What's new

Information sought on causes of death

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
I didn't want to impinge on any existing threads, and apologise if I have missed any sources.

For some time I have been collecting names and details of Scientologists who have died in or out of Scientology. So far have about 500 names which divide fairly evenly between Cancer (including negligence), and Suicide (including violence and accidents). Not a very happy choice. The Golden Oldies are in a very small minority.

This search left me with the 60 or so names listed below. I would very much appreciate it if anyone can supply any further information about any of them. Particularly cause of death - for some reason the Church doesn't like to disclose this - but also OT levels and dates.

The completed lists are at https://theyshouldnothavedied.wordpress.com/ Sorry, the site is still a bit chaotic but we are getting there.

-----------------
A for James F. Aubrey, Jr., from Sacramento, CA, died on 17 September 2009. Class VI Auditor, who introduced many to The Bridge as a staff member in the 70's and early 80's, including his sister Kelli. She is now a New OT VIII.
A for Michael Adams, 49, died in 2002
A for Paul Armstrong (CosMod ... Mission of Davis), both Davis and Sacramento.
B for Catherine A. Baird departed her body on 7 May 2009. Joined September of 1992
B for Dot Bolstad
B for Eleanor Blankenship OT 8 - ?
B for Harry Bloomberg Was he Class 8?
B for Jack Becker, FCDC
B for Jim Bostrom, 44 -?
B for Michael Bonnin
B for Ray Kundel
B for Rick Bannerman, FCDC
B for Ros Bisbey, C/S Foundation, ST. HILL. UK
B for Suzanne Beals, FCDC
C for Beverly Carter, sister of Susan Todhunter - died in 1992 at age 51.
C for Dee Carson, FCDC
C for Don Cooper, FCDC
C for Gib Campion peacefully departed his body in January, 2007.
C for Ray Cross
C for Thelma Cusworth
F for Karen Fuller, OT3 -?
F for Kerri Frost, a public Scientologist at Miami Org.
F for Lauren Fafard in 2003 -?
F for Paul Friccero (sp?) was the Academy Course Admin, Stevens Creek Org, in 1989.
F for Sandra "Donnie" Fox
G for Alastair Guy was Treasury Secretary at AOSHUK
G for Chez Glickman -?
G for Mark Gale, OT VII, worked at the Scientology ranch/school/prison in New Mexico,
H for Pamela Harris (Flood, Thompson), was originally staff at Leeds Mission (U.K.).
H for Syd Holbrook
J for Claire Jeans was Qual. Sec. at Miami Org.
J for Laverne Jardine - ?
L for Cesar Lavado
M for Eric Malm died on 20 July 20th, 2009. A long-time Scientologist and Class IV auditor.
M for Paul Mace, husband of Judy Mace, died in November 1983.
M for Tom Madigan, HGC Auditor, Miami.
P for Chris Probert
P for Dan Perz, 50, died in 2003 - ?
P for Don Premarukov
P for Larry Pollock - OT8 -?
S for Andy Simson - ? in 2000
S for Carol South - ? May have been out when she died.
S for Charles Sheahan, aged 60, died 2000
S for Janice Savoie - ? in 2001
S for Julia Salmen - ?
S for Paul Schobel
S for Phil Stannard, UK
S for Suzanna Sudalnik peacefully departed her body on September 19th, 2009. In CoS 35 years.
T for Dave Tomberlin, Former Purif I/C, Auditor, Public, Miami.
T for Frank Thompson
T for Howard Thompson, was ED Leeds Mission UK
W for Daniel Wagner, 45 when he died in 2003 - ?
W for Jane Winkler, OT7 - ?
W for Jim Whyte
W for Jon Wootten FSO NOTs FESer
W for Willie Wong -
Y for Murray Youdell
Z for David Ziff, Saint Hill (pre-KSW), Snr C/S FLB and Universe Corps.

Good twin

Floater
Kerri Frost - injuries due to auto accident

Claire Jeans - throat cancer

Tom Madigan - heart attack

Dave Tomberlin - possibly drowning due to a seizure as a complication of diabetes

Frank Thompson - heart attack

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ray Kundel died in a car accident. He was on his way home from work late at night when a drunk ran a red light and smashed into his car.

Don Premarukov also died in a car accident.

Jim Whyte died hopping a freight train while drunk. He miscalculated and got hit by the train.

Paul Schobel died of renal failure after an extended illness. He had routed out of the SO on medical grounds and died in Sydney.

According to an OCMB thread, Scn Bldg at Hollywood and Cherokee, David Ziff died of cancer in 1994.

There is a thread about deaths in Scn on OCMB, another one here. Lots of names on them as people keep adding. There is also a SO Memorial site but not so many names on that.

Miss Pert

Sandra "Donnie" Fox - hyper/hypo (not sure which) thyroidism. Wouldn't take the meds because believed CoS that she could handle with vitamins and diet.

Syd Holbrook - cancer.

secretiveoldfag

Thanks for the reference. I did in fact go right through the Memorial thread on this forum and collected every scrap of information but my main interest is cause of death, and in the case of James Aubrey (and the others listed) this is the one fact not given.

Thanks to everyone who has provided information so far here and by PM.

Arthur Dent

Thanks for the reference. I did in fact go right through the Memorial thread on this forum and collected every scrap of information but my main interest is cause of death, and in the case of James Aubrey (and the others listed) this is the one fact not given.

Thanks to everyone who has provided information so far here and by PM.

Just added another one. Check the RIP/Memorial thread.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
re: Willy Wong

Received last week:
Edit Draft TOMORROW: Your Future & The State of OT with Class IX Auditor Mr. Willy Wong scneventsny to dirprnyd - 3 days agoMore Details From: scneventsny <[email protected]>Hide Add to: To Do, Calendar To: dirprnyd <[email protected]>Cc:Bcc:Date:Thu, Nov 18, 2010 9:14 amAOLA.jpg

:confused2:EP

:D generated inadvertently! :ohmy:

secretiveoldfag

Hi folks. Thank you for all your information. I have about 25-30 more names to add.

This raises a question. Even if we include all those where only their names survive, there are no more than 600 names. Say 1000 for all those I've missed.

This is all we have for all the years back to 1950. The lists no doubt emphasise suicides but even so there are very few names.

If there are 50,000 Scientologists in the US, and always have been, and they have an average life expectancy of 50 years, this means we should have on average 1000 deaths per year among active members. New ones arrive at the same rate so the number of members stays about the same, but over the period of 60 years (from Dianetics to now) very few will have survived. This is an observable fact. And this would mean that about 1000 die every year.

Conversely, 1000 deaths over 50 years is 20 per year which appropriate for a population of 1000 living on average 50 years.

No matter how you mess about with the figures, there seems to be a very marked discrepancy between the 500 or 600 people whose names we know and the alleged number of members in the "church". Have tens of thousands of members since 1950 simply vanished back into private life?

Last edited: