What's new

Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meter contract leaked

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
From my understanding...
I have a few questions about the Poobah Meter: :)

1. Does it connect to the internet?

It can and, in fact, is required to for initialisation/registration.

2. If so, do you have to connect it to the internet?

For initialisation/registration/yearly extend license-registration and yearly Silver Cert maintenance checks.

3. If so, will it connect up to church servers automatically, without the user's asking it to?

I doubt it.

4. Does each meter have an electronically embedded serial number?

I would think so.

5. If all of the above are true, and the church doesn't like you, can and will they disable your meter from a distance (kill switch)?

Helena, being paranoid

I don't think so but they can undoubtedly kill it if you're no longer in good standing and are foolish enough to connect to the yearly "extend registration" site. I imagine that it will automatically cease to function if you fail to "connect up" as required within a certain time limit.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Captain David Miscavige is now the spokesperson for the Church of Scientology, Karin Pouw is off on a "project" - :whistling:

Captain Miscavige was asked to respond about the E-Meter contract leaks, in which he displayed only HE&R and stormed off into his Villa with some woman with short brown hair following him wearing a chain and ball:

original.jpg

I just can't get enough of this photo of Captain Miscavige - it just speaks green, blue and red vols of how he must be reacting right about now! "Observer" from Otrega's Blog created it...Thank you Observer. I hope you don't mind if we use it everywhere on the internet...and let's give Captain Miscavige this picture of him so it duplicates and "as ises" his beingness...LOL

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Panda,

I highly suspect item 3 answer is 'most likely'. It is certainly possible. Many software programs certainly do. Examples being anti-virus software updates, Windows updates (sometimes even if apparently turned off) and even windows errors reports(if selected to do so), Flash, Adobe,

It is purely a guess, but it would probably not do it daily but perhaps weekly or monthly and 'silently'. One way to find out would be to install Wireshark or similar software to monitor such activity. Just saying.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes, it's possible IF the meter is hooked up to the Server physically via the serial port. I don't think it's wireless. I have no information about the necessity to hook up other than for registration/licensing/update purposes but perhaps there's a newly developed "session look in" function which might easily connect it to a Server. Auditors are going to hate it if that's the case.
Scientology; anything is possible. :duh:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
I have a few questions about the Poobah Meter: :)

1. Does it connect to the internet?

2. If so, do you have to connect it to the internet?

3. If so, will it connect up to church servers automatically, without the user's asking it to?

4. Does each meter have an electronically embedded serial number?

5. If all of the above are true, and the church doesn't like you, can and will they disable your meter from a distance (kill switch)?

Helena, being paranoid
1. Yes.

2. It has to be connected to the internet once a year. First to register and yearly thereafter for the "update."

3. Unknown regarding when it is physically connected to the internet (i.e., via a computer that is connected to the internet). It cannot automatically connect to the church servers if it is not physically connected to the internet. The meter does not have wifi. The meter does not have to be connected to the internet to operate as an e-meter.

4. Yes.

5. My educated guess is yes. There is a thread on here copying and pasting information from WWP where someone looked at the software and found a "brick" command. (To "brick" an electronic device is to turn it into a brick -- i.e., inoperable, useless.) Also, if you look at the software license agreement posted above, the term is for one year, renewable. This indicates that if one does log on and "update" yearly (verify), or are rejected, the e-meter will no longer work.

My understanding is that if one does not register yearly, of such registration is rejected because one has left, been declared a SP, declared not in good standing, has a lapsed IAS membership, the meter will cease working.

It appears that if one has left, been declared a SP, declared not in good standing, has a lapsed IAS membership, AND one connects it up to the internet in the interim (i.e., during the middle of the year), then there is a good chance the meter will be rendered inoperable.

Conversely, if one has left, been declared a SP, declared not in good standing, has a lapsed IAS membership, AND DOES NOT connect it up to the internet in the interim (i.e., during the middle of the year), then it cannot be remotely rendered inoperable and one can continue to use it -- assuming CIS does not sue you for return of the meter.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Does that mean people who buy the emeter do not own the meter?
Are the COS goon squad gonna raid houses to get emeters, or are they
going to send a demand to have meters returned and then sue people
who don't return them?

...sort of like buying an ideal org building and not owning it...

...er...wait...what method of exchange is this?

