What's new

Bill Frank's story about brainwashing (thread merge)

gwells

Here is my story about brainwashing

As you know I have tried unsuccessfully to get this posted elsewhere. I have tried also to tell this story many times since it occurred to me that it might be helpful, but it does not seem to be of interest or there is a lot of apathy out there which is certainly understandable. I retell this here as it is about the tech and I think its useful in explaining a lot of what has happened over the years.

Firstly, I swear that this is the absolute and complete truth even though it occurred 37 years ago.

Secondly, a little about me which might put things into perspective as to why I saw what I am about to say as very significant and in a way horrific.I was in the SO for a little under 14 years. I attained the "rank' of Lt. Commander through promotions only by Hubbard. I was OEC and FEBC(trained by Hubbard) , HSDC, Class nine when I left in December 27 1981, as well as DSEC, Nots auditor, plus assorted other stuff. I was OT five plus nots, plus sec checked up the wazoo over the years. I also audited between 3-4000 hours conservatively speaking-probably much more, a lot of this was under Hub as the C/S. I spent about 3 1/2 years working with Hubbard pretty directly on the ship at various posts.I got to know him as well as anybody did.
My last position was Chairman of the Board and ED Int both by directive of LRH personally.

OK

Thirdly and to the point of all this preamble, on one night in 1974 I found myself in David mayo's office in the tween decks of the Apollo.
It was very late or early in the morning. We were ,I believe in the port of Safi, Morrocco. A student of mine, I was currently D of T and Mayo was Flag Snr C/S, had blown. Hubbard was extremely angry with us due to this blown student of mine on the FEBC program. In an attempt to show Hubbard what we had done to handle this guy we collected up all the sec checking that he had received over the last 2 months, it had been a lot poor guy, and presented it to him along with an outline of this student's progress on the courses he had taken. We had also wanted to show him how we had been careful that he hadn't gone by misunderstoods, etc.

We waited and waited and about 0300 hrs a messenger came down with a Despatch written by LRH. My memory does not recall any folders being returned. The despatch was entitled Very Confidential underlined. "He went onto say that if you or Franks ever reveal any of this information that I am about to reveal, the consequences will be severe for SCN."
He then wrote" a person does not blow due Overts or Witholds. He blows only due to ARC BKs".
"However, If any of this information ever became public,I would lose all control of the orgs and eventually Scientology as a whole".signed "LRH"
Both Mayo and me looked at one another completely incredulously. I cannot speak for Dave but I was completely flabbergasted as I realized at that point of digestion that he is talking about something that 75-80% of the tech is premised upon. Furthermore, the OEC/FEBC was currently anchored by the latest" development" at the time -being the L's, L-10,11, & 12.which for tose who don't know is about OW's. I don't believe Mayo or I talked about this again until we were out where I saw him at his auditing facility in Montecito, California in 1983. I believed we were a bit shell shocked about this.
As for me, I began to see more and more that scientology was merely a big prison camp. I stayed in for another 7 plus years but I was always mindful of this and always had in mind changing this "tech". I believe it is the key to what we have all seen and experienced as brainwashing.

That is all. I hope someone who want to use this will do so as there is no doubt that there is good in the tech it is just a matter of where is it.
How do you sort out the good and the bad and at the same time keep the good without throwing out the baby with the bath water.
I regret that I could not fix this during my tenure.

Best, wogman Bill Franks

Last edited:
Here is my story about brainwashing. As you know I have tried unsuccessfully to get this posted elsewhere. I have tried also to tell this story many times since it occurred to me that it might be helpful, but it does not seem to be of interest or there is a lot of apathy out there which is certainly understandable. I retell this here as it is about the tech and I think its useful in explaining a lot of what has happened over the years.

Firstly, I swear that this is the absolute and complete truth even though it occurred 37 years ago.

Secondly, a little about me which might put things into perspective as to why I saw what I am about to say as very significant and in a way horrific.I was in the SO for a little under 14 years. I attained the "rank' of Lt. Commander through promotions only by Hubbard. I was OEC and FEBC(trained by Hubbard) , HSDC, Class nine when I left in December 27 1981, as well as DSEC, Nots auditor, plus assorted other stuff. I was OT five plus nots, plus sec checked up the wazoo over the years. I also audited between 3-4000 hours conservatively speaking-probably much more, a lot of this was under Hub as the C/S. I spent about 3 1/2 years working with Hubbard pretty directly on the ship at various posts.Ii got to know him as well as anybody did.
My last position was Chairman of the Board and ED Int both by directive of LRH personally.

OK

Thirdly and to the point of all this preamble, on one night in 1974 I found myself in David mayo's office in the tween decks of the Apollo.
It was very late or early in the morning. We were ,i believe in the port of Safi, Morrocco. A student of mine, I was currently D of T and Mayo was Flag Snr C/S, had blown. Hubbard was extremely angry with us due to this blown student of mine on the FEBC program. In an attempt to show Hubbard what we had done to handle this guy we collected up all the sec checking that he had received over the last 2 months, it had been a lot poor guy, and presented it to him along with an outline ofthis studen't progress on the courses he had taken. We had also wanted to show him how we had been careful that he hadn't gone by misunderstoods, etc.

We waited and waited and about 0300 hrs a messenger came down with a Despatch written by LRH. My memory does not recall any folders being returned. The despatch was entitled Very Confidential underlined. "He went onto say that if you or Franks ever reveal any of this information that I am about to reveal, the consequences will be severe for SCN."
He then wrote" a person does not blow due Overts or Witholds. He blows only due to ARC BKs".
"However, If any of this information ever became public,I would lose all control of the orgs and eventually Scientology as a whole".signed "LRH"
Both Mayo and me looked at one another completely incredulously. I cannot speak for Dave but I was completely flabbergasted as I realized at that point of digestion that he is talking about something that 75-80% of the tech is premised upon. Furthermore, the OEC/FEBC was currently anchored by the latest" developpment" at the time -being the L's, L-10,11, & 12.which for tose who don't know is about OW's. I don't believe Mayo or I talked about this again until we were out where I saw him at his auditing facility in Montecito, California in 1983. I believed we were a bit shell shocked about this.
As for me, I began to see more and more that scientology was merely a big prison camp. I stayed in for another 7 plus years but I was always mindful of this and always had in mind changing this "tech". I believe it is the key to what we have all seen and experienced as brainwashing.

That is all. I hope someone who want to use this will do so as there is no doubt that there is good in the tech it is just a matter of where is it.
How do you sort out the good and the bad and at the same time keep the good without throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Best, wogman Bill Franks

Thanks for the story & the insights it provides.

Mark A. Baker
p.s. Welcome to the board, Bill.

Mystic

Crusader
The Hubbard-thing was an artificially conjured being and as such couldn't tell his hole from an ass in the ground.

Bill Frank's story about brainwashing​

Here is my story about brainwashing. As you know I have tried unsuccessfully to get this posted elsewhere. I have tried also to tell this story many times since it occurred to me that it might be helpful, but it does not seem to be of interest or there is a lot of apathy out there which is certainly understandable. I retell this here as it is about the tech and I think its useful in explaining a lot of what has happened over the years.

Secondly, a little about me which might put things into perspective as to why I saw what I am about to say as very significant and in a way horrific.I was in the SO for a little under 14 years. I attained the "rank' of Lt. Commander through promotions only by Hubbard. I was OEC and FEBC(trained by Hubbard) , HSDC, Class nine when I left in December 27 1981, as well as DSEC, Nots auditor, plus assorted other stuff. I was OT five plus nots, plus sec checked up the wazoo over the years. I also audited between 3-4000 hours conservatively speaking-probably much more, a lot of this was under Hub as the C/S. I spent about 3 1/2 years working with Hubbard pretty directly on the ship at various posts.Ii got to know him as well as anybody did.

OK

It was very late or early in the morning. We were ,i believe in the port of Safi, Morrocco. A student of mine, I was currently D of T and Mayo was Flag Snr C/S, had blown. Hubbard was extremely angry with us due to this blown student of mine on the FEBC program. In an attempt to show Hubbard what we had done to handle this guy we collected up all the sec checking that he had received over the last 2 months, it had been a lot poor guy, and presented it to him along with an outline ofthis studen't progress on the courses he had taken. We had also wanted to show him how we had been careful that he hadn't gone by misunderstoods, etc.

