What's new

Is Scientology technological Buddhism? So says Marty.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
There is a disucssion on this today, Marty says:
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/scientologys-new-international-spokesperson/#comments

martyrathbun09 | October 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm |

I think Professor Frank Flynn got it right in the seventies: Scientology is technological Buddhism.

There are too many comments to paste in here, you'll have to wade through them, sorry. Here's one:

Kassapa | October 27, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

George,
As a fellow Buddhist, as well as a Scientologist, let me clear up for you a huge misunderstanding people have about Gotama’s doctrine of no-self. The “self” that one gets rid of in Buddhism is not the thetan as an awareness-of-awareness unit. It is all the valences, both self-created and otherwise accumulated, that Scientology addresses and removes. If Gotama were alive today as a human being, he would become a Scientologist in a heartbeat. The only reason he avoided the issue of personal survival after body death was to force his followers to confront and as-is their dependence on whatever valence they had chosen to wear. In this lifetime, my own enlightenment experience came after 3 weeks of continuous, obsessive concentration on the following koan: “How could existence possibly exist? How could existence possibly not exist? How could I possibly exist? How could I possibly not exist?” The explosive, life-changing experience that resulted from this meditation fully answered those questions, and DID include personal spiritual immortality. Nibanna means cessation, but what ceases is not one’s personal existence, but one’s creation of the false selves (valences) that comprise one’s case. This may not be stated in the Pali Canon you quote, but that canon was not written by Gotama, as India had no written language at that time. The Canon was passed on by word of mouth for several generations before being written down, which was long enough for it to be altered. Also, your Theraveda school, while entirely valid, is based only on Gotama early teachings. He went on to teach the Mahayana and the Vajrayana technologies. The Vajrayana became the basis of Tibetan Buddhism, which very definitely includes the concepts of personal spiritual immortality and reincarnation. The idea that Scientology is technological Buddhism is entirely correct.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
"The idea that Scientology is technological Buddhism is entirely correct."

"If Gotama were alive today as a human being, he would become a Scientologist in a heartbeat"

Hymn of Asia.

I don't believe Gotama would accept scn communistic type policy, or clapping for the devil.

Veda

Sponsor
There is a disucssion on this today, Marty says:
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/scientologys-new-international-spokesperson/#comments

There are too many comments to paste in here, you'll have to wade through them, sorry. Here's one:

Professor Frank Flynn? I think he means Frank Flinn, the paid shill, who worked for Scientology - as an "expert" - in the 1970s and 1980s. I remember seeing his utterances in dead agent packs and in court transcripts, where he testified on behalf of Scientology.

Ah yes, Buddhism, always a safe topic. After all we know who RON was and is...

I can be addressed
But in our temples best
Address me and you address
Lord Buddha.
Address Lord Buddha
And you then address
Metteyya.

L. Ron Hubbard, from 'Hymn of Asia'

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Oh gaaaaaawwwwd! WANK! WANK! WANK! WANK! WANK! These people are so full of it.

DAMN! So was I once upon a time. :duh:

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh gaaaaaawwwwd! WANK! WANK! WANK! WANK! WANK! These people are so full of it.

:duh:

:dieslaughing:
My thoughts too.
Mighty clears and OT's whose mighty religion is so fragile they have to grasp at the tiniest straw to give more legitimacy to their beliefs.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
If Gotama were alive today as a human being, he would become a Scientologist in a heartbeat.

There is only one things missing from this briefing....

If Gotama were alive today
as a human being on this planet,
he would become a Scientologist in a heartbeat.​

It's always good practice for a Scientologist to add "on this planet" to bring a certain sense of grandeur, gravitas and reduce laughter.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
As a fellow Buddhist, as well as a Scientologist, let me clear up for you a huge misunderstanding people have about Gotama’s doctrine of no-self. The “self” that one gets rid of in Buddhism is not the thetan as an awareness-of-awareness unit. It is all the valences, both self-created and otherwise accumulated, that Scientology addresses and removes.

If Scientology "removes valences" why are the vast number of people who have applied Scientology blown and in the valence of an SP?

