What's new

OMG! Marty Rathbun's Letter to TC's Lawyer!!

Div6

Crusader
Sorry, but that's just wrong.

Lawyers who are contracted (on retainer) to attend to particular matters certainly can and will originate communications about it on behalf of their clients as they are contracted to do so.

Eben Moglen who represents the Free Software Foundation does it all the time (sends letters to suspected GPL violators).

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.

I think we are arguing definitions here. In the above example, to me, that is a relay (he has a client and is on retainer). No client, no retainer....then it would be an origination.

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Hey, I think this is a GREAT development!

Wanna break up a mafia crime syndicate? Yer gonna need to make a deal with mass-murderer Sammy The Bull Gravano if you wanna take down John "The Teflon Don" Gotti. That's just how it goes down.

Doesn't sit right with the wives and children of all the murder victims that Sammy whacked. Bitter pill to swallow to give him immunity and a witness protection deal after a mild slap on the wrist.

But to win a war there are COMPROMISES.

Hey, World War II. Didya know that the Russians took 40,000,000 mortalities fighting the Nazis on the Eastern front. That was a good deal for the Americans & British fighting forces, wasn't it? So what that Stalin masterminded ten million deaths in his terror-filled Great Purge? It was not related to the Allied fight against the Nazis, so it was put aside for practical reasons.

If the US/British had stood "on principal" to not cooperate with the Russian's then 40 million more deaths may have been visited upon American and English troops. "Better them than us!" may be a good policy in war to follow when death is at your door.

So, what the hell difference does it make AT THIS POINT IN TIME who did what to whom? Even if Rathbun is a mini-DM with even worse designs and methods for the CoS; even if Tom Cruise is a rapist and serial wife beater and has gleefully participated in beatings and torture of Sea Org members for fun with DM....so what?

Give it some time to ferment a bit. Let it start to bubble and then see what shocking new revelations they choke out of one another. This is like a free sec check on the players that never let themselves be sec checked. They will be blowing the whistle on each other like rush hour at an implant station. Let 'em! It's fun and informative for the world.

Let OSA get completely overwhelmed investigating and "handling" enemies on every side, in the apartment upstairs and looking for listening devices in their e-meters. Let the CoS resources be scattered and wasted on all these family feuds. I think it's Hillbilly-Heaven!

Isn't that how we got Tommy Davis to spill his guts (under terrorizing pressure) that it was a regular occurrence for Sea Org Execs to throw down beatings on other top execs? He didn't just VOLUNTEER this info. It only came out when he was besieged by unpredicted revelations of disgruntled ex S.O. That is Rathbun's hat in this. So more power to him!

I am more than satisfied to let a lot of stuff slide for the time being...it will all come out eventually, don't worry about the injustices that may be temporarily "set aside".

To watch a great beast like a dinosaur or the monstrosity that is the Church Of Scientology be slayed is an ugly, ugly series of incapacitations. Animals go down in stages, in sickening thuds and terror-filled moments. That's how the CoS will go down...in hideous segments.

I love watching the internecine bloodfest that is shaping up. A veritable tableau of public relation's carnage. Who cares who the hangman or the accusers or the guilty are. They are all part of the same charade, only in varying degrees.

Let the CoS re-dedicate tens of millions to fighting for DM's safety while Cruise pathetically attempts to stop the inexorable leak of truth about who he really is come out. Let Hollywood super-attorneys and agents get an ice-cold "overboarding" when they even think about signing another Scientology actor. Let 'em have at each other! It's good when Crips and Bloods fight each other on their own turf...better than if they both join forces and come to a Starbucks while I am trying to read a book over a double espresso.

Let all them boys start to fight for the lifeboat. This is "musical chairs" played out sine Bohemian Rhapsody with a star-studded cast. I am thrilled that Rathbun sparked it cuz, in the words of Fat Clemenza (from the Godfather) after Michael Corleone asks him how bad the war between the 5 New York Families is going to be:

Clemenza: "Pretty goddam bad. Probably all the other Families will line up against us. That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble."

Rathbun is cool with me. If he is not cool it'll get handled later. I like him cuz he is making this whole atrocity called the Church of Scientology go to the mattresses.(*)

(*) "go to the mattresses" expression describing mafia soldiers renting out apartments and filling them with mattresses for their hired killers to sleep in during a mafia war.

A really great viewpoint and nicely written!:thumbsup:

Terril park

Sponsor
Well, yes.. But we're dealing with Scientology.. I think they might do it that way.. Recall that Scientology has the only justice system in this sector of the universe that actualkly works, and that the WOG justice system is irresponsibly insane and supressive. Scientologists are adviced to never use or trust it, indeed it's a High Crime to report any matter to the WOG justice system.

So why does Tom have his own high profile private attorney?

If scientology acts like I suspect, Tom has the opportunity to make a mighty stink if he so wishes. But he is a true believer in CoS justice it would seem.. Meaning he'll accept it.

:yes:

He's probably in the position of having to publicly state he is distancing
himself from Miscavige, or having to be seen as endorsing his abuse. I suspect this will start hitting the media big time if it hasn't already.
Nice work Marty!

If anyone were to sue re Marty posting his letter it will definitely be
big news.

Terril park

Sponsor
^^^This!

I'm not sure everyone is getting how brilliant this letter actually is.

Bert is required to show it to Tom-all of it- or he is in violation of his ethics. He is required to show it particularly because Marty is implying wrongdoing on TC's part. There may be in fact no "physical" abuse of any kind, Marty has left himself leeway on that point. But that is why Bert has to show it to him.

Marty has made it so the links and the accusations against DM have to get to TC. Even were Bert not to give it to him it now will be enough in the media that he will be questioned on it. If TC reads this stuff and understands and leaves, well then we are truly at the endgame.
DM's main support is undercut.

He says he has protected him I think to give him an out and to say clearly you are not my target. Plus which if he was his auditor, there are certain things he cannot say or do, that would be conflict of interest.

IMO, Marty has done this brilliantly from a PR point of view. He may have some legal exposure but he is gambling that he will not be sued under the circumstances. And what people don't get is he is risking himself to take down DM and by extension the church.

He has said he is not looking to step in after the fall. Whether or not that is true, what he is doing is mortally wounding the CoS as a whole and I for one am grateful. :happydance:

Good post!

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
Whether Rathburn goes in riding a white horse or not doesn't make any difference.
It's the shakeout that's important.
What is so gratifying here is being able to watch the plays...this is great!
Really fun!
No matter how this comes down, Slappy either takes a direct hit or receives another flesh wound.
"Incoming!!!" :omg:

It will be interesting to see if the most litigious cult in the history of the world calls Rathbun out on this and his other accusations. I doubt they will regarding anything to do with Miscavige's personal abuses, but I'm pretty sure they'll be looking for some other way to "teach him a lesson".

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
It will be interesting to see if the most litigious cult in the history of the world calls Rathbun out on this and his other accusations. I doubt they will regarding anything to do with Miscavige's personal abuses, but I'm pretty sure they'll be looking for some other way to "teach him a lesson".

Has he got a dog?

Wisened One

Crusader
I can't image Miscavige ordering or sending anything out on Cruise's behalf without first consulting Cruise. The last thing Miscavige needs right now is to piss off the few supporters he has left. If I had to guess, I think Cruise is doing what ever he can to help his friend and "best man" control the flood of negative PR that his repeated abusive behavior has caused himself and the cult.

BINGO.

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors

After doing the SP Times interview, he has absolutely nothing to lose.
In business, there's two types that can be potentially dangerous if they are so inclined:

The very powerful who can crush you through whatever means money can buy.
The man who has nothing; he really can't be hurt.

It's the shortsighted mistake that Slappy has made; he leaves them in the latter position yet fully armed and with every justification to strike back. It's a miscalculation that will lead to his downfall.

And don't forget Rinder is out there...I think he's "shock and awe" waiting in the sidelines.

skydog

Patron Meritorious
^^^This!

I'm not sure everyone is getting how brilliant this letter actually is.

Bert is required to show it to Tom-all of it- or he is in violation of his ethics. He is required to show it particularly because Marty is implying wrongdoing on TC's part. There may be in fact no "physical" abuse of any kind, Marty has left himself leeway on that point. But that is why Bert has to show it to him.

The letter is brilliant for another reason. If attorney Fields represents the church of scientology in any capacity, Rathburn has put him on notice of a potential conflict of interest. Rule 1.7 et seq. Boiled down to its essence, the rules prohibit a lawyer from serving two masters in most cases.

The rules of professional conduct are wholly devoid of scientology ethics. Fields cannot eschew the conflict by claiming the "greatest good". Cruise's personal legal interests outweigh any third dynamic interest the church has. After all, the Rules of Professional Conduct were authored by the evil psychiatrists.

everfree

Patron Meritorious
Wow!

