What's new

Belfast Gay Pride says no to Anonymous

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Arc,

Dude, I was "with" you for a while on this. Particularly the fact of having masked people in the parade, when the whole point of the parade is to have pride and be "out" so you don't have to have a mask.

That being said, please read this:

Why do some of those that protest in front of Scientology buildings wear masks? Because PIs of the church figure out who they are and harrass them and sue them. Protesters have been arrested as "terrorists" - have served JAIL TIME. When the Church finds out that any of the annons have family members remaining in the cult, they force disconnection.

How many people in and out of Scientology? It's high tens of thousands, if not more. It's caused major damage.

Remember the days when Gay's served time? Why don't YOU GUYS (AND GALS) come out and support us?

Frankly, we need the help.

P.S. Even if Scientology was just a tiny cult and we should all get a life, it isn't going to happen without some MAJOR handling of organized Scientology. Come help us and put your shoulder to the wheel.

Jesus would!

P.S. Think Scientology is "fun and games"? Read this!!!! http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=18180

Last edited:

Arcangel

Patron
It's a nutjob cult that is certified as such as I stated prior there are many thing to protest and this is a joke at best.

Arcangel

Patron
So I'm a joke?

So, what you're saying is that Scn is not a cult? I can verify and prove on this website alone that it is.

AnonKat

Crusader
So I'm a joke?

So, what you're saying is that Scn is not a cult? I can verify and prove on this website alone that it is.

Th Church of Scientology is a Cult that hurts people. You saying that it shouldn't be protested because it is a cult makes people think you are a Joke. Many people on this board have been hurt imensly and the abuses still go on.

And the Cult wants to spread like aids/ads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72h9BFfiGMs

byte301

Crusader
So I'm a joke?

Nice try. And it's not even Staturday. I'd call troll but you're not even good enough for that title.

Stick around. Maybe you can get your stats up before Thurs. But don't count on it.:lol:

Arcangel

Patron
Far from staff of Scn, been there done that for a few months in college not realizing what it was lol

I just see bigger issues than people with very low self-esteem and easily swayed by the power of suggestion an important cause.

I know how many have been hurt recall I saw it first hand as I've said elsewhere. You want to hit 'em hit 'em in the courts, I've seen the protests in person and online and as a person who has nothing to do with Scn I don't understand what it'll do.

AnonKat

Crusader
Far from staff of Scn, been there done that for a few months in college not realizing what it was lol

I just see bigger issues than people with very low self-esteem and easily swayed by the power of suggestion an important cause.

I know how many have been hurt recall I saw it first hand as I've said elsewhere. You want to hit 'em hit 'em in the courts, I've seen the protests in person and online and as a person who has nothing to do with Scn I don't understand what it'll do.

Everybody picks his own fights. Scientology is a cancer that feeds of socïety. Tell me what do you yourself besides.

Courts are just one small thing. They OWNED the courts. Anonymous needed to get public attention and sway public opinion.

"If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization, always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace. Peace is bought with an exchange of advantage, so make the advantage and then settle. Don't ever defend. Always attack. Don't ever do nothing. Unexpected attacks in the rear of the enemy's front ranks work best." - L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, "Department of Governmental Affairs", 15 Aug 1960

"The purpose of the suit is to harass and discourage rather than to win. The law can be used very easily to harass, and enough harassment on somebody who is simply on the thin edge anyway, well knowing that he is not authorized, will generally be sufficient to cause his professional decease. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly." - L. Ron Hubbard, A MANUAL ON THE DISSEMINATION OF MATERIAL, 1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkQ32tJd20Y

byte301

Crusader

See, that's just it. You DON'T understand but you come on this board and talk down to the op and anyone else who protests. You haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about yet you insult the people that actually know what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Now you insult all the exes on this board by saying they have low self esteem. And you insult yourself since you were once in the cult.

If you're not a scilon troll or a complete narcissist why don't you go read some of the people's stories on this board. Then come back and tell us how insignificant scientology is and why we shouldn't bother protesting it.

Arcangel

Patron
Wasn't a Scn, never even read Dianetics if you read everything I've written. Secondly, I "get" that much but screaming at those who don't listen to the point of unfocused (per YouTube videos and postings on here) and yelling at buildings is harassment.

I was staff, yes most that I came into contact had such. Ask why they do what they do it was the "search for something". How someone can get "reg'd" for that much to the power of suggestion to that level I don't understand either.

I've read the stories and curious how as a college kid I saw beyond the curtain to get to that level of control over you. I resisted and fought it all the way.

byte301

Crusader
Wasn't a Scn, never even read Dianetics if you read everything I've written. Secondly, I "get" that much but screaming at those who don't listen to the point of unfocused (per YouTube videos and postings on here) and yelling at buildings is harassment.

I was staff, yes most that I came into contact had such. Ask why they do what they do it was the "search for something". How someone can get "reg'd" for that much to the power of suggestion to that level I don't understand either.

I've read the stories and curious how as a college kid I saw beyond the curtain to get to that level of control over you. I resisted and fought it all the way.

Since you were so clever to avoid scientology I have to wonder why you'd want to spend your time on a board full of dumbasses?

Why don't you go solve the hunger problem in Africa or something important rather then ragging on us? I'm sure there over there waiting for you with baited breath.

In the meantime we'll continue doing what we do because we want to and we can.

AnonKat

Crusader

Your arrogance and misplaced moral superiority aside, you were lucky.

The answer is some do and some don't It has nothing to do with intelligence because it is known that people drawn in by cults have an above average intelligence.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/265-who-joins-cults-and-why

Is there a certain type of person who is more likely to join a cult? No.

Individual vulnerability factors matter much more than personality type when it comes to joining or staying in a cult or abusive relationship. “Everyone is influenced and persuaded daily in various ways,” writes the late Margaret Singer, “but the vulnerability to influence varies. The ability to fend off persuaders is reduced when one is rushed, stressed, uncertain, lonely, indifferent, uninformed, distracted, or fatigued…. Also affecting vulnerability are the status and power of the persuader…. No one type of person is prone to become involved with cults. About two-thirds of those studied have been normal young persons induced to join groups in periods of personal crisis, [such as] broken romance or failures to get the job or college of their choice. Vulnerable, the young person affiliates with a cult offering promises of unconditional love, new mental powers, and social utopia. Since modern cults are persistent and often deceptive in their recruiting, many prospective group members have no accurate knowledge of the cult and almost no understanding of what eventually will be expected of them as long-term members.”1

Many cults have flourished in recent decades, and changes in recruitment styles and targets have occurred. In the 1970s and early ’80s, primarily young adults, either in college or some other life transition, joined these groups. At that time, cults were extremely active (and some still are) on college campuses and in places where young people congregate. Today, however, increasing numbers of people in their late twenties and older are joining cult groups or getting involved in abusive relationships. In fact, the majority of inquiries to cult information resources involve new recruits or adherents who are in their thirties to fifties, or even sixties. Still no single personality profile characterizes cult members.2

Most experts agree, though, that whether the joiner is young or old, certain predisposing factors may facilitate attraction to a cultic system, the success of recruitment and indoctrination efforts, and the length and depth of involvement. These factors include:

•A desire to belong
•Unassertiveness (the inability to say no or express criticism or doubt)
•Gullibility (impaired capacity to question critically what one is told, observes, thinks, and so forth)
•Low tolerance for ambiguity (need for absolute answers, impatience to obtain answers)
•Cultural disillusionment (alienation, dissatisfaction with the status quo)
•Idealism
•Susceptibility to trance-like states (in some cases, perhaps, due to prior hallucinogenic drug experiences)
•A lack of self-confidence
•A desire for spiritual meaning
•Ignorance of how groups can manipulate individuals

A wide range of human susceptibility emerges when we combine the list of predisposing factors with the potential vulnerabilities mentioned above. The stereotype of a recruit is a young person worried about leaving college or uncertain about “facing life.” The reality, however, is that anyone, at any agein a moment of confusion, personal crisis, or simply a life transitionmay become attracted to or drawn in by a cult’s appeal. “New in town, lost a job, recently divorced, a friend or family member just died, need a career change, feel a little blue?” The unstable and anxious feelings experienced at such times make a person vulnerable, whether that person is twenty or seventy years old. If a vulnerable person happens to cross paths with a cult advertisement or personal recruiter putting forth even a mildly interesting offer, then that ad will likely pay for itself and that recruiter will stand a good chance of making her mark. According to Michael Langone, “Conversion to cults is not truly a matter of choice. Vulnerabilities do not merely ‘lead’ individuals to a particular group. The group manipulates these vulnerabilities and deceives prospects in order to persuade them to join and, ultimately, renounce their old lives.”