Both Mayo and me looked at one another completely incredulously. I cannot speak for Dave but I was completely flabbergasted as I realized at that point of digestion that he is talking about something that 75-80% of the tech is premised upon. Furthermore, the OEC/FEBC was currently anchored by the latest" developpment" at the time -being the L's, L-10,11, & 12.which for tose who don't know is about OW's. I don't believe Mayo or I talked about this again until we were out where I saw him at his auditing facility in Montecito, California in 1983. I believed we were a bit shell shocked about this.

How do you sort out the good and the bad and at the same time keep the good without throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Best, wogman Bill Franks

I love it, the story,the truth. Thank you. Welcome to ESMB. Please stay. I bet you have lots of stories. I certainly, would like to hear them.

Personally speaking, I have not seen any real value come from the Ls, and I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for OT3. I use pretty much everything OT1 and below plus entity handling and a variety of other influences.

Feral

Rogue male
Does anyone know anything more about this?

Yeah, a bit;this follows from an interesting FB conversation that Robyn Scott and Bill had with two indies.

I was about to write to Bill to ask for this info so I'm glad it came up here.

I don't know if Gwells is Bill or a third person.

But thanks Bill and/or Gwells, very interesting story.!

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Yep, that about explains it. God.

LongTimeGone

Silver Meritorious Patron

OK

Best, wogman Bill Franks

Very interesting and, when you think about it, it's obvious.

I guess we were all ARC broken when we left the cult, but being that we were still fresh from the indoctrination, we looked for our O/W's - I know I did. I thought OK, I'd stuffed up here and there but no rabid SP stuff.

Later, after a few years away from the crap, I realised that I had a lot of disagreements with the Tech and the organisation. Was that a break in reality? It sure was.

Why Hubbard would point this out and potentially weaken his position of power though, is not so obvious.

Thanks for your post.

LTG

freet43

Patron with Honors
Welcome Bill (gwells?)

Now, I do think WAY too much has been put on the average Scn about OWs - for example the sec checking ad infinitem.

However, there is a an observable relationship between OWs and ARC Xs (and not just cuz Hubbard said so....)

That said, I think there are many reasons why someone would want to leave a group other than OWs, including simply finding out that the group is not what they claim to be.

Thanks for sharing this!

Marina

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Posted by gwells

snipped

Thanks for this gwells ... if true it proves that Tubs knew all along that he was just a conman.

I believe people leave when they mature enough and have the courage to regain the ability to think for themselves (I no longer use the jargon unless no other word will do).

I don't give a toss why Tubs thought people left.

Welcome to ESMB, I hope you stay.

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

TR'SIN

Patron with Honors
That was pretty interesting. :welcome:

I hope you stick around and share; gwells or Bill or whoever is posting. Please pull up a chair and allow your tenure to help fill in the blanks where others have spoken for you or about you or whatever.:hattip:

This could be fun. Glad to have you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

OK

Best, wogman Bill Franks

Okay, gwells...Welcome to ESMB.:yes:

Your story is BS and it's late at night and I'm going to bed and will pick this post apart tomorrow. Nice try, though. :thumbsup:

You see, gwells, I knew Franks, Mayo and El Ron personally. And, I was Flag Crew in "74 and in Senior Management. So, if your are in fact Bill Franks, then I'm gonna ask you a few questions on this thread that only Bill, or someone that was real, real close to him, would know the correct answer to.:coolwink:

Good night...talk to you in the morning.:ohmy:

Face:)

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think gwells is another person posting something written by Bill, Mark.
Is there more to this, g?

Well, welcome to the board anyway!

Lots of people show up here unexpectedly. Everyone who was ever in Scn has a piece to the puzzle and it is good to hear from them.

It is very true that all this sec checking is a control mechanism. It is good to hear that LRH actually admitted it, even if it was "highly confidential".

Bill, do you have any more interesting tit bits you'd like to share?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I think gwells is another person posting something written by Bill, Mark.
Is there more to this, g?

I think this post is not by Bill Franks and that the last think Bill Franks would want is to be involved in anything scientology. The OP posted this on 3 separate threads with 3 variations in the title. Looks like spam to me.

Pls read the below:

Bill Franks to Dresher (from Lisa case)
Subject: Bill Franks to Dresher (from Lisa case)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:14:09 -0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Dresher & Dreshery P.C.

23679 Calabasas Road
PMB 338
Calabasas, California 91302 - IS02

I

Dear Mr. Dresher, 23 May 02

Thank you for your letter, I appreciate the opportunity to correct some of the assumptions that you have made.

Firstly, you have thrown me into the category of anti-scientologist. I am not and have never been. I believe that Gerry Armstrong and others have made 2 life's career out of being an ex-scientologist. That does not apply to me and ample time has passed to prove my point. Since being asked to leave the church in late December of 1519 1 have made it a point., with an exception in the Christofferson case in Oregon in 85, to get on with things.

Since receiving the subpoena, I have done a little research as to who my predecessors were and find the names of Hana Eltringham Whitfield and Jesse Prince. Both these two have made a living at being ex scientologists. I have tried to stay away from anything that smells of such a "jihad".

Secondly, you are right in that I was served a subpoena, but you are wrong in saying that there was any "subterfuge" in this event. I was entrapped you might say and did not play any game so indicated. Factually, over the years, I have found myself coming to the Tampa/Clearwater area on business many many times- Your employers no doubt can vouch for this as about four years ago they chased me out of a public park opposite the Sand castle in Clearwater while sitting on the park bench making business calls.. Furthermore, when I received this subpoena, I was not a little pissed off and immediately drove to Dandees office to demand an explanation. As far as Greenway goes, I was discussing some real estate, or that is why I went to the restaurant I met her through Peter Alexander who I know you guys have a thing for, but believe me; It had no connection to whatever he is into.

Mr. Drescher, when Scientology and I parted ways twenty some odd years ago, a decision was made by me to go in a decidedly opposite direction. Consequently, I have limited my associations to people of non-scientology backgrounds. I do not have an ax to grind and do not want to be around those who do.

Finally, the subpoena was a surprise and indeed, I felt that I had been entrapped.

Suggestions that I am a party to this hearing that you mention or the Liebreich case- are far from the truth.

Ten years or so ago, I was subpoenaed in another one of these wacky suits.

I believe it was against the church and also Miscavage personally. Bent Corydon had me subpoenaed and I was advised that there was no legal remedy other than showing up. So I did indeed show at the depositions, however, my behavior and actions at the sessions, adequately displayed what I thought of the suits and the chicanery that got me into that situation of forcibly having to testify. So, Mr. Drescher, in twenty-one years I have avoided this kind of activity, with the above noted exception, why would I want to get into this now. You guys have proved the point that it is a loser to go against you in court or otherwise. Plus, I have no personal interest in it-absolutely none.

Thus I was not pulling your chain in my April note. Evidently, Dandar was telegraphing what he had in mind and had yet actually done- Furthermore., I have been so out of the church activities I do not know why I have been ordered to participate in this and I can't imagine what I could bring to the party.

When I received this subpoena I eventually got some legal advice other than ken Dandaft. I have been advised that I am now under court order. Since I have been doing business in Florida and have for some time I come down there with some frequency.

Do you have any suggestions? My indifference to this kind of movement against the church has been expressed dramatically over the years with my silence. I do not want to be involved.

This threat of yours just gives me another problem on top of the other one that Dandar has presented me with. I know you won't do it, but why don't you just throw some money at this thing and make it go away so that we can get back to better things. I am sorry for this young woman's fate, but there is no way that the church killed her or participated in her death. I don't know much about this case but I wonder why someone would try to pull me into such a case when I know that standard church procedure, as I knew it, would not have allowed this to happen. And that is all that I would have to say pertinent to this matter.

Bill Franks

P.S. I hope that the address label on your envelope to me is not indicative that I have made it to your mailing list.

www.lisamcpherson.org
http://www.holysmoke.org/lm/lm249.htm

ps: One can confirm with Bill Franks by contacting him through Facebook. He and his wife have Rinder as a friend. I may be wrong about him not wanting contact with anything scientology, now that I have seen facebook, but I still doubt he wrote this post and the 2 other identical ones with varying titles. He would just post it at Marty's blog if it really happened.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Bill-Franks/100001929720618

Last edited:

Mystic

Crusader
If it was uttered by Hubbard, it was intended to control you. The Hubbard-thing had no higher purpose.