What's new

My hope for this board

diarbe

You are going fab Emma. You are going to make mistakes along the way too. And to your critics I ask these questions:

Aren't we tired of endless & divisive Bob Minton/LMT arguements?

Aren't we tired of the same old posters reposting their stories again and again..?

Aren't we tired of people thinking they have to be "Bad Asses" all the time?

Aren't we tired of seeing new critics being pressured and manipulated or shunned for having anything but Homogenized viewpoints?

Aren't we tired of moronic animated gifs used to malign scientologists and critics alike?

And yes...Aren't we tired of weekly Lisa McPherson threads?

I think all you can do is try to learn and not repeat the same old problems...
we can do some original screwups..! heh.

UMike
I tend to agree with the basic sentiment, but what would Lisa say if you could hear her?... Though I have not seen these irritating "threads" at this time, I think if we forget that a terrible injustice has not been righted and that we who read this, are perhaps the few on the planet and even until the end of current lives, the only ones who can and may well ever be able to set things right, I just think we should welcome them till justice is done, so that we ourselves may never find ourselves in a similar situation....

Since I left the CoS at around the late 1970s I have experienced the world outside of Scientology, and I don't think anyone has anything at all to be too dis-compassionate about... I am speaking generally and philosophically here; not directing criticism to any one person.

To get a proper view of this era from pre-Scientology to post and beyond, it is important to view each year and each phase of the life of the Church and especially the Tech in perspective. It is a gargantuan task to understand it all and the only reason I have survived it is because of my own case level as a result of Hubbard's development of the auditing tech.

diarbe

"etc .........We're all just people trying to figure it out and being uncivil would deflect and detract from anything anyone's doing along those lines........etc"

What a lovely piece of writing Fluffy. Thank you so much for your so insightful words.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
diarbe,

I think that Mike was talking about seeing the same old thing over and over again over many years. (But, yes, we shouldn't forget about the stuff you bring up.)

Contrary to what you read above, Mike is quite upbeat and positive, on the phone, about life in general. As far as when I have ever talked to him, he is not a negative type of person (at least to me). Maybe his online persona can sound that way? Is that what you feel about it?

I also saw Mike change a bit over some time (haven't most of us?). He is not like his old FACTNet posting days. (He also tried to bury an old hatchet with Tory. I liked him for that. I am sure that that was hard to do.)

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Thanks!

It's something I thought of after being on forums 9 years. (gawd, has it really been that long?)

There surely are a lot of people with different opinions about - well, anything, really, but in this case Scn- and sometimes people get kind of worried about what others may be doing, saying, and thinking.

I've seen feelings get hurt, people get angry- over things people say, things people say they believe.

I think that this is mostly unnecessary though I do understand it's part of the human condition. (and here, I'm not doing a Scientology/anti-being-human thing. I just mean people in general.)

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Repost

*bump*

This board will become exactly what we create.

It's up to you.

I'm writing this to clarify for all (including myself) what this board is for.

As an ex Scientologist, I felt like there was no place where I could truly be myself. I felt pressured to conform to a certain set of "rules" about how to think about Scientology & my experience inside Scientology. I was sick of getting abused for defending ex's who found even a glimmer of goodness in Scientology. I was upset that there seemed to be no safe place for ex's to go to share their experiences, both good and bad.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I've been given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do and who I should and shouldn't have on the board. Some want it this way, and some want it that way. Others want it a some other way.

Some say I should have had all this sorted out before I launched the board. Maybe I should have. Some complain that the rules seem to be forming as we go along. I can't deny there is an element of that as I learn what people want and need.

Maybe my idea of just providing a place for ex's to talk was too simple. I don't think it was, but perhaps it need a further defining.

What this board is:

A place where ex scientologists and interested general public can get together to discuss various experiences in Scientology.

A place where where ex's and non ex's can mingle and chat and get to know how the other half think and live.

A place to learn from each other.

A place to support each other.

A place to swap ideas and suggestions.

A place to civilly debate issues so that other viewpoints can be offered and tossed around and horizons can be broadened.

A place to be allowed to defend your position and not apologise for it, yet at the same time allow others to have their own.

A place that people feel safe to expose the abuses of this harmful cult, so the true story can be told.

A place where newly "out" Scientologists can come and be heard and learn and be supported through a really tough period in their lives.

A place to make people laugh and have some fun and to not take it all so seriously.

A place to expose the traps and pitfalls in returning to a "normal" existance, and to learn some tips and helpful suggestions in making this transition.

What this board isn't:

A vehicle to exact verbal revenge on those who have harmed us both inside and outside of Scientology. By that I mean continuing to trade insults & flame wars that are a hang over from past relationships, fueds from other messageboards, chat channels etc.

A place to blame and crucify others for what happened to you. Over time there are going to be people who find other ex members who they feel were responsible for some cruelty that was bestowed on them. Whilst this is understandable, and needs to be addressed, it needs to be understood that EVERYONE did things in Scientology of which they are not proud.

A place to ridicule "believers". People find their way out of the Scientology mindset at different speeds and to different degrees. What they need is understanding, not to be fobbed off and called a "stoopid clam" etc.

________________________________________​

I believe anyone who has been exposed to Scientology for any length of time has had damage done. None of us are perfect, and I doubt any of us would be here if we were all 100% "recovered".

My hope is that this group of misfits can do some good, for ourselves and for each other.

I know there will be differing opinions. I know tempers will flare. I know people will say things they don't necessarily mean. All I ask is that you think before you type and ask yourself if what you are about to "submit" is going to cause more harm than good.

You don't need to like everybody on this board. That would be impossible. It is no different in the workplace or even in family life. But in these situations a "professional" or cordial relationship is established instead. I hope these same social rules can be adopted here.

I've been criticized for wanting to turn this into a "knitting club" or "afternoon tea party". I think that is bullshit. I don't believe that civility automatically means softness or sensorship. I believe that MORE exposure of the harms of Scientology can be achieved if the atmosphere is civil and friendly rather than one of fear. In other words, I don't want to play "momma", handling spats between people. This is not supposed to be a sandpit. If you want to play the flaming game for the mere sake of flaming, then alt.religion.scientology may be the place for you.

I don't know exactly what the stats are of people (staff & public) blowing Scientology. But I know there are 1000s and 1000s of people who will be looking for a place like this to help them. When they do start to look, I hope they will find that this board is designed for them. A friendly, civil, intelligent crowd who have had years of experience in and out of Scientology waiting to welcome them.

Thanks,

Emma​

Kerry

Patron with Honors
This is the curse of the mod/admin "function." The myth of 'impartiality' comes into it, but how that's possibible nobody knows, or is, and being an online Mom or Dad is not the least bit thrilling unless of course one's a totalitarian dictator or aspiring in that direction.

Fab board, beautiful person. :bighug:

For me?
Remember Lisa

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Repost.

I'm reposting this in the hope that people will read it (and re read it) and understand better why ESMB exists. I wrote this over 12 months ago but nothing has really changed except the board has grown. The message remains the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm writing this to clarify for all (including myself) what this board is for.

As an ex Scientologist, I felt like there was no place where I could truly be myself. I felt pressured to conform to a certain set of "rules" about how to think about Scientology & my experience inside Scientology. I was sick of getting abused for defending ex's who found even a glimmer of goodness in Scientology. I was upset that there seemed to be no safe place for ex's to go to share their experiences, both good and bad.

Over the last 3 weeks or so I've been given a lot of advice about what I should and shouldn't do and who I should and shouldn't have on the board. Some want it this way, and some want it that way. Others want it a some other way.

Some say I should have had all this sorted out before I launched the board. Maybe I should have. Some complain that the rules seem to be forming as we go along. I can't deny there is an element of that as I learn what people want and need.

Maybe my idea of just providing a place for ex's to talk was too simple. I don't think it was, but perhaps it need a further defining.

What this board is:

A place where ex Scientologists and interested general public can get together to discuss various experiences in Scientology.

A place where where ex's and non ex's can mingle and chat and get to know how the other half think and live.

A place to civilly debate issues so that other viewpoints can be offered and tossed around and horizons can be broadened.

A place to be allowed to defend your position and not apologise for it, yet at the same time allow others to have their own.

A place that people feel safe to expose the abuses of this harmful cult, so the true story can be told.

A place where newly "out" Scientologists can come and be heard and learn and be supported through a really tough period in their lives.

A place to make people laugh and have some fun and to not take it all so seriously.

A place to expose the traps and pitfalls in returning to a "normal" existence, and to learn some tips and helpful suggestions in making this transition.

What this board isn't:

A vehicle to exact verbal revenge on those who have harmed us both inside and outside of Scientology. By that I mean continuing to trade insults & flame wars that are a hang over from past relationships, feuds from other message boards, chat channels etc.

A place to blame and crucify others for what happened to you. Over time there are going to be people who find other ex members who they feel were responsible for some cruelty that was bestowed on them. Whilst this is understandable, and needs to be addressed, it needs to be understood that EVERYONE did things in Scientology of which they are not proud.

A place to ridicule "believers". People find their way out of the Scientology mindset at different speeds and to different degrees. What they need is understanding, not to be fobbed off and called a "stoopid clam" etc.