So we have public confirmation that DM was lying about Marty being an auditor, that's pretty awesome itself.

We have an implication that Tom Cruise is actually Tom Bruise (yes, I went there) and abusive himself but with the assurance that Marty isn't really going after Tom.

Marty also tries to make sure that Tom Bruise (ok, I'll stop calling him that until such a time that there is confirmation that he actually hit anyone) gets a chance to see the allegations against DM by providing links in his response to Tom's attorney.

Wow, just wow. Where's the popcorn, this is getting good!

After doing the SP Times interview, he has absolutely nothing to lose.
In business, there's two types that can be potentially dangerous if they are so inclined:

The very powerful who can crush you through whatever means money can buy.
The man who has nothing; he really can't be hurt.

It's the shortsighted mistake that Slappy has made; he leaves them in the latter position yet fully armed and with every justification to strike back. It's a miscalculation that will lead to his downfall.

And don't forget Rinder is out there...I think he's "shock and awe" waiting in the sidelines.

The problem I see is Rinder has everything to lose and nothing to gain by coming out and speaking again Miscavige. Knowing the way the cult operates they probably have enough documentation on Rinder to send him to prison right along side Miscavige, you don't hold a position like that for as long as he did and remain clean. It's my understanding Rinder comes from a wealthy family and does not need to prey on people in the cult business for a living, where as Marty on the other hand is in his mid-50s and has no other marketable skills other than implanting people with false memories and brainwashing them for profit, he need gullible Sceintologists to believe Miscavige rather than Hubbard is the problem to make a living. I don't trust anyone who makes money off of Hubbard's abusive con game.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
So why does Tom have his own high profile private attorney?
Ok.. I 'assumed' that his atty was a flaming scientologist, or that OSA/DM had him 'under control'.. That's what I'd expect from CoS..

Maybe Tom disregards Hubbards warnings about the WOG justice system?

He's probably in the position of having to publicly state he is distancing himself from Miscavige, or having to be seen as endorsing his abuse. I suspect this will start hitting the media big time if it hasn't already. <snip>
That sounds likely with a high degree of certainty.. But that way to look at this is a PR viewpoint.. And TC's PR is CoS.. I think..

:yes:

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
The problem I see is Rinder has everything to lose and nothing to gain by coming out and speaking again Miscavige. Knowing the way the cult operates they probably have enough documentation on Rinder to send him to prison right along side Miscavige, you don't hold a position like that for as long as he did and remain clean. It's my understanding Rinder comes from a wealthy family and does not need to prey on people in the cult business for a living, where as Marty on the other hand is in his mid-50s and has no other marketable skills other than implanting people with false memories and brainwashing them for profit, he need gullible Sceintologists to believe Miscavige rather than Hubbard is the problem to make a living. I don't trust anyone who makes money off of Hubbard's abusive con game.

I stand corrected. You're right about the probable crimes he's been involved with...unless he cut a deal with the prosecutors to turn state witness.
But then when one considers he comes from money, if that's true, he is better off to stay cloaked and out of the way.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
His publicist since November 2005 is Paul Bloch. Not a Scientologist, as far as I know.

Paul
Yes.. I remember now.. The 'firing' of his sister was a bit of news..

Heh.. The plot thickens! - I'm thinking.. If his atty isn't a piece of furniture in the OSA office... And his PR is independent too...

A very volatile situation.. Tom will be PTS when either his atty or publicist gives him some sensible advice.

:thumbsup:

Ok.. I 'assumed' that his atty was a flaming scientologist, or that OSA/DM had him 'under control'.. That's what I'd expect from CoS..

That's a mighty big assumption. He may be but it doesn't follow from his professional associations. Wealthy people with complex business & legal interests tend to hire highly qualified professionals to advise them. Religion is not typically at the top of their selection criteria.

Maybe Tom disregards Hubbards warnings about the WOG justice system?

As a thrice-married multi-millionaire & prominent public figure with extensive interests in the exceedingly complicated entertainment business he'd be a d@mned fool not to.

Mark A. Baker

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Yes.. I remember now.. The 'firing' of his sister was a bit of news..

Heh.. The plot thickens! - I'm thinking.. If his atty isn't a piece of furniture in the OSA office... And his PR is independent too...

A very volatile situation.. Tom will be PTS when either his atty or publicist gives him some sensible advice.

:thumbsup:

Bert Fields is a famous (entertainment) lawyer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertram_Fields

The rest of the play is just smoke and mirrors.

Zinj