What's new

I have a new opinion about ESMB

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I didn't mind writing Success Stories, but I really hated it when "fresh meat" from Book 1 auditing were hit with the "Examiner" and then having a Success Story solicited.

I minded writing them. It was really embarrassing when a success story was read at a staff meeting, too. I never needed people clapping for me, I always felt like the "win" was the reward, so why the fuck are they clapping?

I've had a number of people I worked with, and only a few offered to write a success story (or as they called it, a "testimonial"). I was happy to have them write it down, and I keep it in a little folder to look at, sometimes, but really, it's between me and them and whoever they want to share it with.

IMO, it's gross to solicit these things and then spread them around.

Terril park

Sponsor
Yeah they could but nobody did. It was kinda Terril's territory.

Wanna know why I put it there in the first place?

Terril used to get a really hard time on OCMB about posting success stories. I didn't really have an opinion one way or another but I was disgusted at the photos and animated gifs that people posted of Terril. It was dehumanising. So as I was all about "sticking it up OCMB" (at the time :p) I agreed to allow Terril to have his own SS thread after he approached me about it. At the time I thought the only people who'd ever visit ESMB were OCMB rejects and open minded FZers and that the population wouldn't exceed 100 max.

It seemed pretty clear to me that prior to ESMB there were more ex
CO$ coming to FZ forums than there were new critics arriving to the net.
However by creating a forum that had some measure of keeping things civilized a far greater number of critics were forthcoming. OCMB and ARS
were pretty rough places where many it seems did not want to post even if they lurked. In comparison ESMB has encouraged many more to actively participate. Also in these last few years numbers of people leaving COS
have accelerated. Note that the more, shall we say indoctrinated, scientologists consider this place a waiting room for hell. This in particular being an opinion of those on Marty's blog. I've challenged that view from time to time there. You seemed to have taken a very good balance in how you have moderated, and ESMB has been thus a great success and socially very beneficial.

[snip]

It's not always the way. Fluffy wrote a post or two about how she was treated regarding SS in the FZ. She did feel pressured although I'm sure it wasn't to the same extend as have the Flag examiner bearing down on you :)

Well I've visited the establishment Fluffy is referring to, know the people.
My guess is the only pressure put on her was being asked.

Most people in our FZ forums wouldn't like to visit a critical forum. However
they are happy to give me permission to post them there. You are actually inn a position to see that what SSs are posted on FZ forums are identical to
the ones I've posted here.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
You know I don't think that's what's going on.(bolded)

I think we change when we break free of the cult, we walk our separate ways and in time ESMB becomes redundant to us....or some of us.

Others become angry and find their voice on this board, this is regarded as pretty entheta by those who subscribe to Mr Hubbard's tech. But they might just be trying to separate themselves. Food for thought mate.

Your time is nigh move on Geir and natter no more!

:clap: Thank you, Feral.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Lost

Emma,

I too am appalled at what goes on on those lists at times.... and, actually rarely visit them....

and, I've had the exact same ideas as you were just having...

however, I'll mention a couple of points.

Many of the people that have the time to hang out on those lists are not actively doing much of anything in the FZ and are hardly reflective of the vast majority of Freezoners I know.

It has also not made sense to me why certain senior terminals cannot just use the tech and handle their situations privately, one on one, and not air dirty laundry and personal gripes on public lists.

Nor does it make sense to me why others come forward and take sides and blah blah on and on - rather than telling them to take it off the list and handle the damn situation.

I have my own observations and perceptions of why it is usually the same folks that get themselves in to those predicaments, but I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Suffice it to say, that none of us are perfect.

Marina

I am a bit lost and trying to catch up, piece it together. That's what I get for being gone over long weekend.

What lists? I understand the threads, New Opinion FZ/ESMB - and I am piecing together the gist of all this, but GEES, what lists?

I am not an ex - if that helps explain why I don't have a clue what the lists are about.

Anyone? Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

Last edited:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Maybe ??

Maybe the reason I don't know wht the hell is going on, is because I never read the fz sucess stories thread. I never cared to do that . . . That is a big hole for me . . . :eyeroll:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It seemed pretty clear to me that prior to ESMB there were more ex
CO$ coming to FZ forums than there were new critics arriving to the net.
However by creating a forum that had some measure of keeping things civilized a far greater number of critics were forthcoming. OCMB and ARS
were pretty rough places where many it seems did not want to post even if they lurked. In comparison ESMB has encouraged many more to actively participate. Also in these last few years numbers of people leaving COS
have accelerated. Note that the more, shall we say indoctrinated, scientologists consider this place a waiting room for hell. This in particular being an opinion of those on Marty's blog. I've challenged that view from time to time there. You seemed to have taken a very good balance in how you have moderated, and ESMB has been thus a great success and socially very beneficial.

[snip]

Well I've visited the establishment Fluffy is referring to, know the people.
My guess is the only pressure put on her was being asked.

Most people in our FZ forums wouldn't like to visit a critical forum. However
they are happy to give me permission to post them there. You are actually inn a position to see that what SSs are posted on FZ forums are identical to
the ones I've posted here.

Not really, BB, my friend. The pressure was more than just being asked certain things. There were some pretty scathing things said. I dealt with it, of course, but I can't say that it was good or that it was just being asked things.

Ems, I've dealt with high pressure regging techniques. I didn't find that any tougher than OCMB. And then again, I'm an ornery bitch. But, before people start rolling their eyes, I will say that the pressures I experienced when on staff in CofS were far worse than either. If I were going to make a comparison between the afore mentioned cyber experience and some CofS thing, I'd select the being on staff situation as being probably one of the worst pressures and heartaches I have ever personally experienced. Way worse than regging, way worse than anything outside CofS. To get worse than that, I'd have to have either been in the SO or living in Afghanistan. Outside experiencing either of those things, which I didn't, I'd say being on staff was the worst experience of my life. The one bright spot in it was my marriage to John which also happened during that time. You know, when we managed to have squeezed it in between bouts of sexual harassment, screaming, threats, double teaming, mixed signals, broken promises and overwork. It makes high pressure Flag regging seem like a walk in the park and that, in turn, is a walk in the park compared to my past experiences on OCMB.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yep

It's still there. Bring lunch.

Yep, well I went there, and browsed a few pages - and then knew WHY I never clicked on that thread before . . .

And now that I have almost finished this thread, and read up on a bunch of other stuff that I did a search on, I am starting to get it . . .

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Just one more thing.

I'm particularly upset that your "I have a new opinion" thread got more views and replies that my "I have a new opinion" thread.

:grouch:
Hey Emma, actually I was coached by the same guy who photoshops CoS events to make an audience of 14 RPFers and 3 people looking for the Goldberg Bar Mitzvah look like a rapt audience of 2,000:D

Love, Dex

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
It mighta been Dex - I'm not sure. :unsure:

But insofar as I'm concerned, Dex never left :no: there was no disturbance in the force. :eyeroll::wink2:

Mike

Now wait a minute. Everyone comes and goes places all the time. Why is this such a big deal, especially when no one is really even moving anywhere? They're just typing on a keyboard, for God's sake. I myself come and go DOZENS of times a week-and that's just to the bathroom!

So while we all appreciate the history of this thing, let's get some perspective and get on to the real important stuff, whatever the hell that is.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Originally Posted by Emma
Just one more thing.

I'm particularly upset that your "I have a new opinion" thread got more views and replies that my "I have a new opinion" thread.
It's easily explained; one thread has "ESMB" in the title and the other has "Freezoners", which do you suppose would invite more attention?

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Important stuff...coming & going...

Now wait a minute. Everyone comes and goes places all the time. Why is this such a big deal, especially when no one is really even moving anywhere? They're just typing on a keyboard, for God's sake. I myself come and go DOZENS of times a week-and that's just to the bathroom!

So while we all appreciate the history of this thing, let's get some perspective and get on to the real important stuff, whatever the hell that is.

The sad part about this story is that I only remember the punch line...

...the office staff was looking out the window anxiously, and one cried out
''is the General coming?"

A muffled voice from the bathroom says "not yet, but his eyes are gettin' glassy!"

It's things like this that affirm and validate me as a true "Ethics Particle". :p

EP

Yes, Nex, but Dexter is LIKED ! :whistling:

Mark A. Baker :)