While we are at it, let’s shatter another myth: people who join cults are not stupid, weird, crazy, weak-willed, or neurotic. Most cult members are of above-average intelligence, well adjusted, adaptable, and perhaps a bit idealistic. In relatively few cases is there a history of a pre-existing mental disorder.

Anyone is capable of being recruited (or seduced) into a cult if his personal and situational circumstances are right. Currently there are so many cults formed around so many different types of beliefs that it is impossible for a person to truthfully claim that he would never be vulnerable to a cult’s appeal. Cult recruitment is not mysterious. It is as simple and commonplace as the seduction and persuasion processes used by lovers and advertisers. However, depending on the degree of deception and manipulation involved, the resultant attachments can be even more powerful.

This article has been excerpted from Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships by Janja Lalich and Madeleine Tobias (Bay Tree Publishing). It is posted at Apologetics Index by permission. More information available at http://www.baytreepublish.com/take-back-life-fr.html

See Also:

•Who Joins Cults, And Why?
•Cults as Power Structures
•Categories of Cults
•Characteristics of Cults
•Contract for Membership in a Cultic Group or Relationship
•Take Back Your Life: Recovering From Cults and Abusive Relationships
•CultFAQ.org: Frequently Asked Questions About Cults

Arcangel

Patron
Moral Superiority?
You pay for a 3rd grade style workbook for $25k that's not judgement it's ultimate stupidity plain and simple.

AnonKat

Crusader
Moral Superiority?
You pay for a 3rd grade style workbook for $25k that's not judgement it's ultimate stupidity plain and simple.

That was not the point of your question

Is there a certain type of person who is more likely to join a cult? No.

Individual vulnerability factors matter much more than personality type when it comes to joining or staying in a cult or abusive relationship. “Everyone is influenced and persuaded daily in various ways,” writes the late Margaret Singer, “but the vulnerability to influence varies. The ability to fend off persuaders is reduced when one is rushed, stressed, uncertain, lonely, indifferent, uninformed, distracted, or fatigued…. Also affecting vulnerability are the status and power of the persuader…. No one type of person is prone to become involved with cults. About two-thirds of those studied have been normal young persons induced to join groups in periods of personal crisis, [such as] broken romance or failures to get the job or college of their choice. Vulnerable, the young person affiliates with a cult offering promises of unconditional love, new mental powers, and social utopia. Since modern cults are persistent and often deceptive in their recruiting, many prospective group members have no accurate knowledge of the cult and almost no understanding of what eventually will be expected of them as long-term members.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/265-who-joins-cults-and-why

AnonKat

Crusader
Moral Superiority?

That was not the point of your question

http://www.csj.org/studyindex/studycult/cultqa4.htm

Who Joins Cults and Why?

Contrary to a popular misconception that cult members are "crazy," research and clinical evidence strongly suggest that most cult members are relatively normal individuals, although about one-third appear to have had mild psychiatric disorders before joining. (It should be noted, however, that a recent study by the National Institute of Mental Health found that approximately 20% of the general population has at least one psychiatric disorder.)

Cult members include the young, the old, the wealthy, the poor, the educated, and the uneducated. There is no easily identifiable "type" of person who joins cults. Nevertheless, clinical experience and informal surveys indicate that a very large majority of cult joiners were experiencing significant stress (frequently related to normal crises of adolescence and young adulthood, such as romantic breakup, school failure, vocational confusion) prior to their cult conversion. Because their normal ways of coping were not working well for them, these stressed individuals were more open than usual to recruiters selling "roads to happiness."

Other factors that may render some persons susceptible to cultic influence include:

dependency (the desire to belong; lack of self-confidence);
unassertiveness (inability to say no or express criticism or doubt);
gullibility (impaired capacity to question critically what one is told, observes, thinks, etc.);
low tolerance for ambiguity (need for absolute answers, impatience to obtain answers);
cultural disillusionment (alienation, dissatisfaction with status quo);
naive idealism;
desire for spiritual meaning;
susceptibility to trance-like states (in some cases, perhaps, because of prior hallucinogenic drug experiences); and
ignorance of the ways in which groups can manipulate individuals.
When persons made vulnerable by one or more of these factors encounter a group which practices mind control, conversion may very well occur, depending upon how well the group’s doctrine, social environment, and mind control practices match the specific vulnerabilities of the recruits. Unassertive individuals, for instance, may be especially susceptible to the enticements of an authoritarian, hierarchical group because they are afraid to challenge the group’s dogmatic orientation.

Conversion to cults is not truly a matter of choice. Vulnerabilities do not merely "lead" individuals to a particular group. The group manipulates these vulnerabilities and deceives prospects in order to persuade them to join and, ultimately, renounce their old lives.

How Do People Who Join Cults Change?

After converts commit themselves to a cult, the cult’s way of thinking, feeling, and acting becomes second nature, while important aspects of their pre-cult personalities are suppressed or, in a sense, decay through disuse. New converts at first frequently appear to be shell-shocked by the bombardment of the cult’s mind controlling techniques. They may appear "spaced out," rigid and stereotyped in their responses, limited in their use of language, impaired in their ability to think critically, and oddly distant in their relationships with others. Parents have been known to say, "That’s not my kid!" Such observations account for the common contention that cult members are "zombies" or glassy-eyed "robots." Although this description is an overstatement, it does reflect the fact that intense cultic manipulations can trigger altered states of consciousness in some persons.

In time, converts seem to lose the tension and "spaced-out," distant quality. They learn techniques, such as chanting, to stifle doubts and to make it easier to lie to others and themselves. They often lose contact with people from their pre-cult lives as a result of the cult’s isolating opposition to parents and society. And they receive rewards for conforming to the demands of the group on which they have become so dependent.

If allowed to break into consciousness, suppressed memories or nagging doubts may generate anxiety which, in turn, may trigger a defensive trance-induction, such as speaking in tongues, to protect the cult-imposed system of thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Such persons may function adequately—at least on a superficial level. Nevertheless, their continued adjustment depends on their keeping their old thinking styles, goals, values, and personal attachments "in storage." A normal level of psychological development and personality integration is very difficult to achieve.

How Can Cults Harm People?

Because they often recognize the harmful changes that are not apparent to seduced converts, families are usually the first to be hurt. In their attempts to help cult-involved relatives, families experience intense frustration, helplessness, guilt, and, because so few people understand their plight, loneliness.

Members may be harmed in that they lose their psychological autonomy and frequently their assets. Furthermore, the group’s partial-to-total disconnection from society deprives members of the opportunity to learn from the varied experiences that a normal life provides. Members may lose irretrievable years in a state of "maturational arrest." In some cases, they undergo psychiatric breakdowns and/or suffer from physical disease and injury. Children in cults appear to be at high risk for abuse and neglect.

Those who leave cults frequently experience anxiety, depression, rage, guilt, distrust, fear, thought disturbances, and "floating," the shifting from cult to non-cult ways of viewing the world or the sense of being stalled in a foggy, "in-between" state of consciousness. This emotional turmoil impairs decision-making and interferes with the management of life tasks.

Indeed, many ex-members require one to two years to return to their former level of adaptation, while some may have psychological breakdowns or remain psychologically scarred for years.

Not all who join are psychologically damaged. Some may find the cult to be a safe haven from unmanageable difficulties in the non-cult world. Others who have histories of maintaining emotional distance may follow the cult without ever truly becoming part of it or being deeply affected by it. And some may have personal strengths, such as an unusual capacity to resist group pressure, that enable them to maintain a measure of autonomy, even in a powerful, compliance-gaining environment

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey Arc,

let's make a plan, since you know it all.

You go take the Cl4 Internship, then we'll meet for coffee somewhere in Manhatttan in a couple of years.

Then you tell me about mind control.