CommunicatorIC

Does that mean people who buy the emeter do not own the meter?
Are the COS goon squad gonna raid houses to get emeters, or are they
going to send a demand to have meters returned and then sue people
who don't return them?
My understanding of the Purchase Agreement and Covenant of Religious Use is as follows.

Yes, you own the meter. BUT:

In the Purchase Agreement you agree to certain terms and conditions regarding use only for approved religious purposes, not to give or sell it to anyone who is not authorized by CSI to operate it, etc.; AND to return the meter for a full refund of what you paid (minus a reasonable deduction for excessive wear and tear) under certain circumstances -- e.g., you leave, are declared, determined to not be in good standing, have your certs cancelled, etc.

I'm not saying any of this is, or is not, enforceable. But if one violates the terms of the agreements, one cannot be surprised if one is sued by CSI.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Blah blah blah, who gives a flying fuck about the details. Being out 10 grand is nothing compared to what they suck out of you for donations.

The faithful will sign on the dotted line and be happy little Dave-bots, knowing how wise and clever it is to keep the SPs from getting their paws on such powerful technology via black ink on white paper. Of course these poor saps haven't a clue that they can get a better meter for around $600 any day of the week out in the wild and woolly land of wogs.

Anonycat

Crusader
Blah blah blah, who gives a flying fuck about the details. Being out 10 grand is nothing compared to what they suck out of you for donations.

The faithful will sign on the dotted line and be happy little Dave-bots, knowing how wise and clever it is to keep the SPs from getting their paws on such powerful technology via black ink on white paper. Of course these poor saps haven't a clue that they can get a better meter for around $600 any day of the week out in the wild and woolly land of wogs.

The Golden Age of Tech, The Golden Age of Knowledge, GAT II, SuperPower and the re-selling of SuperPower ... now, enter the Golden Age of IAS. They ran out of ideas to pry money out of followers, so now it's just: Give us money, "we" are the IAS. Now the only authorized meter is a remote vending machine, assuring compliance to send money that cannot ever be refunded, and has no known accounting, or verifiable purpose.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
My understanding of the Purchase Agreement and Covenant of Religious Use is as follows.

Yes, you own the meter. BUT:

In the Purchase Agreement you agree to certain terms and conditions regarding use only for approved religious purposes, not to give or sell it to anyone who is not authorized by CSI to operate it, etc.; AND to return the meter for a full refund of what you paid (minus a reasonable deduction for excessive wear and tear) under certain circumstances -- e.g., you leave, are declared, determined to not be in good standing, have your certs cancelled, etc.

I'm not saying any of this is, or is not, enforceable. But if one violates the terms of the agreements, one cannot be surprised if one is sued by CSI.

Maybe, but if that ever happened can you imagine any jury in 2014, with all the adverse publicity the CofS has had in recent years, finding in favour of them?

Teanntás

Silver Meritorious Patron
"As required by Scientology scripture and federal law, the e-meter may be used only in the ministry of Scientology religious counseling"

Will the feds move to confiscate e-meters if they are used by indies?

The Sloth

Patron with Honors
"As required by Scientology scripture and federal law, the e-meter may be used only in the ministry of Scientology religious counseling"

Lol.....wut? Seems like unnecessary entanglement and a potential 1st amendment violation.

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron

The e-meter as it is actually used would normally be considered a medical device and therefore be regulated by the FDA. Use for "religious counselling" is the loophole the CoS uses.

The key thing is that the FDA medical device regulations apply to manufacturers. The CoS, as a device manufacturer, is prohibited from marketing the e-meter for anything other than "religious" use. If they even give the appearance that they are selling it for any other purpose they could get busted, which is why you see things like the language above.

Anonycat

Crusader

This cracked me up a little - yes, the IRS-required label is not correct in the text size or placement (as to reduce fraud toward the client) and that has been ignored, as well as the requirement to notify the IRS of any restructuring, since 1993 when it was approved under duress of 100 law suits. These are two ways they maintain tax exemption.

Of course, there is also the issue of inurement. The rules originate in the language of Code Section 501(c)(3). Code Section 501(c)(3) contains the specific requirement that: [N]o part of the net earnings of [the exempt organization] inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual . . . but that's another story.

The private inurement rule and private benefit rules exist to ensure that charitable assets are preserved for the benefit of the public and not diverted to private use. This is a fundamental concept that distinguishes tax-exempt organizations from for-profits.

