What's new

Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meter contract leaked

Anonycat

Crusader
The label has nothing to do with the IRS or with inurement. The label was mandated in the Court case dealing with the attempt by the FDA to condemn and confiscate e-meters on the grounds they were unlicensed medical devices. You get it largely right in your next post:

The decision in United States v. An Article or Device "Hubbard Electrometer." et al., 333 F. Supp. 357 (D.D.C. 1971), notes:

Ha, I must have been sleepy. You can strike the first 'IRS' and replace with FDA. I'm very familiar with the order to have a label, and what it must be and where on the meter. I've seen the dox for years, and even forwarded sparrow the petition to file, but thanks for having me clear that up.

Inurement is relevant, because a tax-exempt status depends on having no inurement.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Inurement is relevant, because a tax-exempt status depends on having no inurement.
No, inurement is not relevant to the E-meter or to the FDA sticker.

You are correct that indurement is relevant to tax exempt status.

But the religious exemption from FDA requirements does not depend on the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status. The religious exemption from FDA requirements depends only upon Scientology's status as a religion.

Being a religion is necessary, but by itself not sufficient, for tax exempt status for the Church of Scientology.

Lack of inurment is necessary, but my itself not sufficient, for tax exempt status for the Church of Scientology.

Inurement alone will no defeat or prevent a finding that something is a religion in the U.S. That is why lack of inurement is a separate IRS requirement for tax exempt status for religious entities.

Thus, inurement would defeat the tax exempt status of the Church of Scientology, it would not by itself necessarily defeat the Church of Scientology's status as a religion, and therefore would not necessarily by itself defeat the E-Meter's exemption from FDA requirements.

Anonycat

Crusader
No, inurement is not relevant to the E-meter or to the FDA sticker.

You are correct that indurement is relevant to tax exempt status.

But the religious exemption from FDA requirements does not depend on the Church of Scientology's tax exempt status. The religious exemption from FDA requirements depends only upon Scientology's status as a religion.

Being a religion is necessary, but by itself not sufficient, for tax exempt status for the Church of Scientology.

Lack of inurment is necessary, but my itself not sufficient, for tax exempt status for the Church of Scientology.

Inurement alone will no defeat or prevent a finding that something is a religion in the U.S. That is why lack of inurement is a separate IRS requirement for tax exempt status for religious entities.

Thus, inurement would defeat the tax exempt status of the Church of Scientology, it would not by itself necessarily defeat the Church of Scientology's status as a religion, and therefore would not necessarily by itself defeat the E-Meter's exemption from FDA requirements.

It is, like I said, required to maintain tax exempt status. I'm repeating myself, so I didn't read further than your first sentence.

CommunicatorIC

Two Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meters for price of one!

Two Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meters for price of one!

[Cue the theme from Mission Impossible.]

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ele/4800083947.html

attachment.php

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

2 New Scientology E-Meters / Mark VIII / Never used - $5000 (Los Angeles)

Buy both for the price of one.

This will remain confidential. We have inside assistance to transfer ownership and nothing will get disclosed to anyone.

We have 4 sets of Basics for $150 / set
We have ALL ACC's - never opened for $3,000
Red Vol's - $300
Green Vol's - $300
Blue Vol's - free if you buy red and green
SH Briefing Course - $200
KTL - $25
Tech Dictionaries - $12 /each
Standard hand lotion - $10 / bottle
Bronze Bust of LRH - $500
Photos of LRH framed - $100 /each
Lots more - Buy it all for $10,000

Serious inquiries only.

Start a Mission or an ORG!

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Attachments

• E-Meters.jpg
    E-Meters.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 103

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
Wait, wait, wait. I get that the new E-meter has a kill switch, what I don't understand is why.

How is this going to help keep people from leaving the church? Does Miscavige really think that the threat of losing their e-meter will be enough to keep people in line? Surely that can't be it.

What's his game plan here?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Wait, wait, wait. I get that the new E-meter has a kill switch, what I don't understand is why.

How is this going to help keep people from leaving the church? Does Miscavige really think that the threat of losing their e-meter will be enough to keep people in line? Surely that can't be it.

The purpose of the "kill switch", as far as I know, is to prevent the meter from being used in "Independent Scientology"/FreeZone auditing. It doesn't stop you from leaving Scn entirely.

Terril park

Sponsor

He dosn't want people using them in the FZ/independent
arena. They used to try and stop meter sales on E-bay.