In truth, Scientology attempts to remove the person and leave in place only the valence of a Scientologist. Ergo Mary Sue Hubbard going to federal prison. Ergo, David Miscavige beating the hell out of people. Ergo, ergo, ergo....

If anything is provably being "removed" it is Scientologists who are removing themselves from Scientology's financial rape and psychological terrorism.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I used to think that these dipwiddles would, one day, find true bottom. But apparently I was being optimistic.

It would seem that Marty has an endless supply of inanity that he can draw on.

You know what I find to be almost childishly pathetic? How Marty and the Ilk will fawn over any passing non-scientologist who, if paid, might say an almost kind word about them. Kind of like being grateful to a hooker.

It is in reading their stuff that I do gain a true sense of relief that I really don;t belong with these people!

Gadfly

Crusader
Marty is SUCH an ASS.

Yep, I can see Buddha standing in front of an Anonymous protest yelling at some protester, "what are your crimes"! I can see Buddha digging through PC folders of ex-Scn critics to cull information that can be "used against them" as blackmail or introverting quips at a protest.

I can really see Buddha standing up and clapping to a bronze bust of Hubturd.

I have no doubt that Buddha would quickly end up declared and fair gamed for disagreeing with the Fuhrer (Hubbard).

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
As a fellow Buddhist, as well as a Scientologist, let me clear up for you a huge misunderstanding people have about Gotama’s doctrine of no-self. The “self” that one gets rid of in Buddhism is not the thetan as an awareness-of-awareness unit.

It is all the valences, both self-created and otherwise accumulated, that Scientology addresses and removes.

Mmmm? What about the intense, thick, deep and soggy VALENCE known as the "Scientologist"? That being the moronic PERSONALITY that develops, grows and continues to exist through close indoctrination of Hubbard's MANY abritrary ideas. The ""thetan" IDENTIFIES with these many Scientology ideas. Remember, part of Buddhism involves removing identification and attachment. From my experience, the usual Scientologist is severely ATTACHED to the ideas and practices of Scientology.

While, in some regard Scientology acts to reduce aspects of this created psuedo-personality (the "self"), it also acts to CREATE a HUGE personality known as the true-believing Scientologist.

That some people can't and don't see this is amazing to me.

Also, I do not see that Scientology acts to address and reduce the same thing that Buddhism addresses. There are some similarities, but that is all.

Veda

Sponsor
It's also interesting that Marty Rathbun references Frank Flinn. Anyone curious might wish to google Frank Flinn, Scientology, and Frank Flinn, Scientology, Mary Sue, or Frank Flinn, Scientology, Armstrong, or Frank Flinn, Scientology, RPF, etc., Intelligence [operations], Fair Game, etc.

Mystic

Crusader
Well, in reading this thread I've thought of several replies. So I'll just sum 'em all up:

:scnsucks:

All of it.

And COTB, the Clam on the Beach, is doing his implant job, leading the weepers and boohoos on up a little higher.

And I can very assure you The Buddha is still around...and very not around anything Hubbard spew :grouch:

Sindy

Crusader
Marty is SUCH an ASS.

Yep, I can see Buddhe standing in front of an Anonymous protest yelling at some protester, "what are your crimes"! I can see Buddha digging through PC folders of ex-Scn critics to cull information that can be "used against them" as blackmail or introverting quips at a protest.

I can really see Buddha standing up and clapping to a bronze bust of Hubturd.

I have no doubt that Buddha would quickly end up declared and fair gamed for disagreeing with the Fuhrer (Hubbard).

I don't remember what lecture, may be the "Road to Truth" where LRH gives Buddha shit for not carrying the truth ALL THE WAY, for not taping the road out all the way - unlike LRH. Yeah, right.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
LRH is like Buddha.
Scientology is like a cute little puppy.
An e-meter is like a 24 inch Pizza.
The basics books are like a red Ferrari.
David Miscavige is like Gandhi.
Ideal Orgs are like the Taj Mahal.
Sec checks are like a manicure.
The RPF is like Disneyland.
2pm Thursday is like Christmas.
Being in the Sea Org is like being a member of U2.
Marty Rathbun is like Eddie Murphy when he was good.
The IAS are like the Telletubbies.
Mike Rinder is like Dr Who.

Everyone wins in Scientology.