Back to the meter :) Yeah, so if you're not a scientologist, can you use the meter? I seriously don't think the cult wants to open that can of worms in court. The new meter that dies on you if more $ is not handed over? My gut feeling is that they won't use lawyers to enforce this. It seems to be designed to be a self-service idea gone horribly wrong, but I doubt we'll see the cult take actions against individuals. I also feel that they have made themselves insulated from good will and all forms of public service (501(c) status). Would a church have set "donations" in the tens of thousands? Would they demand cash annually so that your bogus meter device will come on when you hit the switch? Is stalking religious freedom, and a sanctified ritual?

Then, to make it even more culty, only SCIENTOLOGY can tell a client if they qualify as a scientologist. So, say you posted something unsupportive of scientology, and you get an Supressive declare issued to you. Poof, you're no longer a scientologist. I suppose that means you may not use a meter. It is a 'high crime' to SCIENTOLOGY, and it has never been tested in court, to determine if that is lawful.

Cover your heads, this shit is going to come down. It's almost as if they know that there's only a year left ... way too many balls in the air.

Anonycat

Crusader
Lol.....wut? Seems like unnecessary entanglement and a potential 1st amendment violation.

Here is part of the order issued by Judge Gesell in United States v. An Article or Device "Hubbard Electrometer." et al., 333 F. Supp. 357 (D.D.C. 1971), which forbids the Church of Scientology and all related organizations from claiming to heal using an E-Meter:

The device should bear a prominent, clearly visible notice warning that any person using it for auditing or counseling of any kind is forbidden by law to represent that there is any medical or scientific basis for believing or asserting that the device is useful in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease. It should be noted in the warning that the device has been condemned by a United States District Court for misrepresentation and misbranding under the Food and Drug laws, that use is permitted only as part of religious activity, and that the E-meter is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily functions of anyone.

Here is the actual wording on the Super Mark VII's warning label. As you can see, it does not fully comply with the judge's order:

HUBBARD ELECTROMETER MANUFACTURING

By itself, this meter does nothing. It is solely for the guide of Ministers of the Church in Confessionals and pastoral counselling. The Electrometer is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily function of anyone and is for religious use by students and Ministers of the Church of Scientology only. HUBBARD, E-METER and SCIENTOLOGY are trademarks and service marks owned by RTC and used with its permission.

Last edited:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
5. My educated guess ......

...., if one has left, been declared a SP, declared not in good standing, has a lapsed IAS membership, AND DOES NOT connect it up to the internet in the interim (i.e., during the middle of the year), then it cannot be remotely rendered inoperable and one can continue to use it -- assuming CIS does not sue you for return of the meter.

This is uneducated technical nonsene. When you look at the schematic of the Mark Ultra VIII located here:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8121676.html

you should be able to see in fig. 5A (pg. 6) that a (battery buffered) Real Time Clock (RTC) is connected to pin 23 and 24 of the computer chip (M30624FGAFP Datasheet: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/711/MITSUBISHI/M30624FGAFP.html). As you can see in Fig 5D (and fig. 5B) there is a Flash-Memory connected to the computer chip too.

Now let´s see:
You connect via internet to the "Church of Fraud" for activation of your new toy. The activation is done with the meter connected to the PC (Personal Computer). The "Church of Fraud" recognizes that it´s a new meter looks up who bought it, SP, IAS-donation etc..... and sends an OK to the meter. The built in software in the meter synchronizes the Real-Time-Clock and writes the (expiration) date/time into the Flash-Memory. Afterwards you disconnect your meter and you can use it for one year.

Everytime you power on the E-Meter it compares the actual date (taken from the battery-buffered Real Time Clock) with the expiration date stored in the Flash-Memory. If the actual date is later than the expiration date it may place a warning first to renew or immediately erase (a part of) the software stored in the Flash-Memory. Afterwards you can forget the E-meter. If it wasn´t already worthless before, now it is for sure (at least as long as nobody writes a new software for it).

If you connect within the time-frame to the "Church of Fraud" (no SP, IAS-donation paid, etc...) then the expiration date is overwritten with a new one and you can use the Meter for another year.

NO internet-connection to the Church of Fraud is necessary (not even to your local computer) to deactivate your E-meter. You only need to switch the E-Meter on, the rest is done by the built in software.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Maybe, but if that ever happened can you imagine any jury in 2014, with all the adverse publicity the CofS has had in recent years, finding in favour of them?
I can well imagine the case never getting to a jury because it is decided on summary judgment on the grounds there is no triable issue of material fact and CIS is entitled to judgment as a matter of law.

One cannot count on jury nullification if the case never gets to the jury.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Originally Posted by CommunicatorIC 5. My educated guess ......

...., if one has left, been declared a SP, declared not in good standing, has a lapsed IAS membership, AND DOES NOT connect it up to the internet in the interim (i.e., during the middle of the year), then it cannot be remotely rendered inoperable and one can continue to use it -- assuming CIS does not sue you for return of the meter.
This is uneducated technical nonsene. When you look at the schematic of the Mark Ultra VIII located here:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8121676.html

you should be able to see in fig. 5A (pg. 6) that a (battery buffered) Real Time Clock (RTC) is connected to pin 23 and 24 of the computer chip (M30624FGAFP Datasheet: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/711/MITSUBISHI/M30624FGAFP.html). As you can see in Fig 5D (and fig. 5B) there is a Flash-Memory connected to the computer chip too.

Now let´s see:
You connect via internet to the "Church of Fraud" for activation of your new toy. The activation is done with the meter connected to the PC (Personal Computer). The "Church of Fraud" recognizes that it´s a new meter looks up who bought it, SP, IAS-donation etc..... and sends an OK to the meter. The built in software in the meter synchronizes the Real-Time-Clock and writes the (expiration) date/time into the Flash-Memory. Afterwards you disconnect your meter and you can use it for one year.

Everytime you power on the E-Meter it compares the actual date (taken from the battery-buffered Real Time Clock) with the expiration date stored in the Flash-Memory. If the actual date is later than the expiration date it may place a warning first to renew or immediately erase (a part of) the software stored in the Flash-Memory. Afterwards you can forget the E-meter. If it wasn´t already worthless before, now it is for sure (at least as long as nobody writes a new software for it).

If you connect within the time-frame to the "Church of Fraud" (no SP, IAS-donation paid, etc...) then the expiration date is overwritten with a new one and you can use the Meter for another year.

NO internet-connection to the Church of Fraud is necessary (not even to your local computer) to deactivate your E-meter. You only need to switch the E-Meter on, the rest is done by the built in software.
LOL. Funny that my "uneducated technical nonsene" (sic) says the same thing you said.

Once the e-meter has been activated, it is good for a year without being hooked to the net.

Once the e-meter has been reactivated, it is good for a year without being hooked to the net.

Once a year has past since activation or last reactivation, it shuts down automatically without being hooked up to the net. Thus, a person who has left, declared SP, declared not in good standing, had his certs cancelled, etc., gets a maximum of one year of use. If he doesn't hook up in a year, the meter shuts down. If he does hook up, CSI determines he is not authorized and refuses to reactivate.

CommunicatorIC

This cracked me up a little - yes, the IRS-required label is not correct in the text size or placement (as to reduce fraud toward the client) and that has been ignored, as well as the requirement to notify the IRS of any restructuring, since 1993 when it was approved under duress of 100 law suits. These are two ways they maintain tax exemption.

Of course, there is also the issue of inurement. The rules originate in the language of Code Section 501(c)(3). Code Section 501(c)(3) contains the specific requirement that: [N]o part of the net earnings of [the exempt organization] inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual . . . but that's another story.

The private inurement rule and private benefit rules exist to ensure that charitable assets are preserved for the benefit of the public and not diverted to private use. This is a fundamental concept that distinguishes tax-exempt organizations from for-profits.

Back to the meter :) Yeah, so if you're not a scientologist, can you use the meter? I seriously don't think the cult wants to open that can of worms in court. The new meter that dies on you if more $ is not handed over? My gut feeling is that they won't use lawyers to enforce this. It seems to be designed to be a self-service idea gone horribly wrong, but I doubt we'll see the cult take actions against individuals. I also feel that they have made themselves insulated from good will and all forms of public service (501(c) status). Would a church have set "donations" in the tens of thousands? Would they demand cash annually so that your bogus meter device will come on when you hit the switch? Is stalking religious freedom, and a sanctified ritual?