________________________________________​

I believe anyone who has been exposed to Scientology for any length of time has had damage done. None of us are perfect, and I doubt any of us would be here if we were all 100% "recovered".​

My hope is that this group of misfits can do some good, for ourselves and for each other.​

I know there will be differing opinions. I know tempers will flare. I know people will say things they don't necessarily mean. All I ask is that you think before you type and ask yourself if what you are about to "submit" is going to cause more harm than good.​

You don't need to like everybody on this board. That would be impossible. It is no different in the workplace or even in family life. But in these situations a "professional" or cordial relationship is established instead. I hope these same social rules can be adopted here.​

I've been criticized for wanting to turn this into a "knitting club" or "afternoon tea party". I think that is bullshit. I don't believe that civility automatically means softness or censorship. I believe that MORE exposure of the harms of Scientology can be achieved if the atmosphere is civil and friendly rather than one of fear. In other words, I don't want to play "momma", handling spats between people. This is not supposed to be a sandpit. If you want to play the flaming game for the mere sake of flaming, then alt.religion.scientology may be the place for you.​

I don't know exactly what the stats are of people (staff & public) blowing Scientology. But I know there are 1000s and 1000s of people who will be looking for a place like this to help them. When they do start to look, I hope they will find that this board is designed for them. A friendly, civil, intelligent crowd who have had years of experience in and out of Scientology waiting to welcome them.​

Thanks,​

Emma​

Please don't try to characterise ESMB as a "Free zone board" a "Critics board" or any other TYPE of board. It's a melting pot of ex Scientologists of all shapes and sizes who come here to talk to other ex Scientologists. It has no agenda, no "message" and no cause.

If this doesn't suit you I respectfully ask you to think about posting elsewhere instead of complaining that the board doesn't meet your needs. Like anything in this world, you can't please all of the people all of the time and I'm not even going to try to do that.

Good twin

Floater
This is the only place I found that meets my needs. I intend to stay. The people here are the people I choose to communicate with. It's a fabulous opportunity as far as I am concerned. Even if not everyone here understands what I am saying or where I am coming from, I know that some do. I don't know how I could find that anywhere else. I'm thrilled to have found all of you. Thanks Emma. You certainly have accomplished what you set out to. :yes:

duddins

Patron Meritorious
This is the only place I found that meets my needs. I intend to stay. The people here are the people I choose to communicate with. It's a fabulous opportunity as far as I am concerned. Even if not everyone here understands what I am saying or where I am coming from, I know that some do. I don't know how I could find that anywhere else. I'm thrilled to have found all of you. Thanks Emma. You certainly have accomplished what you set out to. :yes:

There is nowhere else like it! :happydance: :sing: :happydance:

Kerry

Patron with Honors
There is nowhere else like it!

This is true.

And a big TA! for encouraging us never-beens to be part of it. As you know, and I'm extremely, unbelievably, unconscionably, preposterously, blatently embarrassed to tell you again ..

I LOVE YOU FROM AFAR. LONG TIME NOW.

:handinhand:

Your board has done more than achieve its original goal, Emma, it's balooned out to serve many unexpected functions. That's quite a feat. Good on you!

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm reposting this in the hope that people will read it (and re read it) and understand better why ESMB exists. I wrote this over 12 months ago but nothing has really changed except the board has grown. The message remains the same.

Please don't try to characterise ESMB as a "Free zone board" a "Critics board" or any other TYPE of board. It's a melting pot of ex Scientologists of all shapes and sizes who come here to talk to other ex Scientologists. It has no agenda, no "message" and no cause.

If this doesn't suit you I respectfully ask you to think about posting elsewhere instead of complaining that the board doesn't meet your needs. Like anything in this world, you can't please all of the people all of the time and I'm not even going to try to do that.

What this board is:

A place where ex Scientologists and interested general public can get together to discuss various experiences in Scientology.

A place to expose the traps and pitfalls in returning to a "normal" existence, and to learn some tips and helpful suggestions in making this transition.

:omg:

Hmmm.....for a no case gain SP Emma - you sure made these above intentions manifest in the physical universe! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I often wonder how big are you?

And where are you now?

:lol:

Alan

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Emma,

For me, these rules or better "what this board is/isn't" is GREAT.

I actually wish I had found this board about a year earlier than I had. I think it would have been a great benefit to me during my recovering. Which I'm still going thru even after being out for 2 years.

Recovering from the CofS, for me, has been like peeling an onion. Some days I'm fine, other's I'm a mess. This board helps, so I don't feel the need/desire to go back to the CofS to help "fix" me. This board has done more "fixing of me" in the few months I've been registered, than I would have ever imagined.

So, I thank you for starting this board. And I thank all that post here, that have helped me in my recovery process. As much as I'd like all to be better now or yesterday, I'm learning from this board that it may take several years to fully recover from being in the CofS. And as much as I don't like that thought (years and years to recover), at least I'm not alone in my recovering. And not being alone, makes the process easier/more tolerable to go thru.

THANK YOU, EMMA AND ALL THE OTHER POSTERS ON THIS BOARD!!!!:hattip: