an VIII comp at some point.

I remember Tony Settons in estates. There was someone else also - might have been Bill

I remember Helen also as a public. One of the VIPs.

Food for Thought. What a great place. It was banned before Franks got there - it was one of the first things I was told after routing onto staff. In hindsight, one of the glaring red flags that I should have paid attention to.

I remember People Pickle and a little sandwich shop on the corner of Florida and R - where Nora's is now I think.

Also, the Cold Duck - little bar/dive next to Food for Thought.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Long Gone Reply

Vickie was married to Greg Shulman. Later divorced (late 70's) and married Jimmy Pearson. It looks to me, though I dont know for sure, that she later divorced Jimmy and married Rick Moxon. I believe that Brandon Pearson was Jimmy and Vickies son. Brandon was Stacey Moxons step-brother at the time of her death. If anyone has better info on the Moxon-Pearson connection please correct me.

Vickie..sure did get around, and in the interest in full disclosure , so did I.... first hand knowledge here. She was and may still be a nice person. Greg was cool too, and maybe he still is. I sure would like to talk to him again and I'm sure my ex wife would also. We had some ARC with that cat as Gordon Bell used to say. Gordon liked to talk in that beatnik lingo.

It has been expressed many times and in may ways on this message board and other Scientology related message boards I have viewed recently where people are free to vent, that a lot of the people we worked with were and are very good peeps.

I think someone earlier in this thread said they wished they were on staff in the early 70's. I surely have bittersweet memories about the that period of my life and I believe, we (all ex staff from that era) probably have or had considerations about the how significant those events were when we were toiling away on 19th street; but what strikes me is, that since I have found some of the websites where ex staff have an opportunity to express themselves freely, is that our experience wasn't all that significant or different in many ways from what people are relating about recent events. The only difference may be what I perceive as conditions within the org's that became worse. I escaped right around the time EPF's and RPF's were being created.

Perhaps what I experienced was the tip of the iceberg, and even though I am still somewhat affected 36 years later, (for instance I feel a reluctance to criticize so I'm not labeled as an SP). Ok I admit it, I'm an SP.

This may give you a clue as to my "commitment" to the cause back in the day, in case you may dismiss my rantings, as those of a dilettante. I remember very "clearly" that me and Rick Bannerman were seconds away from climbing the fence in an attempt to break into the Russian Embassy, just south of FCDC, to try and ingratiate ourselves to those we believed knew the way "to save the planet." What the hell were we thinking?

Div 6, thanks for the reminders about the People Pickle, Food for Thought and the Cold Duck.

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Debbie Matson

I saw Debbie Matson mentioned several times. I knew her before she
went to the DC org back in the 70's. She started at the Connecticut
mission at that time. As I recall, I audited her on the Dianetics course.
She was an interesting character. The story reached the mission after
she had gone to DC that some guy attempted to mug her in DC while
she was on her way to or from the Org...She beat the guy up rather
severely using her pocketbook or bookbag or somesuch. Needless to
say, the mugging failed. I remember the comments at the mission...Yep,
that's Matson!

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Yeah, Debbie was a screamer when she was OES. Drove more than one auditor to escape to the Children's Org. Her brother Dave was also (briefly) on staff.

Resisting a mugger can get you killed. A Flag Rep at FCDC did that one dark night and ended up dead. She just wouldn't back down, an asset in her job no doubt but unappreciated by the criminal who accosted her. I've started a memory recall thread to pick up her name which presently is unavailable.

Div6

Crusader
Yeah, Debbie was a screamer when she was OES. Drove more than one auditor to escape to the Children's Org. Her brother Dave was also (briefly) on staff.

Resisting a mugger can get you killed. A Flag Rep at FCDC did that one dark night and ended up dead. She just wouldn't back down, an asset in her job no doubt but unappreciated by the criminal who accosted her. I've started a memory recall thread to pick up her name which presently is unavailable.

Kate Parman De Gonzalez (may be spelled differently).

I've had guns pulled on me at least 3 times in DC....managed to talk my way out of most, had to give up the wallet on one of them...

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Speaking of guns, did you ever shoot rats with George Spingler out in the alley behind 2125 "S" Street? Big cat-sized rats. They would dance in the moonlight like furry expeditors.

Thanks for the FR's name, Div VI. Now I can put that thread back in the pool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.