Typical keystone kult tactics. If you look at the video of
the Lemburgers on the Israel news thread you can see a
far superior meter display bgeing used, one of many
created in the FZ.

Leland

Crusader
He dosn't want people using them in the FZ/independent
arena. They used to try and stop meter sales on E-bay.

Typical keystone kult tactics. If you look at the video of
the Lemburgers on the Israel news thread you can see a
far superior meter display bgeing used, one of many
created in the FZ.

I had meant to comment about that....IMO that video that shows the Computer Emeter dial.......and then the shot of a Cult Emeter.....IMO makes the Cult's emeter look out of date...or old....or "not up with the times...." It is another black eye for the Cult.....

From this thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...nt-Scientology-Dror-Center-Israel-Documentary

I is another thing that shows the "cult" as "out of date" and closed off from what is happening in the real world.

I am not condoning or suggesting that anyone should use a emeter at all, or to "audit" cult materials with this post.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The purpose of the "kill switch", as far as I know, is to prevent the meter from being used in "Independent Scientology"/FreeZone auditing. It doesn't stop you from leaving Scn entirely.

I wonder if there is a single FZer who wishes he had a Mark VIII Phuctum to audit with? I doubt it, I really do. I know of many who use VIIs, but wanting to use VIIIs? Surely not.

That said, it would prevent someone from selling it on eBay, even as a curiosity. But doesn't the cult (surprisingly) have a program to buy them back — and for a reasonable price —if someone leaves?

Paul

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wonder if there is a single FZer who wishes he had a Mark VIII Phuctum to audit with? I doubt it, I really do. I know of many who use VIIs, but wanting to use VIIIs? Surely not.

That said, it would prevent someone from selling it on eBay, even as a curiosity. But doesn't the cult (surprisingly) have a program to buy them back — and for a reasonable price — if someone leaves?

Paul
Did you have a look at the sellers adress ?

"L Ron Hubbard Way at Fountain Avenue" sounds a little bit suspicious to me.

ring, ring, ring
Seller: "Hello ?"
Buyer 1: "Hi, I am interested in this two E-Meters"
Seller: "Yes, you are welcome"
Buyer 1: "Are the $ 5.000,-- really for both E-Meters"
Seller: "Of course, the only thing what is necessary is a valid IAS-membership.... What was your membership number ?
Buyer 1: "38645"
Seller: "Ok, Greg, I just verified that your membership is valid. I will write now a knowledge report about your call and you will hear soon from the ethics officer. I think the $ 5.000,-- will not be enough for your sec checks. Do you have more $$$$ available ? "

5 minutes later:
ring, ring, ring
Seller: "Hello ?"
Buyer 2: ......

I mean isn´t today thursday again ?:
craigslist said:
Posted: 2 hours ago

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Did you have a look at the sellers adress ?

"L Ron Hubbard Way at Fountain Avenue" sounds a little bit suspicious to me.

I saw the map but discounted the idea that it was the seller's address. Although I used to have a box from George's General Store (at 4806 Fountain) for many years, both in and for a year or so after being in the SO.

Paul

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Isn't that the meter that turns into a brick when it's not re certed or the cult knows the member no longer had it?

CommunicatorIC

Isn't that the meter that turns into a brick when it's not re certed or the cult knows the member no longer had it?
Yes. That is presumably why the advertisement states:
This will remain confidential. We have inside assistance to transfer ownership and nothing will get disclosed to anyone.
Even if that were true, what happens after the new, presumably IS or FZ, owner has it a year? Does the "inside assistance" keep on revalidating it in perpetuity?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I bet the second it's past due for recertification, they turn it into a brick.

Cult uber touchy about ppl having meters who are exes or not in Scn. First time I wax expelled, I got told to bring in my materials, especially the meters.

(Y'all know me do you can guess whether or not I chose to comply.)

looker

Patron Meritorious
Well some savvy techy type will probably put a data recorder between the meter and the server to sniff out the certification code. There is prolly a countdown program watching the internal clock

Its probably as simple as: The server queries the users full name serial number and any recorded rock slams, number of hrs on the cans , then The server sends software updates and a calendar reset to the Fisher Price Hello Kitty Meter.

The server log can keep track of Hrs per day and abnormal reads on Solo NOTS. This info can be used to extort even more moolah from the cults devotes. I'm surprised Paranoid Davey didn't make it a 6 month mandatory recert.

ahh maybe i'm being too cynical. :)