Then, to make it even more culty, only SCIENTOLOGY can tell a client if they qualify as a scientologist. So, say you posted something unsupportive of scientology, and you get an Supressive declare issued to you. Poof, you're no longer a scientologist. I suppose that means you may not use a meter. It is a 'high crime' to SCIENTOLOGY, and it has never been tested in court, to determine if that is lawful.

Cover your heads, this shit is going to come down. It's almost as if they know that there's only a year left ... way too many balls in the air.
The label has nothing to do with the IRS or with inurement. The label was mandated in the Court case dealing with the attempt by the FDA to condemn and confiscate e-meters on the grounds they were unlicensed medical devices. You get it largely right in your next post:

Here is part of the order issued by Judge Gesell in United States v. An Article or Device "Hubbard Electrometer." et al., 333 F. Supp. 357 (D.D.C. 1971), which forbids the Church of Scientology and all related organizations from claiming to heal using an E-Meter:

The device should bear a prominent, clearly visible notice warning that any person using it for auditing or counseling of any kind is forbidden by law to represent that there is any medical or scientific basis for believing or asserting that the device is useful in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease. It should be noted in the warning that the device has been condemned by a United States District Court for misrepresentation and misbranding under the Food and Drug laws, that use is permitted only as part of religious activity, and that the E-meter is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily functions of anyone.

Here is the actual wording on the Super Mark VII's warning label. As you can see, it does not fully comply with the judge's order:

HUBBARD ELECTROMETER MANUFACTURING

By itself, this meter does nothing. It is solely for the guide of Ministers of the Church in Confessionals and pastoral counselling. The Electrometer is not medically or scientifically capable of improving the health or bodily function of anyone and is for religious use by students and Ministers of the Church of Scientology only. HUBBARD, E-METER and SCIENTOLOGY are trademarks and service marks owned by RTC and used with its permission.

The decision in United States v. An Article or Device "Hubbard Electrometer." et al., 333 F. Supp. 357 (D.D.C. 1971), notes:
This is an action by the United States seeking nationwide condemnation of a gadget known as an E-meter and related writings, by libel of information under the Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act, 21 U.S.C. § 301 et seq. The E-meter is claimed to be a device within the meaning of the Act. Misbranding and lack of adequate directions for use are alleged. Claimants are the Founding Church of Scientology and various individuals.

CommunicatorIC

Confirmation Scientology can and will confiscate Mark Ultra VIII E--Meter

Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meter contract leaked.

Mike has a leak of the Scientology Mark Ultra VIII E-meter Contract. Read Mike's post.

Scientology E Meter with Ball and Chain
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-e-meter-with-ball-and-chain/

Excerpts:
Confirmation the Church of Scientology can and will confiscate the Mark Ultra VIII E-Meter that one has bought and paid for. From Tony Ortega:

http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/01/sc...e-horse-doctor-of-labelle-florida/#more-14591

Not only had he been away too long from his business, but he’d also, once again, been talked into spending a large amount of money. This time, he was convinced to spend $5,000 on a new Mark Ultra VIII E-meter — the new machine that Miscavige wants every member to purchase for the new “Golden Age of Tech Phase II” technology update which he released in November.

Tired of being held up without progress on his OT levels, Lee decided to return home.

“I told them I’d be back in a month or so. But I’m not going back,” he says.

Besides his disaffection with Miscavige, Lee has more immediate concerns at home. With his business doing about half of what it was five years ago, Lee recently decided he needed to seek protection in court.

“I had to file bankruptcy. I got foreclosed on.” He has submitted a payment plan to the court to get him debt-free in five years while he carries on with his business. “The bank’s fighting it, but so far it’s working,” he says.

Then, two weeks ago, he got a surprise visit. It was a couple of ethics officers from Flag, who showed up at his house and demanded that Lee turn over the E-meter he had bought just a few months before. They handed him a check for the full amount he’d paid — a little over $5,000 — and took the machine away with them.

Had the church somehow heard that he’d decided not to go back?

“I think they were more concerned about the bankruptcy,” Lee says. “What they’re scared of is the bank might come after them.”

With so much of his money in the church, he explains, his creditors might go after Scientology to get their money back. He figures that’s why Scientology is so ready to cut off ties with him, and sent out two Masters-At-Arms to retrieve his E-meter.

Last edited: